Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic

Unhappy Should people have the choice to kill themselves?

Okay, so suicide is a huge "issue" throughout the world.
    People may feel like that this is the only option, possibly due to stress, depression or loneliness. Whatever the reason, it is still an "issue".

You may be wondering why I have chosen to use " over the word(s) issue.
    That is because, is it really an "issue".
    In some cases, yes. But not all.

The most popular quote I have heard to address suicide is:
    "Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem".

I understand that the person can seek help, which they will be also aware of as it is made very clear through television adds and social media.
    But, what if you honestly have nothing to live for?

Let's create a scenario.
    You're an old women/man, you have just been diagnosed with grade 3 cancer.
    You are advised to do chemotherapy but are not guaranteed that the cancer can be cured.
    Chemo therapy, is probably the hardest part of treating cancer. The person will feel drained, most likely like they're dying.
    Let's say you don't have much family, the remaining family members you don't see regularly and do not have much contact with. You're lonely.
    What is the point in going through all the pain and seemingly never ending treatment?
    In cases like this I believe the person should have the option to be allowed to kill them selves. Obviously in a professional manor such as an injection.
    I know some countries do already allow this which is great.

That is just one example of many reasons people may feel like like they wish to commit suicide.

I am not aiming to offend anyone, I am entitled to my own opinion and I am not saying that depression is an easy thing to handle.

Yes, People Can Get Depressed, Sad, Anxious and Even Act Psychotic. That Doesn’t Make Them Mentally “Diseased.”

Why in poor countries are reported rates of depression significantly less than in western countries? We have everything, they have nothing. You’d think that somebody who doesn’t have food for their family would feel pretty fucking depressed, yet no, it’s the western businessman with everything who feels depressed. The superficial reasons could be many, but ultimately it comes down to one thing: the poor man doesn’t have the time to sit there thinking about himself. The poor man spends his time trying to feed himself and/or his family. This gives his daily life meaning, and it removes that infamous word ‘I‘ from his thoughts.

Please note I am not trying to offend anyone or do anything in such manor. I am simply addressing a huge issue in my personal opinion a lot of people may agree or disagree with me. But please, do not choose to "hate" me over my opinion. Let me know your personal views down below. Add more examples if you wish, I will not argue against your opinion because everyone is entitled to their own and I can't change this. Post below, thankyou.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    people do have the choice to kill themselves smh

Thanks
    My Mood
    Dead
    ofc people can kill themselves of they like.... I wont its just cowardness

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    people do have the choice to kill themselves smh
    Illegally yes, Legally no.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Quote Originally Posted by doyely01 View Post
    what repercussions are there if you kill yourself?

also for the law to change, no life insurance claims could be claimed by families of those that do kill themselves.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    what repercussions are there if you kill yourself?

also for the law to change, no life insurance claims could be claimed by families of those that do kill themselves.
    Yeah, I understand your point and I am not here to argue.

Your opinion obviously differs from mine which I am completely fine with.

You are entitled to believe what you want and I can not change that

Thanks
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Yeah, I understand your point and I am not here to argue.

Your opinion obviously differs from mine which I am completely fine with.

You are entitled to believe what you want and I can not change that
    fair enough, that is fine

Thanks
    You can legally kill your self in certain states with assisted suicide. You have to have a terminal illness though, and event hen courts have ruled against people in some states (conservative religious nutjobs) but there is a handful that will allow it.

Over seas in Europe, not sure where (I think finland) they'll let you kill your self just over psychological issues, like a mental illness or depression... at first there was no rise in people doing this until a few years later when many people started using assisted suicide, many of whom probably shouldn't of killed them selfs.

I believe unlike Europe, we should only have terminal illness suicide. If someone knows there wont be a cure, and they're going to suffer a slow and painful death, or need to be taken care of for the rest of their life, then they have a right to end their life.

Edit: The real problem here is how the private sector deals with this... will we stop treating people for medical illnesses to capitalized off assisted suicide? Instead of giving people medical insurance, maybe we'll just assume they'll kill their selfs. So many implications involved, but ultimately it is a choice, and it's better to have government approval of safe/quick/painless assisted suicides than having some guy with untreatable cancer hang him self....
    Last edited by Dab1996426; 08-24-2016 at 08:08 AM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    It's illegal to kill yourself? I hope when I kill myself I won't get arrested.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by boomer00oo View Post
    It's illegal to kill yourself? I hope when I kill myself I won't get arrested.
    If you even suggest or have the slightest suspicion of suicidal tendencies, anyone can have you arrested and put in the loony bin.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Quote Originally Posted by Dab1996426 View Post
    If you even suggest or have the slightest suspicion of suicidal tendencies, anyone can have you arrested and put in the loony bin.
    That's interesting. To be honest I think anyone should be able to do whatever they want as long as it doesn't physically harm others. Then again with something like this it really should be taken into consideration. If this is what you choose, then that's your choice but it should still have something to be done against it. It isn't a bad thing that it is illegal either because it also doesn't really fall under the category of: "I have been told not to do it so I will" if that makes sense.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by boomer00oo View Post

That's interesting. To be honest I think anyone should be able to do whatever they want as long as it doesn't physically harm others. Then again with something like this it really should be taken into consideration. If this is what you choose, then that's your choice but it should still have something to be done against it. It isn't a bad thing that it is illegal either because it also doesn't really fall under the category of: "I have been told not to do it so I will" if that makes sense.
    Yellow font on a white background is too hard to read, sorry.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Yellow font on a white background is too hard to read, sorry.
    It's orange and it isn't even that bright!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    You can legally kill your self in certain states with assisted suicide. You have to have a terminal illness though, and event hen courts have ruled against people in some states (conservative religious nutjobs) but there is a handful that will allow it.

Over seas in Europe, not sure where (I think finland) they'll let you kill your self just over psychological issues, like a mental illness or depression... at first there was no rise in people doing this until a few years later when many people started using assisted suicide, many of whom probably shouldn't of killed them selfs.

I believe unlike Europe, we should only have terminal illness suicide. If someone knows there wont be a cure, and they're going to suffer a slow and painful death, or need to be taken care of for the rest of their life, then they have a right to end their life.

Edit: The real problem here is how the private sector deals with this... will we stop treating people for medical illnesses to capitalized off assisted suicide? Instead of giving people medical insurance, maybe we'll just assume they'll kill their selfs. So many implications involved, but ultimately it is a choice, and it's better to have government approval of safe/quick/painless assisted suicides than having some guy with untreatable cancer hang him self....
    Yeah man, your points are good.

I am based in Europe, and you're right with Finland being the only country which has that option.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    It's called being euthanized.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast