Thread: Is 400W Enough?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

Is 400W Enough?

I've been thinking about getting a new graphics card(Maybe the MSI GTX 1060), and I needed to know if i should upgrade my psu.

My current setup is:
    Intel Core i5-6600K
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
    Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Ultra Gaming ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
    Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
    EVGA 400W ATX Power Supply
    EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB FTW ACX 2.0
    Enermax ECA3290A-G ATX Mid Tower Case
    Western Digital Blue 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive

Thanks
    My Mood
    Chatty
    Input all the specs into PC part picker. It'll calculate the watts for you as well as tell you if your parts are compatible
    I barely use MPGH IM, Send me a private message to reach me faster!
    Also I currently don't sell anything!

DD/MM/YYYY
    Joined MPGH: 07/02/2017
    Premium: 08/02/2017 - ∞
    Newsforce (HOTW): 07/06/2017 - ∞
    Publicist: 06/11/2017 - 12/04/2018
    Minion (Minecraft): 23/12/2017 - ∞
    Minion (Cryptocurrency Talks): 01/05/2018 - ∞

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Allura For This Useful Post:

Wind (03-02-2017)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Breezy
    PSUs are one of those things that you don't want to cheap out on because it can fry your entire system. I would go for something higher just in case.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool
    Honestly, you're better off spending the extra bit of pocket money to make sure you're getting the right PSU.
    Like said before, cheaping out can be dangerous and not worth the risk.

Click here for my vouch thread

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    The PSU is perfectly fine. EVGA make good quality PSU's, it's only the cheap and shitty brands that sell ones that can fuck your PC up because they usually don't include any features that can prevent the issues from happening.

According to PC Part Picker, the system only draws around 300w currently, if you upgraded to a 1060 it would be drawing around the same amount of power meaning that you don't have to spend any money on a new PSU.

You're fine, just stick with it.

Also, these people saying "get higher wattage PSU's", there's no real point due to components becoming more power efficient meaning a smaller power supply is better, especially when the OP isn't running a stupidly high end system or a server.
    Don't like what I say? Here's a solution.

Suck my nuts

Contact

Steam

Activity
    Join date - July 15th 2012
    Premium - August 2nd 2016
    fuck all else currently lmao

Purchases
    Number of successful purchases on the marketplace: 7
    Times I've been scammed: 2 (both over 3 years ago)

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k @stock
    Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
    Motherboard: ASROCK Z170 Pro4
    GPU: MSI GTX 1070 ARMOR
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder Series CX700M 80PLUS Bronze
    RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Harry For This Useful Post:

BreakingSerenity (03-02-2017)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    The PSU is perfectly fine. EVGA make good quality PSU's, it's only the cheap and shitty brands that sell ones that can fuck your PC up because they usually don't include any features that can prevent the issues from happening.

According to PC Part Picker, the system only draws around 300w currently, if you upgraded to a 1060 it would be drawing around the same amount of power meaning that you don't have to spend any money on a new PSU.

You're fine, just stick with it.

Also, these people saying "get higher wattage PSU's", there's no real point due to components becoming more power efficient meaning a smaller power supply is better, especially when the OP isn't running a stupidly high end system or a server.
    ************ isn't always accurate though. I had a buddy who had a build that supposedly required ~300W but still had some issues under load with a 450W PSU. While I do agree that EVGA generally does make good products, I don't think the PSU he has is too spectacular (according to Amazon reviews). He also has a 6600k, so if he wants to overclock he's gonna want some extra leeway. Honestly PSUs you just never want to cheap out on.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Quote Originally Posted by kj1234 View Post
    ************ isn't always accurate though. I had a buddy who had a build that supposedly required ~300W but still had some issues under load with a 450W PSU. While I do agree that EVGA generally does make good products, I don't think the PSU he has is too spectacular (according to Amazon reviews). He also has a 6600k, so if he wants to overclock he's gonna want some extra leeway. Honestly PSUs you just never want to cheap out on.
    My PSU is nothing spectacular, it's ran my old i5 4670k + gtx 780 system and my new i7 6700k + gtx 1070 system. It's a Corsair CX750 that costed around £60 at the time and was pretty much the cheapest 750w PSU, which people bitch about and say that it's not made for high end systems and workloads. I bought it anyways because it doesn't really matter what it's made for, as long as it's made by a company that is reliable and good then it shouldn't really matter. A 400W PSU and a 750W PSU from the same company are more than likely exactly the same in terms of certain components, just the transformer or whatever is inside of them will be tuned towards a higher voltage.
    Also, I installed a 450W PSU into my brothers system that uses my old i5 4670k & 780 which it's recommended wattage was just around 400W and that's perfectly fine. If you're as paranoid as me and check the wattage on 50 different calculators then it will more than likely be correct and not have any issues.

OP's said that he already owns the CPU, and with a 212 evo it means that he's already overclocked or isn't planning to overclock at all. In my opinion, getting a new PSU is a waste of money unless something happens to it which needs him to buy a new one.
    If it isn't broken, don't replace it.
    Don't like what I say? Here's a solution.

Suck my nuts

Contact

Steam

Activity
    Join date - July 15th 2012
    Premium - August 2nd 2016
    fuck all else currently lmao

Purchases
    Number of successful purchases on the marketplace: 7
    Times I've been scammed: 2 (both over 3 years ago)

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k @stock
    Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
    Motherboard: ASROCK Z170 Pro4
    GPU: MSI GTX 1070 ARMOR
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder Series CX700M 80PLUS Bronze
    RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4

Thanks
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    My PSU is nothing spectacular, it's ran my old i5 4670k + gtx 780 system and my new i7 6700k + gtx 1070 system. It's a Corsair CX750 that costed around £60 at the time and was pretty much the cheapest 750w PSU, which people bitch about and say that it's not made for high end systems and workloads. I bought it anyways because it doesn't really matter what it's made for, as long as it's made by a company that is reliable and good then it shouldn't really matter. A 400W PSU and a 750W PSU from the same company are more than likely exactly the same in terms of certain components, just the transformer or whatever is inside of them will be tuned towards a higher voltage.
    Also, I installed a 450W PSU into my brothers system that uses my old i5 4670k & 780 which it's recommended wattage was just around 400W and that's perfectly fine. If you're as paranoid as me and check the wattage on 50 different calculators then it will more than likely be correct and not have any issues.

OP's said that he already owns the CPU, and with a 212 evo it means that he's already overclocked or isn't planning to overclock at all. In my opinion, getting a new PSU is a waste of money unless something happens to it which needs him to buy a new one.
    If it isn't broken, don't replace it.
    Even with reliable companies it can be a hit or miss depending on the series. This is a PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic...omment-8149083
    As you can see even there are some disparities in quality by the same company depending on the series. My point is that PSU is one of those things you want be 100% fail proof because by the time it breaks it might be too late as it might fry the rest of your system. But in the end, to each his own.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    When I first built my computer I used some cheap ass PSU and it died, but luckily it didn't take anything with it. There was some PSU buying guide out there, I think on Tom's Hardware. I've had the EVGA Supernova G2 750W since like 2015 and no problems. The 400 Watt should be fine, but you'll have no room for two way SLI if you ever go for that route.

As for your hard drive, it seems like you're getting only a HDD (that is 5400 RPM?) I wouldn't recommenced running windows on a HDD, get an SSD. If you can't afford it, get the 7200 RPM of the same model (Western Digital Blue,) it's the same price and it'll be better if you're set on running windows on a HDD.

Thanks
    expect your psu to explode or smoke

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed
    its better off spending the extra bit of pocket money to make sure you're getting the right PSU.

Thanks
    Well technically there is enough wattage for your system and you'll never be maxing it out anyway, I'd still recommend a better psu.
    Compensating for stuff such as efficiency and what not having an 80+Gold is alot better.
    I would personally recommend a superflower goldengreen 450or550W.

I have the 450W version and it's competently silent and have had no power problems, even after a few power cuts (the whole area, not just the pc)