Thanks

Tips for making a browser game bot ( travian )

Hello guys,

I'm a 3rd year software eng student and i'm thinking of working this summer on a bot project, i'm really passionate and excited about this.
    i have been playing travian for a while and i have used many bots and most of them have bugs and tons of features doesn't work, this is where i came with the idea of making a bot my self.

Im pretty comfortable with Java, C. my questions is, what do i need to know before starting the project? can i do this in java? do i need other languages ? i still don't get how these bots work i need a general idea to start visualizing the program and write the spec for it and stuff.

Thanks alot,

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dexterfreak View Post
    Hello guys,

I'm a 3rd year software eng student and i'm thinking of working this summer on a bot project, i'm really passionate and excited about this.
    i have been playing travian for a while and i have used many bots and most of them have bugs and tons of features doesn't work, this is where i came with the idea of making a bot my self.

Im pretty comfortable with Java, C. my questions is, what do i need to know before starting the project? can i do this in java? do i need other languages ? i still don't get how these bots work i need a general idea to start visualizing the program and write the spec for it and stuff.

Thanks alot,
    How does the gameplay work, is it an entirely web based game or Flash? I'd check myself but I'm on mobile right now and don't want to register.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimboso View Post
    How does the gameplay work, is it an entirely web based game or Flash? I'd check myself but I'm on mobile right now and don't want to register.
    Game is as follows:
    After choosing a tribe, u start the game based on what location u chose, the whole game is 200x200 grid.
    You start with 1 village, 4 kind of resources (Wheat/clay/iron/wood) with hourly production.
    Then you start building troops/buildings, and expand your village. You can attack nearby villages/oasis for extra resources which is the most important aspect of the game.

Bot idea:
    Basic Functions//
    Auto build troops/buildings, in a priority Queue.
    Auto send troops to pre-specified villages ( farms )
    Auto search for inactive players or under attacked ( can use a website to determine them )
    Auto trade resources from market.
    Auction bidder, price low => buy , price high => sell.

I can implement all the functions easily if i just can visualize how this thing work, how can i get the info from server and link it to my application, that i really want to do in java as i don't have time to learn a new language and suffer with the syntax, it's a summer project that i'm passionate about.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Game is as follows:
    After choosing a tribe, u start the game based on what location u chose, the whole game is 200x200 grid.
    You start with 1 village, 4 kind of resources (Wheat/clay/iron/wood) with hourly production.
    Then you start building troops/buildings, and expand your village. You can attack nearby villages/oasis for extra resources which is the most important aspect of the game.

Bot idea:
    Basic Functions//
    Auto build troops/buildings, in a priority Queue.
    Auto send troops to pre-specified villages ( farms )
    Auto search for inactive players or under attacked ( can use a website to determine them )
    Auto trade resources from market.
    Auction bidder, price low => buy , price high => sell.

I can implement all the functions easily if i just can visualize how this thing work, how can i get the info from server and link it to my application, that i really want to do in java as i don't have time to learn a new language and suffer with the syntax, it's a summer project that i'm passionate about.

Thanks!
    Browser games are luckily the easiest to automate, no hooking, no pointers, none of the hard stuff. The basic idea is you want to sniff the HTTP requests that your browser makes, and how the server responds/what data is in the response and react accordingly.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheeky
    You could use Awesomium in C++ for the visual aspect, and use javascript for most of the automation. Awesomium allows keyboard and mouse injection so you could use that to spoof stuff as well.
    Ah we-a blaze the fyah, make it bun dem!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimboso View Post
    Browser games are luckily the easiest to automate, no hooking, no pointers, none of the hard stuff. The basic idea is you want to sniff the HTTP requests that your browser makes, and how the server responds/what data is in the response and react accordingly.
    Thank you, I'm more motivated now , I'll look into http requests more

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hell_Demon View Post
    You could use Awesomium in C++ for the visual aspect, and use javascript for most of the automation. Awesomium allows keyboard and mouse injection so you could use that to spoof stuff as well.
    Thanks , do you think I should learn C++ ? I know it's O-O language and switching from Java to C++ shouldn't be a problem but is it more effective in the firled of bots and automation?

Thanks

Thanks
    Thank you, I'm more motivated now , I'll look into http requests more

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks , do you think I should learn C++ ? I know it's O-O language and switching from Java to C++ shouldn't be a problem but is it more effective in the firled of bots and automation?

Thanks
    For web automation python is an awesome language, with the requests and beautifulsoup modules you can fully parse html and send requests within the same session easily.
    Last edited by Nimboso; 03-21-2017 at 05:45 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Nimboso For This Useful Post:

Hell_Demon (03-21-2017)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheeky
    I can +1 python, and yes, pick up C++. It's a useful all around language
    Ah we-a blaze the fyah, make it bun dem!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    The OP said he doesn't want to learn a new language for this project. C++ isn't used much in the corporate space if you plan on getting a job as a software engineer.
    Software Developer, Educator, and Gamer.