Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Psychedelic

Smile SMG guide for you <3

Introduction:

I've been thinking about writing a guide for some time now, but haven't had the time nor patience. FrostFire626 more or less got me started on this by saying he'd like my input on some of the SMGs in Combat Arms. I took that a step further and have now written a full-blown strategy guide for SMGs, from the MP5 to the PP-19. This guide does NOT include NX or crate guns, since I'd rather spend my cash and GP on better things. If you want, you can gift me an SMG and I'll write about it for you ;p

With that being said, the strategy for an SMG is straightforward: Assault. You want to get as up close and personal as possible. The portability of your weapon and the speed of your character are the main parts of this strategy. This guide has been written not to tell you which gun is "teh 00b3r pwnz0r", but to help you make the desicion for yourself and how it fits into the assault mindset of an SMG user. There are some who swear by the MP5 and loathe the UMP; others complain about the recoil of the PP-19, but when it comes down to it, its what gun fits your flow and how it fits into the strategy you'll be forced to use.

Gear:

Gear is pretty straightforward. When you're rushing with an SMG (thats all you should EVER do with one), you need to be constantly mobile. That means speed. Its an SMG user's best friend (or anyone else's for that matter). Currently, you need to be MSG2 in order to get the full effect, even though the light vest (SFC1) does well on its own. At CSM3, you'll be able to get the military bandana, which takes you from rabbit speed to lightspeed, especially with high portability weapons (hmm.. Sounds like an SMG to me :P). You can also get a boonie hat from the NX store, which gives about the same bonus as a beanie, but without the rank req. Facemasks are optional, given the price, but they help.

At MSG2: (13% speed)
    Head: Beanie, Boonie Hat
    Face:Nothing, NX facemask
    Torso:Light Vest
    Backpack:Standard (Adv weighs you down)

At CSM4: (15% speed)
    Head:Military Bandana, Beanie, Boonie Hat
    Face:Nothing, NX facemask, Hammerhead mask
    Torso:Light Vest
    Backpack:Standard

Mods:

Most mods are useless, for a variety of reasons, starting with iTechs and ending with an Ex Clip II.

Scopes:
    ACOG- The health/ammo monitoring is the best choice for a scope on an SMG, because you can monitor your ammo without daring to glance down in a firefight. The slight added bonus is you can take down medium ranged snipers if you can handle recoil well. This doesnt mean you'll be picking off people in Snow Valley, but you'll have a better time picking off snipers on maps like Junk Flea and Sand Hog.
    iTech- USELESS. USELESS. USELESS. Tell it to gtfo your gun. Its HUGE glaring red reticle and poor magnification will hinder your attempts to get a kill while scoped in. And its slow sensitivity response to your movement is an even worse curse. Its more or less a death trap unless you hock over 4,900NX for the better version. The best SMG scope is on the P90, but it has no magnification.

Silencers:
    S1- NO. As FrostFire has pointed out, it only diverts the recoil from up and down to left to right. SCAR users know how much of a pain in the ass this is. Dont even bother with buying this; SMGs dont really need silencers, or at least not this one.
    S2- Meh, its better than an S1, but only buy it if you absolutely need it OR if you have a sniper rifle as your long range backup, since it pretty much removes your tracer rounds from view.
    S3- Buy it. Its most definitely worth it. Everyone seems to have a tale about this silencer, and in mine, I find the range from medium to medium-long improves dramatically with this attatched. Its like the gun gains a little accuracy or the recoil is lessened a slight bit, but what ever it is, it WORKS. A bonus is the removal of muzzle flash, which experienced players can use to find you and destroy you.

Clips:
    Extended Mag I- BUY IT. IT SAVES LIVES. Really. Since you will always have a high RoF with your SMG, the 10 extra bullets it provides, this is the way to go. Plus, with most SMGs, it doesnt really slow down reload rate (on my K1, its faster than a P90 and is only slightly slower than its original reload speed).
    Extended Mag II- Its not worth the cost NOR the extra 5 bullets, especially when the reload speed sinks to where it really DOES matter (Slower than a P90 on my K1, one of the slowest non-MG guns in the game). Reloading this is excrutiating and not worth the loss of kills, cash and speed.

Weapons:

This is the section 80% of you will skip down to (did you know that 66.78% of these statistics are made up?) and then RedFlag to me when you dont read any other bit of the guide. For the decent few of you who WILL read the guide, I hope this will better serve you than it did the others.

NOTE: The values given are NOT Nexon's; They are mine and serve only to provide you with a reference for each stat and to make the weapons featured more comparable.

Ol' Tried and True: The MP5
    Damage: 28/100
    Portability: 75/100
    Rate of Fire: 90/100
    Accuracy: 55/100
    Recoil: 60/100

Pros: Low-ish recoil, highly portable
    Cons: Low damage, rather boring gun, recoil negates accuracy a little bit
    Comments: Great if you're looking for a gun that does well against laggers, rushes well, great bunny hopping weapon, but it gets boring after a while and theres a MUCH better version of it (the RAS). Nevertheless, it gets the job done. Look up TeAnn in the player rankings to see how effective it can be.

Love Child: K1A
    Damage: 30/100
    Portability: 60/100
    Rate of Fire: 85/100
    Accuracy: 65/100

Pros: Second best damage for an SMG, good accuracy, GREAT for lotto headshots.
    Cons: HIGH RATE OF FIRE, random spread, mediocre portability
    Comments: Its a great gun, dont get me wrong, but you need to learn to fire in bursts and stay planted to the ground, because for whatever reason, the spread goes NUTS. Full auto is fine, but try to let up on the trigger after 6 or so rounds, else the spread become the Wheel of Fortune.

Lemme Upgrade You (Upgrade You): The MP7
    Damage: 25/100
    Portability: 85/100
    Rate of Fire: 92/100
    Recoil: 65/100

Pros: Rate of fire, accuracy, PORTABILITY
    Cons: Rate of fire, price
    Comments: Its a great gun and destroys anything and everything in its path, but even an Extended Clip I isnt enough to quench the MP7's thirst for rounds and since its already over the price of a P90, this is only the richest player's option, if you dont want to be saddled with the default.

Big Man on Campus: The UMP
    Damage: 45/100
    Portability: 75/100
    Rate of Fire: 80/100

Pros: Damage, portability, rate of fire, accuracy, recoil, clip size
    Cons: EVERYBODY USES IT, burst fire is needed on occasion
    Comments: Arguably the best SMG in the game, the UMP is a force to be reckoned with, what ever its put up against. While clicking your mouse is the most effective useage of the gun, it'll obliterate people anyways. I'd suggest an S3 for this, just because of the aforementioned "bonus" it provides, but it isnt nessicary.

Wild Thang: The PP-19
    Portability: 80/100
    Recoil: 75/100

Pros: Rate of fire, clip size, portability
    Cons: Recoil (For most), annyoing sound, price
    Comments: People rank it up with the UMP in terms of best SMG, but I beg to differ. Its the most stereotypical SMG in terms of the "spray and pray" motto, as its got two 65 round clips and an insane rate of fire and the damage of a K1. Kind of silly and a bit annoying. Dont get me wrong; its great. You can easily get a Fantastic with enough people around you without reloading once..

Staple Gun: The P90
    Portability: 70/100
    Accuracy: 75/100
    Recoil: 70/100

Pros: Clips size (50x2), built in scope, portability, accuracy
    Cons: Price, scope (for some people), clip size
    Comments: The P90 is the best SMG in the game, in my opinion, but only because I like it more than the UMP. Some people'll buy the TR just for the silly mods, but its a waste of GP and NX. The built-in scope is MUCH more effective than an iTech and an S3 silencer beats out the silencer provided on the TR. The recoil isnt as bad as it looks, especially if you click instead of hold down the trigger (as with all guns). Its portability is probably the most likable stat, as you can run with it almost as if you had a knife out, great for sticky situations, or retreating after hit-and-running a sniper.

Gangsta Gat: The Mac-10
    Damage: 25/100
    Portability: 90/100
    Rate of Fire: 95/100
    Accuracy: 50/100
    Recoil: 65/100

Pros: Portability, RoF, humiliating people
    Cons: SUCKS, accuracy, clip size, rate of fire, damage, IT REALLY SUCKS
    Comments: I've seen a few gifted (or insane) people with this machine pistol who manage to pull off positive k/ds over 1.8 in a game, but even then, they had a spectactular backup (G36, AK) waiting for the inevitable "click click" when the mags run dry. You have to get up close and personal no matter what with this gun, and no medium range+ combat for you either. So, unless you're on a CQB map or constantly behind an enemy, this gun isnt worth the time money or paitence to buy and use.

Corleone's Choice: The Uzi
    Damage: 20/100
    Portability: 90/100
    Accuracy: 55/100
    Recoil: 52/100

Pros: No recoil, portability, rate of fire, cost (750 GP)
    Cons: Damage
    Comments: One of the more underrated guns in the game, the Uzi is an effective rushing gun and is suprisingly accurate a medium range. Its an outstanding weapon, but guzzles rounds and it always feels like its missing something. But its definitely up there with the UMP, P90 and PP-19, provided you have the ability to use it well.

Silenced Stepbrother: The K7
    Damage: 20/100
    Portability: 85/100
    Accuracy: 51/100
    Recoil: 68/100

Pros: Built-in silencer, high rate of fire, portability
    Cons: Damage, accuracy, price, sound
    Comments: Not one of Nexon's shining moments, given that its bigger brother, the K1, has better damage that it does, even silenced and its price in relation to the gun isnt worth paying. I've run into K7 users from time to time and most pull 1.5 k/ds+, but they're also the more experienced players. Its up to you. I havent got much time in with it, so what I truly know is limited, but as I said before, I've seen it be a destructive force in different player's hands.

Advice:

Listen to your surroundings. Your most useful tools availible to you are your ears. Gunfire, footsteps, even reloads are invaluable intelligence when fighting. I've actually won a clan war with 6 hp SOLEY because the person had reloaded and I heard the noise, knew where they were, spun around the corner and killed them.
    Be constantly moving. Its pretty damn hard to find a player when they wont stop moving around the map. Avoid routine when you do this, as experienced players will find a pattern in your movements and will be waiting for you.
    Dont panic. This goes beyond the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. I guarentee that if you're in a firefight and you panic, you've lost. You must remain calm, even if you're being rushed. Single an enemy out and keep firing at them; You'll get at least one kill.
    Last edited by Weed Farmer™; 04-12-2010 at 09:44 AM.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Weed Farmer™ For This Useful Post:

0terminater0 (04-11-2010),ac1d_buRn (04-13-2010),Alby-kun (04-11-2010),Crusty- (04-11-2010),Grim (04-12-2010),Mc565 (04-11-2010),Samueldo (04-12-2010),Synchromanica (04-13-2010)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Your The Same Guy That Made The Siper One Right? Or No? -_-

Thanks
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew77 View Post
    Your The Same Guy That Made The Siper One Right? Or No? -_-
    i are not
    /too short

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    ooo
    gud job. I like it
    E.M.C.: ♫3@T M0∂Я ¢4TZ♫

Thanks
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Quote Originally Posted by Alby-kun View Post
    ooo
    gud job. I like it
    glad to hear that.

Thanks
    p90tr is much better then p90
    it has 50x3 magazine and because of its spread a scope is useless so its better then the normal p90
    ump45 has an itech scope and it feels much better then normal ump, but i think ump is not so good because of its spread and low rof
    pp-19 mod sux, dont buy it ! it still have a lot of spread although it has an silencer and an itech scope
    mp5 ras is a great weapon, but not good enough if you are on oma

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Itech scope/s1 supressor rapes you.

Umad?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by g0ube View Post
    it has 50x3 magazine and because of its spread a scope is useless so its better then the normal p90
    The P90 TR SE has 150 bullets, not the P90 TR.
    Descartes: "I think, therefore I am."

10. The Following User Says Thank You to privatebomley For This Useful Post:

Crusty- (04-11-2010)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by privatebomley View Post
    The P90 TR SE has 150 bullets, not the P90 TR.
    I was just about to quote him on the same thing. P90 needs more ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by g0ube View Post
    ump45 has an itech scope and it feels much better then normal ump, but i think ump is not so good because of its spread and low rof
    pp-19 mod sux, dont buy it ! it still have a lot of spread although it has an silencer and an itech scope
    mp5 ras is a great weapon, but not good enough if you are on oma
    mp5 ras is my favorite smg in the game. Zero recoil

Thanks
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    yeah, and what about ras centurion...
    ras centurion ftw

Thanks
    My Mood
    Shocked
    You should bold titles or colour code them.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    lol makes everything looks mixed yea shockings right colour them lmao and good job for taking ur time to help certain people

I like Flengo <3.

Mc565 isn't even good at ca men.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Shocked
    I'm always right.
    *serious theme music.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    nahh shocking im always right!

*better music and more serious then hers*