Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    179° 56′ 39.4″, +0° 2′ 46.2″, 7,940 ± 420 parsecs
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Tired

Question to Muslims.

What was the main religion in the middle east before Islam, was it Judaism? and if so, how was Judaism created and why is there such bad blood now.

I know monotheism was practiced by the Persians, and of course the Hebrews were the most renown monotheist, Grecian gods were also spread about with the conquers of Alexander The Great and then Roman Gods with the Roman empire. But what happened right before the prophet Muhammad..

Please stick to facts, and not opinions etc.
    Last edited by Liz; 04-22-2010 at 09:01 PM.

If anyone claims to be me via any other source outside of MPGH private or visitor messages, IT'S NOT ME!
    They are trying to trick or scam you. Report them immediately and PM me here for verification.
    "Don’t confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are." — Frank Ocean
    Moderator: 5/2009-10/2009 | GMod: 10/2009-10/2010 | Staff Administrator: 10/2010-Present
    I
    do not do requests via PM. Post in the appropriate section.

Stupid/Pointless Private messages = SPAM, SPAM = BAN.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool
    1.)Yah it was Judaism/Christianity and alot of other monotheistic religions.

2.)Christianity and several other monotheistic religions.

Not sure if you're asking what religions were before muhammad or what happened historically before muhammad.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Tired
    Concentrated in Arabic lands mostly, what was the main religion if any, thus far its mostly believed that paganism tribal religions where in place in both Mecca and Medina. Which where the two big pre-islam locations of both commerce and agriculture. But i mostly want to see what our Muslim members are taught etc. if at all.

If anyone claims to be me via any other source outside of MPGH private or visitor messages, IT'S NOT ME!
    They are trying to trick or scam you. Report them immediately and PM me here for verification.
    "Don’t confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are." — Frank Ocean
    Moderator: 5/2009-10/2009 | GMod: 10/2009-10/2010 | Staff Administrator: 10/2010-Present
    I

Thanks
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    RACISSSSSSSSSSSTSSSS

Jesus
    God
    Holy Spirit

POLYTHEISTIC.

BRING BACK BT, BRING BACK SAGA, BRING BACK VF, BRING BACK MPGHCRAFT, BRING BACK HABAMON

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by arunforce View Post
    RACISSSSSSSSSSSTSSSS

Jesus
    God
    Holy Spirit

POLYTHEISTIC.
    Christians believe monotheistic, so too bad

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheeky
    This should help
    Middle Eastern mythology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Wikipedia's got their shit right.

Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post

Christians believe monotheistic, so too bad

"How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."
    ~Abraham Lincoln

It doesn't matter what the Christians believe, their religion is polytheistic.
    Last edited by Paroxysm; 04-23-2010 at 12:05 AM.
    "We swallow greedily any lie that flatters us, but we sip only little by little at a truth we find bitter." ~ Denis Diderot

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Paroxysm For This Useful Post:

[MPGH]Liz (04-23-2010)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Tired
    Except that for it to be polytheistic, they would have to be separate entities, but in christian dogma, they are one and the same. I've never understood it well myself, but that's how they pitch it. lol

And also is the believe that there is one god, his son (allegedly, personally i think he was misunderstood.) and the holy spirit is God's?? lol anyway, one god. that's my point.
    Last edited by Liz; 04-23-2010 at 12:11 AM.

I

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheeky
    Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    Except that for it to be polytheistic, they would have to be separate entities, but in christian dogma, they are one and the same. I've never understood it well myself, but that's how they pitch it. lol

And also is the believe that there is one god, his son (allegedly, personally i think he was misunderstood.) and the holy spirit is God's?? lol anyway, one god. that's my point.
    The trinity would be three distinct entities that are also one entity. It's not weird, it's bullshit. Once again, the trinity-proponents can claim they only worship one God, doesn't make it so. Thats just talking about the boring generic Christians, the Catholics have a myriad of saints who act almost as mini-gods.
    "We swallow greedily any lie that flatters us, but we sip only little by little at a truth we find bitter." ~ Denis Diderot

Thanks
    My Mood
    Tired
    Saints FTW... Intercedes... that's the believe, most Italian families/towns/ have one. I think Hispanics too. That's one of the few things as a catholic I've had the most problem to let go, Saints. & God ofc. I'm in a weird place with my spirituality, something tells me there has to be more out there, and that science just doesn't have all the answers, and the other knows that people took stories way too seriously back in the day. and obvious things like the parting of the red sea, or the great flood, where probably wayyyyy exaggerated. I like the message in religion, do good by others, help mankind. So i cannot bring myself to hate it or denounce something that on its foundation its good, but has been twisted and molded to something ugly.

I

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheeky
    Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    Saints FTW... Intercedes... that's the believe, most Italian families/towns/ have one. I think Hispanics too. That's one of the few things as a catholic I've had the most problem to let go, Saints. & God ofc. I'm in a weird place with my spirituality, something tells me there has to be more out there, and that science just doesn't have all the answers, and the other knows that people took stories way too seriously back in the day. and obvious things like the parting of the red sea, or the great flood, where probably wayyyyy exaggerated. I like the message in religion, do good by others, help mankind. So i cannot bring myself to hate it or denounce something that on its foundation its good, but has been twisted and molded to something ugly.
    People often mistake me as an anti-theist, I'm not, I don't hate religion. I just see it as an archaic early system of morals that it is only slowing down human progress. Science doesn't have the answer to everything, if it did, it wouldn't be called science anymore. Science is the search for the truth, not the dogmatic assertion of it. I usually don't give "spiritual" people too much crap, I'll take a spiritual person over a fundamentalist any day. What I try to point out is that we don't need religions to act kindly towards each other, secular morality far out performs religious morality. The only issue is with a lot of people, they see religion as an easy system of morals to adopt that's generally good, but if you take the time and put in effort, you can understand the superiority of secular morality, even though it's a bit harder to mold together without some "divine authority" to dictate what is good or bad.

Religious morality is the fast food of moral systems: It's cheap, easy and filling. But if you over do it, you'll end up harming yourself.
    Last edited by Paroxysm; 04-23-2010 at 12:55 AM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Paroxysm View Post
    The trinity would be three distinct entities that are also one entity. It's not weird, it's bullshit. Once again, the trinity-proponents can claim they only worship one God, doesn't make it so. Thats just talking about the boring generic Christians, the Catholics have a myriad of saints who act almost as mini-gods.
    The trinity is really confusing, my grandfather knows Hebrew and Greek and explained to me the mistranslations and the complexity of the whole thing, wish I could remember what he said. To someone who thinks the bible is bullshit in its entirety, ofc you wouldn't believe this lulz.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Tired
    People often mistake me as an anti-theist, I'm not, I don't hate religion. I just see it as an archaic early system of morals that it is only slowing down human progress. Science doesn't have the answer to everything, if it wouldn't be called science anymore. Science is the search for the truth, not the dogmatic assertion of it. I usually don't give "spiritual" people too much crap, I'll take a spiritual person over a fundamentalist any day. What I try to point out is that we don't need religions to act kindly towards each other, secular morality far out performs religious morality. The only issue is with a lot of people, they see religion as an easy system of morals to adopt that's generally good, but if you take the time and put in effort, you can understand the superiority of secular morality, even though it's a bit harder to mold together without some "divine authority" to dictate what is good or bad.

Religious morality is the fast food of moral systems: It's cheap, easy and filling. But if you over do it, you'll end up harming yourself.
    That is perfectly true, and nicely put, I've never heard it like that before and it makes perfect sense.

In my family is a constant battle, because If you don't go to church every Friday and Sunday and light a candle then your a satanist, I haven't set foot in church since early 08, so needlessly to say I've fallen in the eyes of my elders. Despite that, I feel is a very personal journey and to each its own, I realize that without religion influencing history, the world as we know it wouldn't exist, It was a great motivational tool in ancient times. But now.. Man will do what man will do... I guess we will always need/crave some sort of superior force to keep us in line. Whether it be the laws of the universe or those of God.

I

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheeky
    Quote Originally Posted by Obama View Post
    The trinity is really confusing, my grandfather knows Hebrew and Greek and explained to me the mistranslations and the complexity of the whole thing, wish I could remember what he said. To someone who thinks the bible is bullshit in its entirety, ofc you wouldn't believe this lulz.
    I'm really getting tired of you people telling me what I think. I've never stated the bible is "bullshit in its entirety", it would be silly to say that. Regarding some historic events it's fairly accurate, regarding the supernatural aspects it's probably complete bullshit. The bible isn't just one genre of book, it's a collection of books that were added, removed and altered in the biblical canon. These books range from early history, philosophy, piss-poor mathematics (not a canonical text but the math in the bible is kind of pathetic), ad hoc justifications for conquest, and the magic. Regarding the trinity, i've gotten these explanations as well, both of my grandfathers are ministers and I've spent one or two afternoons listening to them talk about the bible. These bible sessions only increased in frequency when they learned I was an apostate.
    Last edited by Paroxysm; 04-23-2010 at 12:59 AM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool
    I'm really getting tired of you people telling me what I think. I've never stated the bible is "bullshit in its entirety", it would be silly to say that. Regarding some historic events it's fairly accurate, regarding the supernatural aspects it's probably complete bullshit. The bible isn't just one genre of book, it's a collection of books that were added, removed and altered in the biblical canon. These books range from early history, philosophy, piss-poor mathematics (not a canonical text but the math in the bible is kind of pathetic), ad hoc justifications for conquest, and the magic. Regarding the trinity, i've gotten these explanations as well, both of my grandfathers are ministers and I've spent one or two afternoons listening to them talk about the bible. These bible sessions only increased in frequency when they learned I was an apostate.
    I see what you did there

Thanks
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    well liz, in the quran ( im muslim so this is only what the quran says not me) it says that the there was the main religion there was idiol worshiping was the most heard of though.

o and for the story of before the prophet Muhammad (S) i have to take a look in the quran for that

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast