Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow

[Help]Major com problem

well i didnt know how to call this problem but its the biggest ive encountered so far.

1)i switch off my com
    2)turn it back on and i see vertical purple lines across my screen
    3)i tried to start it as per normal, but it gives me a blue screen and saying dumping physical memory. then restarts itself again
    4)the cycle goes on and on
    5) i tried reformatting, everything seemed fine after that until i restart my computer, the problem just comes back
    6)well yea, i ran my com in safe mode apparently this works enough to post a thread here.

ideas anyone?
    I see what you did there.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Give us you full system specs, please (use Speccy, it helps).

Otherwise this is most likely an issue with your gfx card or settings. Does this error occur before or after any driver installation and did you try setting your proper refresh rate manually (something like kept happening on my linux install whenever the refresh rate reset itself - I usually had 2 monitors and one was a 120Hz one and the other wasn't).

Threadstarter
    Hollywood Undead's Bitches.
    MPGH Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    Give us you full system specs, please (use Speccy, it helps).

Otherwise this is most likely an issue with your gfx card or settings. Does this error occur before or after any driver installation and did you try setting your proper refresh rate manually (something like kept happening on my linux install whenever the refresh rate reset itself - I usually had 2 monitors and one was a 120Hz one and the other wasn't).
    sorry for the late reply. i was digging infomation on my problems here and there. 1 week thread, hope that im not too late for help..

here's the com specs...

and heres hows my com will look like with Graphic drivers ENABLED.

i actually took the pics with a phone.. lol.

i search it up more on such errors, and learnt that they're like video card artifacts. cept that i hang and crash with these.

so im guessing somewhere in the memory of my motherboard fucked up.. solutions?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Actually this has probably nothing to do with your system memory (RAM) but rather with your gfx card. I still think this could be a result of a wrong refresh rate so try installing the latest stable driver (download it from Graphics Drivers & Software) and manually setting the resolution and refresh rates. Report on what happens. And I'm sorry if I can't help you any better, I never really had issues with ATI cards, I'm more of a Nvidia expert

Threadstarter
    MPGH Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Actually this has probably nothing to do with your system memory (RAM) but rather with your gfx card. I still think this could be a result of a wrong refresh rate so try installing the latest stable driver (download it from Graphics Drivers & Software) and manually setting the resolution and refresh rates. Report on what happens. And I'm sorry if I can't help you any better, I never really had issues with ATI cards, I'm more of a Nvidia expert
    i tried that site, uninstalled drivers, reformat and stuff. none of it worked.

the only thing that worked best is to disable graphic drivers. >>; which left my com in shitty resolutions.

and wad's wrong refresh rate? i didnt touch the drivers programs and all that. i was gaming, never overclock my dell com before. i got off the com and all these happened.

and dont sweat it bro. i might consider buying Nvidia card. when i do, i guess i nid help from u man.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    If you never checked the advanced settings then it's very likely that you have a wrong refresh rate or another setting or something. I don't really know where the refresh rate is found in the Catalyst drivers, but a quick google search might reveal that.

Otherwise you can set it via the windows options as well (this is for 7, but you should have something similar in Vista somewhere in the CP):

And try setting a low res / low refresh rate once you have the drivers and see if it works.

Threadstarter
    MPGH Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    If you never checked the advanced settings then it's very likely that you have a wrong refresh rate or another setting or something. I don't really know where the refresh rate is found in the Catalyst drivers, but a quick google search might reveal that.

Otherwise you can set it via the windows options as well (this is for 7, but you should have something similar in Vista somewhere in the CP):

And try setting a low res / low refresh rate once you have the drivers and see if it works.
    doubt i can change it.

also i forgot to mention a point. when i start up the com, logo of dell and all that appears with black, long, vertical dividers that kinda slices the DELL logo in a few bits. idk how to describe it, i can take a picture in the next post.

also. idk about refresh rates until now, so i dont even know how to change it, unless some silly program change it, i doubt its the problem. thanks for the idea thou.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by StopWhinin View Post
    doubt i can change it.

https://i55.tinypic.com/wrni92.jpg

also i forgot to mention a point. when i start up the com, logo of dell and all that appears with black, long, vertical dividers that kinda slices the DELL logo in a few bits. idk how to describe it, i can take a picture in the next post.

also. idk about refresh rates until now, so i dont even know how to change it, unless some silly program change it, i doubt its the problem. thanks for the idea thou.
    The "silly program" that can and does change refresh rates is your driver (which seems to be the reason your screen also goes all wierd, right?). So just try to set the refresh in the Catalyst control center (or whatever name ATI uses now).

Threadstarter
    MPGH Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    The "silly program" that can and does change refresh rates is your driver (which seems to be the reason your screen also goes all wierd, right?). So just try to set the refresh in the Catalyst control center (or whatever name ATI uses now).
    cant do. errrr more like i cant do it.

i got catalyst control center installed, but it says i nid to have my graphic drivers enabled. so i enabled it, says gotta restart. so i restarted. but it wont even get to the desktop after that. a quick blue screen appears saying dumping physical memory. i restarted in safe mode, disabled the drivers and is able to return back to the normal mode.

so in a sense, catalyst control center is more like a catalyst to screw my com. fuck ATI.

heres some screenshots about the error.

so i cant change the refresh rate. and since the problem came out even before i start my computer, by having lines that slices the DELL logo when it starts up, i dont think its the refresh rate. nor its an artifact either.

wth. i feel like im haunted or something.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    If the error disappears once Windows starts with it's generic drivers I'm still inclined to think it's a gfx card error. Did you try doing a firmware upgrade or getting older (more stable?) drivers?

Alternatively just upgrade your gfx card to something newer, it's not that costly. And you would get a dramatic performance increase.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Alen For This Useful Post:

Da Kurlzz (09-15-2010)

Threadstarter
    MPGH Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    If the error disappears once Windows starts with it's generic drivers I'm still inclined to think it's a gfx card error. Did you try doing a firmware upgrade or getting older (more stable?) drivers?

Alternatively just upgrade your gfx card to something newer, it's not that costly. And you would get a dramatic performance increase.
    yea.. i got 2 to 4 people advising me to get a new card. also i know nuts about graphics card and drivers until this problem hit me. so.. wad's a generic driver? same as graphics or other drivers? firmware upgrade is?

getting older, stable drivers would help? o.O cause i'll be doing all i can before i get a new card. (it'll burn my wallet, plus, i'll nid to take in all the factors that it'll fit to my com and work )

getting a new card would be a bitch.. cause my com is a slim case. i did some prior research on my com's model, and i could get so-so cards, and my com runs on 300W? idk or is it i nid to get cards that are lower than that?

That's for ur help so far bro. i really appreciate it.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    yea.. i got 2 to 4 people advising me to get a new card. also i know nuts about graphics card and drivers until this problem hit me. so.. wad's a generic driver? same as graphics or other drivers? firmware upgrade is?
    The generic driver is Window's driver (it's used when you don't install a specific driver from ATI). Firmware is something like the graphic's cards bios or system, usually you don't touch this unless it's recommended (you can go check if there are any official updates).

getting older, stable drivers would help? o.O cause i'll be doing all i can before i get a new card. (it'll burn my wallet, plus, i'll nid to take in all the factors that it'll fit to my com and work )
    Sometimes newer drivers have bugs the old ones didn't and usually the newer drivers aren't optimized for the older cards. So try to use the driver you used last time or just try random old drivers (this isn't always good - even though they don't have the new "bugs" they have older ones, but in your case it might work).

That's for ur help so far bro. i really appreciate it.
    No problem, sorry for the long delay between replies, I was in school

As far as gfx cards go - you have a PCIe x16 slot? If you do just get a low-end gfx card or upgrade your whole PC a bit and get a mid-end card.

Examples of cheap low-end cards would be something like the ATI 5550 (around $65 or something) or maybe even the ATI 5670.

Example 5550 - XFX HD555XZNF2 Radeon HD 5550 Video Card - 1024MB GDDR2, PCI-Express 2.0, DVI, VGA, HDMI at TigerDirec*****m
    Example 5670 - HIS H567Q512 Radeon HD 5670 Video Card - 512MB DDR5, PCI-Express 2.0, CrossFireX, DVI, VGA, HDMI at TigerDirec*****m

You probably wouldn't need a PSU upgrade for either, the max the 5670 can do is around 80W without overclocking, the 5550 draws only 50W or something. Personally I would try to get the 5670, it's pretty decent for that price.

If you want better suggestions try to give complete PC specs.

Threadstarter
    MPGH Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    The generic driver is Window's driver (it's used when you don't install a specific driver from ATI). Firmware is something like the graphic's cards bios or system, usually you don't touch this unless it's recommended (you can go check if there are any official updates).
    soo the driver i disabled in the device manager is the generic driver while the catalyst control is the specific driver from ATI.

Sometimes newer drivers have bugs the old ones didn't and usually the newer drivers aren't optimized for the older cards. So try to use the driver you used last time or just try random old drivers (this isn't always good - even though they don't have the new "bugs" they have older ones, but in your case it might work).
    since the problem persisted after i reformat the com,(i kinda freaked out when my screen give me shit and wouldnt go to desktop. ) and i dont got any specific ATI driver installed and the prob's still there, doubt its the catalyst control's fault. (though it makes things worst.)

As far as gfx cards go - you have a PCIe x16 slot? If you do just get a low-end gfx card or upgrade your whole PC a bit and get a mid-end card.

Examples of cheap low-end cards would be something like the ATI 5550 (around $65 or something) or maybe even the ATI 5670.

Example 5550 - XFX HD555XZNF2 Radeon HD 5550 Video Card - 1024MB GDDR2, PCI-Express 2.0, DVI, VGA, HDMI at TigerDirec*****m
    Example 5670 - HIS H567Q512 Radeon HD 5670 Video Card - 512MB DDR5, PCI-Express 2.0, CrossFireX, DVI, VGA, HDMI at TigerDirec*****m

You probably wouldn't need a PSU upgrade for either, the max the 5670 can do is around 80W without overclocking, the 5550 draws only 50W or something. Personally I would try to get the 5670, it's pretty decent for that price.

If you want better suggestions try to give complete PC specs.
    Thanks for the suggestions, i'll be taking in them.

i got a 2 PCI connector slots, 1 PCIe x16 slot and a PCIe x1 slot. wad's the difference between them and wad goes to the slots?

full PC specs are from the dxdiag? how do i send it then? C+P here would take up much space to be considered as spam.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    PCIe x16 - 16 lanes, PCIe x1 - 1 lane. Think of it as a road, the x16 is wider and can transfer more data at a time (usually for gfx cards). The x1 is mostly used for cards that don't need so much data transfer.

For the specs just open Speccy and then File > Publish online (or something like that). Then just give is the url. It should give us a pretty good idea what kind of PC you have.

At this point I would recommend you get your gfx tested by someone else cause I don't really see the point in going through a million different settings and options to see if it's a software problem.

Threadstarter
    MPGH Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    https://speccy.piriform.com/results/8...qCKvsymWkKMj4f

there. oh yea, i think my GC is integrated to the mofoboard(cause it fails) but im not sure and idk where to see it from speccy either.

so yea. i tried setting the com back to factory's defaults and didnt work(only thing that changes is that it gave me a floppy disk driver, which i did not have the hardware on my com. =-=) i could say im pretty much done with the non hardware solutions.

my question now is when i get a new GC, would this com use the generic driver and run it and would be compatible? if so, then would there be a need to download the driver from the company's site?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast