Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty

Fed up with Intellisense

Now don't get me wrong. I love Intellisense. It helps me code a lot faster when I dont have to remember in my head every method from every damn class. My problem is that in the middle of coding a project, Intellisense will fail on me and so the rest of the project takes a lot longer.

Is there a way to reset it or something?

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This is, I repeat, the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Quote Originally Posted by why06 View Post
    Now don't get me wrong. I love Intellisense. It helps me code a lot faster when I dont have to remember in my head every method from every damn class. My problem is that in the middle of coding a project, Intellisense will fail on me and so the rest of the project takes a lot longer.

Is there a way to reset it or something?
    Happens to me all the time, I just deal with it. |:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Dead
    When Visual Crapdio fails ; It just fails.

You can delete your project's Intellisense Database to reset it ( Think the type is ".idb" ), Then enjoy, I guess, If there is something to enjoy there.
    Love You All~

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Melodia For This Useful Post:

why06 (09-06-2010)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine

So I had a poke about in Tools|Option and found that on the Text Editor|All Languages that the three checkboxes for Statement Completion where showing neither empty or checked but a fully coloured box - which usually means an unknown settings. So a set these all to checked (a tick) and my Intellisense started working.
    Credits: Richard Fennell

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JayFabulous For This Useful Post:

why06 (09-06-2010)

Thanks
    My Mood
    In Love
    And what is this intellesense?

Like it shows class methods when you put the . after the object?

未来が見えなくて怖いから
    未来が見えてしまって悲しいから
    目を閉じて優しい思い出に浸ってしまう

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti View Post
    And what is this intellesense?

Like it shows class methods when you put the . after the object?
    Yeah. Pretty much all the features that any competent auto completion tool offers. Class->Object, data type completion, Brace deceleration (helpful with classes when you forget ';'), etc

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Quote Originally Posted by JayFabulous View Post
    Credits: Richard Fennell
    This got my hopes up, the boxes are already all ticked and intellisense still sometimes doesn't drop down the list of members in my structures/classes. ):

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by Void View Post
    This got my hopes up, the boxes are already all ticked and intellisense still sometimes doesn't drop down the list of members in my structures/classes. ):
    Did you have ReSharper or another third-party Intellisense provider installed in VS2008? If so, when VS2010 imports your VS2008 settings, you will not get Intellisense if you haven't installed the same Intellisense provider in VS2010.

To fix this, go to Tools -> Import and Export settings -> Reset all settings in VS2010
    (Do this after you back up your current settings)
    Credits: akidan with Microsoft Connect Support

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty
    Thanks for the advice all. I'll try some of the suggestions. =D

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This is, I repeat, the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Thanks
    My Mood
    In Love
    To avoid this problem:

Notepad

未来が見えなくて怖いから
    未来が見えてしまって悲しいから
    目を閉じて優しい思い出に浸ってしまう

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    For Visual Studio 2008/2010, the intellisense database is stored next to your solution file.
    To hard-reset it, close your solution, delete MyProject.ncb (for '08) or MyProject.sdf (for '10)
    Open MyProject.sln and let the database build up over time.
    I've only noticed quirks with intellisense when you have multiple projects using the same files with condition (#ifdef) compiling.
    Languages: C, C++, x86 ASM, PHP, Lua

14. The Following User Says Thank You to -Raz0r- For This Useful Post:

why06 (09-06-2010)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty
    Hey so I figured it out. My Intellisense sometimes goes out when I haven't finished coding a method with brackets before I save and quit. All I do is finish the method then recompile and it will start working again. I'll just have to remember to finish what Im doing before I quit from now on.

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by why06 View Post
    Hey so I figured it out. My Intellisense sometimes goes out when I haven't finished coding a method with brackets before I save and quit. All I do is finish the method then recompile and it will start working again. I'll just have to remember to finish what Im doing before I quit from now on.
    Have you already submitted it to the buglist? Seems like an unlikely yet fully plausible bug.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty
    Quote Originally Posted by JayFabulous View Post
    Have you already submitted it to the buglist? Seems like an unlikely yet fully plausible bug.
    I don't report bugs. Not my problem....

Well actly it was my problem...

But I fixed it.

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Thanks
    get the plugin visual assist x for visual studio. it improves the intellisense ALOT and they never fail.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Gordon` For This Useful Post:

why06 (09-07-2010)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast