Hybrid View

Thanks

Brainstorming Ideas for connecting to servers via IP

So, I've been thinking of a few possible ways to solve the issue that everybody is facing. Unfortunately I have failed consistently on producing anything useful so I figured I could get some outside ideas.

Idea #1

Modifying saved favorites to reflect the server you actually want to join.

I have searched high and low for cached settings but I have found nothing so I'm guessing favorites are stored on the BO servers and only retrieved when you connect. This lead me to..

Idea #2

Man in the middle attacks.. sort of..

If the server that pushes out the packets with all of the servers could be emulated we could generate a custom list of servers that would show up in the server list. These could in turn be added to your favorites.

Idea #3

Find the location in memory where the list is held for recent servers and modify them to show up as the ones you define. This idea is probably the easiest to achieve. However, the part that I think is going to make it difficult is dependent on how the client refreshes that list. If you modify in memory, and an auto refresh happens, it's just going to wipe out everything you have done. The other issue is getting the display to update so you can join the server you want. Among various other things..

The question I do have is this.. I haven't done much in the exploiting scene with MP games. The one program I created for MW2 got me banned while I was still working on it. So the question is this..

Does anybody know if VAC will ban for modifying memory values and attaching to processes ect while in the server list screen? I would think that VAC isn't actually running until you are in game so it should be a relatively safe area to play around with, but like I'd like to get some outside opinions on that matter.

Thanks
    Does anybody know if VAC will ban for modifying memory values and attaching to processes ect while in the server list screen? I would think that VAC isn't actually running until you are in game so it should be a relatively safe area to play around with, but like I'd like to get some outside opinions on that matter.
    As long as you don't play around with STEAM, you should be in the safe zone as you said (not 100% though)

Ex Middleman

Thanks
    My Mood
    Daring
    Quote Originally Posted by Insane View Post

As long as you don't play around with STEAM, you should be in the safe zone as you said (not 100% though)
    What do you mean by, "play around"?

Thanks
    hack things, or maybe modify something your not meant to touch,
    /

Thanks
    if you just emulate the packets from the servers, then everything is fine... but as soon as you get into memory editing, you are out of your safe zone...

i guess this is what the alteriwnet team will do next?

Threadstarter
    Thanks
    I haven't looked into the packets, but 9/10 to modify the packet stream you have to inject your packets into the game itself and let it handle the encryption process that the packets go through. However, I know that they are using the Steam API for server listing ect, but I'm guessing they are using it on their own servers instead of steams. So.. it might be easier than some other games. Either way you're dealing with the game in memory.