Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheeky
    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post

Free will is completely different than what machines are now.

If i want to snap, i snap. Unless you specifically ask for a snap, the machine will not do it.

Machine's nowadays are as sentient as a wedge.
    ---------------------------------

On topic, that essay is shit. The flow is pretty slow, along with the originality.
    Your reactions are due to input, no one acts without a reason doesn't need to be a good reason, the reason could be to try to convince yourself that you have freewill but that is a reason, no one thinks about something w/o something provoking that thought. Your brain is an i/o system only separated from a computer by levels of abstraction.
    "We swallow greedily any lie that flatters us, but we sip only little by little at a truth we find bitter." ~ Denis Diderot

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffy View Post
    You're talking about something different entirely.
    Paroxysm was making a point in regards to the fact that we have all been programmed and reprogrammed since conception to determine how to react to input data, just as a computer is programmed to do.
    How is that any different from a machine/computer?
    I know, but our "programming" cannot be compared to the program in a programming language. It's like comparing a ball to an atom and saying they're basically the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Paroxysm View Post
    Your reactions are due to input, no one acts without a reason doesn't need to be a good reason, the reason could be to try to convince yourself that you have freewill but that is a reason, no one thinks about something w/o something provoking that thought. Your brain is an i/o system only separated from a computer by levels of abstraction.
    And it's that abstraction / consciousness of being that cannot be emulated or created with today's technology. We would need a far more complex machine with an infinitely more flexible program base to achieve that (it would have to be made in a way that it could develop itself and it's actions).
    Last edited by Alen; 01-23-2011 at 05:24 AM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheeky
    Quote Originally Posted by Coeus View Post
    I know, but our "programming" cannot be compared to the program in a programming language. It's like comparing a ball to an atom and saying they're basically the same thing.

And it's that abstraction / consciousness of being that cannot be emulated or created with today's technology. We would need a far more complex machine with an infinitely more flexible program base to achieve that (it would have to be made in a way that it could develop itself and it's actions).
    No doubt it can't emulated today i never argued it could, however i fear you are giving human beings too much credit, we are not infinitely complex beings and it is a great act of hubris to suggest nothing could match or surpass us. AI tech that we are talking about is far in the future but never the less coming.
    "We swallow greedily any lie that flatters us, but we sip only little by little at a truth we find bitter." ~ Denis Diderot

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by Paroxysm View Post
    No doubt it can't emulated today i never argued it could, however i fear you are giving human beings too much credit, we are not infinitely complex beings and it is a great act of hubris to suggest nothing could match or surpass us. AI tech that we are talking about is far in the future but never the less coming.
    I'm not saying we're infinitely complex, but I'm saying we would really have to build something big to even match our current brain power. And no doubt that AI is coming, we already have tons of VIs nowadays that could, given time, be considered quite "intelligent"

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheeky
    **DELETED**

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coeus View Post
    Again, you're arguing complexity. I'm simply arguing that we all react to stimuli just like a machine. As Paroxysm stated, we're i/o systems just like any computer if you really get down to basics.

Gifts
    Czar [x][x]
    Liz [x][x]

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffy View Post
    Again, you're arguing complexity. I'm simply arguing that we all react to stimuli just like a machine. As Paroxysm stated, we're i/o systems just like any computer if you really get down to basics.
    > basics
    > C#

Not the same thing, which was my point.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12