Thanks
    My Mood
    Lonely

Gamers’ Voice vs Michael Pachter

Source PCGAMER:
    THIS GUY MAKES ME SOOO ANGRYY

On Monday we reported that UK gaming pressure group Gamers’ Voice were going to report Activision to the Office of Fair Trading, due to the PlayStation 3 and PC versions of Call of Duty: Black Ops being released in such a buggy state that it was almost unplayable. Since then, industry analyst Michael Pachter has labelled the group “crybabies“. Such a move has caused a war of words between the group and Pachter. Read on for the full ‘Pach-Attack’ story.

Following the announcement that Gamers’ Voice would take action, Pacheter told IncGamers that “They sound like a crybaby to me,” going on to comment that “It’s the role of game reviewers to lower scores if they see bugs, and the role of the gaming press to report on buggy games. Consumers have many ways of discovering how good a game is before they buy, and publishers usually act quickly to patch bugs. I own the 360 version, and it wasn’t particularly buggy, but I suppose I am more tolerant than most MPs.” He also said that “In my view, this is a blatant stunt by a politician to grab attention.”

Pachter’s comments have been accused of being arrogant and under-researched, with his reference to the 360 version being irrelevant (the issue is with the PC and PS3 versions of the game) and his opinion that it was a politician PR stunt. Gamers’ Voice – whilst founded by MP Tom Watson – is not actually run by him, a fact the group were keen to point out in their statement yesterday: “We are an independent group of gamers from all walks of life who decide our own policy. We are not influenced by politicians; we represent gamers who have a variety of concerns. We are reacting to Activision because we’ve had many, many emails about the game crippling issues from British (and international) gamers who are unhappy with the buggy product and poor service Activision have provided to PC and PS3 gamers.” They go on to combat Pachter’s points, saying that “Fundamental elements of the game do not function at all and it is this reason we have reported Activision to the Office of Fair Trading”.

Today, Pachter has bitten back with a lengthy ‘researched’ response to Gamers’ Voice, in which he still insists that the group are “crybabies”. “Now that I have had the opportunity to take their comments into consideration, I think that I may have insulted all crybabies by using that word to describe Gamers’ Voice. They seem genuinely unaware about standards for product performance in the UK and elsewhere; products must perform adequately, not flawlessly, unless there are safety or health concerns.” He goes on to say that: “Gamers’ Voice appears incredibly naïve in their approach, thinking that they can intimidate the world’s largest publisher into delaying the likely best selling game in company history so that they can ensure a bug-free experience.”

You can read Michael Pachter’s full response over at CVG.com

Many of you invested in the PC version of Black Ops and experienced some of the game-breaking bugs first hand, whilst others read about the issues in our review. What do you think of the views presented in this battle of words and ethics? Should Activision be apprehended for releasing Black Ops in the condition it was, or should gamers expect an imperfect product on release day? Let us know in the comments.
    Last edited by Bandicoot; 01-28-2011 at 12:50 AM. Reason: 1 line
    Dicks, That is all.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Daring
    He hates PC gaming...

Thanks
    meh...ask anyone from any game developer they dont give a rats ass.

Thanks
    As a dedicated PC gamer from the early Quake days (My first FPS was Q3A, followed by CoD, then ET, and finally CoD2) this is pure blasphemy. He is using the trolltastic 'u mad' comments to cover up the fact that Activision is blatantly robbing people of money for games, and are acting proud of it. Its robbery in all manners, and something needs to be done.

They release a game that doesnt work for at least a third of the population that bought it, and turn around and say "Well it works on the 360 so everyone else must be happy too" Its pure ignorance is what it is.

“It’s the role of game reviewers to lower scores if they see bugs, and the role of the gaming press to report on buggy games" Pure fucking idiocy. 90% of major game reviewers get paid to give games high ratings, and blatantly ignoring game breaking flaws, such as under optimization, terrible support, buggy performance, and some people not even able to play the damn thing in the first place, on systems more than capable of doing so. I remember seeing in some actual review videos people having the notorious stuttering, yet it went ominously unmentioned.

Consumers have many ways of discovering how good a game is before they buy, and publishers usually act quickly to patch bugs" We have no way of knowing that your shit game was not going to work for anything the day it comes out, short of getting it before release date. (Which Activision got really pissed about so apparently we are supposed to do fuck all when it comes to that) And also, considering Micro$hit has Activisions balls with their wallets, 360 versions are the only ones that get any attention, which is why they work.

"They seem genuinely unaware about standards for product performance in the UK and elsewhere; products must perform adequately, not flawlessly" Of course nobody excepts a flawless experience, just one that actually works. Gamers should not have to do hours of research and testing, fixing the dev's game themselves, just to play the game. Because when other games have come out in the past, such as iirc Fallout 3, with a lot of issues, common user fixes are usually enough until the devs release a proper one, usually accompanied by a form of an apology. Or at the very least showing that they give a fuck and actually patching and listening to complaints. Apparently at activision, their policy on people not being able to play the game at all, is to say "HAHA fuck you you whiny crybabies, it works ok (did anyone catch that? He said that the game "wasn’t particularly buggy" The greedy bastard knows its broke,yet he doesnt care) on the 360, and we already have your money anyways. hahahahah"

"largest publisher into delaying the likely best selling game in company history so that they can ensure a bug-free experience." Pure. Fucking. Ignorance. Using the excuse of "We are a big company fuck you" is a terrible way to get the people's support. In this very statement you can see that these guys dont give a shit about video games, or customers, or satisfaction, but merely warping customers, and extorting them for cash.

Now I can always agree that people can take things out of proportion, but this is just obscene. Activision has been notorious for trying to wring people dry, apparently just because they are a 'big company' and now that people are calling them out on it, they are calling us crybabies. For fucks sake.

It takes a lot to get me worked up, especially on the internet, but this manages to hit my buttons. I have long been a gamer, and seen many games in my time. From the early ass Quake days, through UT99, to Wolfenstein ET, to CoD, then CoD2, and on up to CoD4, to QL, and many many other games. I have played more games than I can even begin to think about counting. To see the direction games, specifically FPS games are taking, makes me want to go back in time, when developers listened to their customers, and cared about the games, not necessarily the money. I mean, look at idTech. They made possibly the godfather of ALL FPS games, and yet they dont let it go to their head. They listen to their community, and make games based on what people want, not the money in their pocket. To the extent that they made this godfather of FPS games free to play, and still support it. Another example would be Strategy First. They released Prince of Qin in 2002, and to this day are still releasing patches and supporting the game, regardless of its less than 500 player base.

Gaming these days, and the gamers themselves need to take a serious look at themselves if they ever want a good product, from a company that knows what they are doing. I have no bias against any console, (but a preference for PC) but if they (microsoft) are simply going to buy the fun out of playing them, then I think a boycott is in order, and we as gamers need to show these assholes whos really in charge. They might have money, but they wont have shit for all if we stop buying their half completed shit piles. Minecraft = more than half as expensive, and has a million times more entertainment value mister 'Big company' so if you think we are going to just sit back and take it up the ass, then I have a good stockpile of "hahaha fuck yous" too.

And sorry if this is a long read, like I said, I dont get worked up hardly ever, but this really hits my buttons. Also, wtf is up with Micheal Jackson all over the related threads.
    Texture Mods

Obedear, the sky is low

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heartview For This Useful Post:

Bandicoot (01-28-2011),[MPGH]master131 (01-28-2011),Skyline. (01-28-2011)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lonely
    MAN I agree with Derp 100000000% Its just a case of fucking ignorance and self promotion. Totaly biased over the 360 people while neglecting that the whole fucking issue is with the ps3 and pc gaming. fuck what a bastard.
    Dicks, That is all.