Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

Question Error 108 on Ubuntu 10.10

My computer recently defunked (boot sector and partition tables) so I started fresh and installed Ubuntu 10.10, and Wine to go with it. So I installed Combat Arms with relative ease, but when I start the game using the direct method, it lets me load up until the hack shield, then I get an error:

An error has occurred with the hack prevention function. (Error Code = 108)
    the program is shutting down.
    I'm kind of a newb when it comes to linux, not being my preferred system, but kinda stuck with it for now, so if anyone could help, it'd be much appreciated.
    "We'll see," said the blind man to the deaf man.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Doubtful
    Don't think you can play CA on uBuntu.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Well, I'm aware that it's not designed for Ubuntu, but I thought Wine could handle it -.-

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Wine is, as it name says: Wine Is Not an Emulator. It can't emulate Windows and hence the anti-cheat (in CA's case HackShield) can't run properly. Your best bet would be to either try a VM (though chances are it won't work with the default configuration) or just dual boot with Windows.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Ah, that sounds like an idea. If I had Windows. Might have to work on that. I don't even think it would be legit to obtain a virtualized Windows machine for me. Without Windows 7 Pro. So I dunno. Guess I'll see how it goes.

(Mods, feel free to delete the thread if ya want. Probably not going to be much help for this.)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Torrents are the way to go, you pretty much can't tell the difference between a legal copy and cracked copy of Windows 7. Though as said, I don't really know how well, if at all, a VM would work.

I would really recommend just dual booting a Windows and Ubuntu installation.

Thanks
    @supercarz1991

This guy^^

He plays CA with ubuntu, he may be able to help you.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AVGN For This Useful Post:

luficer (02-19-2011)

Thanks
    My Mood
    In Love
    I never thought CA runs on ubuntu o.o

I never thought you can play CA on Ubuntu o.o
    No I do not make game hacks anymore, please stop asking.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Well (@Coeus), I don't like downloading via torrents. I would settle for Windows XP CD, I have a key to activate it as well, so it doesn't need to be cracked. The issue is that I don't trust my IP address being on a public tracker because my ISP has already emailed me about several copyright infringements in which they've gotten complaints from the respective companies (smaller file size of the Windows XP ISO would also get my IP off the pub trackers faster). I'm not too overly-confident in the capabilities of IP blockers, but if there's a good one for Ubuntu, I'd use it and maybe feel a bit better. I'd rather not run anything in a VM. I have too many issues with shared vRAM and such so it runs all shitty-like.

And (@Subliminal), thanks, I think I'll send him a message if he doesn't look too much like the bite-your-head-off kind of fellow that I've seen abundant in several forums when newbs like me ask questions. lmao.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by luficer View Post
    Well (@Coeus), I don't like downloading via torrents. I would settle for Windows XP CD, I have a key to activate it as well, so it doesn't need to be cracked. The issue is that I don't trust my IP address being on a public tracker because my ISP has already emailed me about several copyright infringements in which they've gotten complaints from the respective companies (smaller file size of the Windows XP ISO would also get my IP off the pub trackers faster). I'm not too overly-confident in the capabilities of IP blockers, but if there's a good one for Ubuntu, I'd use it and maybe feel a bit better. I'd rather not run anything in a VM. I have too many issues with shared vRAM and such so it runs all shitty-like.
    Well I personally prefer using uTorrent in Wine when I'm on my Linux OSes, but I know that Transmission has the ability to block certain peers based on lists (https://trac.transmissionb*****m/wiki/Blocklists). Lately I haven't been using any lists so I don't know what's the best but I believe somthing like I-BlockList might be what you need.

Alternatively you could download Windows 7 Enterprise (it's the same thing as Ultimate but for corporations / schools etc.) directly from TechNet and then get a friend to download the crack which is only a few megs in size: TechNet link | Windows 7 loaders galore

Thanks
    My Mood
    Hot
    Microsoft jusk fucked my life, when I use another OS different of Windows, I stuck myself, I dont even know how to open a window...
    Ubuntu is such a great OS, i like it even more than MAC.

Ima do some research, If i find something I let you know.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Thanks, I'll look into it. I was hoping for XP just have a legitimate installation, but if nothing else, Win7 may work.

Ubuntu is nice. I like that it's user-friendly at least. For a short while I was also inclined to using Linux Mint (KDE), but a little work with Ubuntu and stuff seems to be working out well. Aside from Combat Arms of course.

Thanks
    All that can be said has been said.

I would try Dual booting with an older windows version that doesn't take up to much space or system resources. (XP)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Disturbed For This Useful Post:

luficer (02-19-2011)