Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty

Do you think it would be possible.

...For me to find a job coding?

My resume' is crap, I've only worked at a supermarket and a fast food place. I have only officially taken Java classes in high school. My GPA is a piece, but I'm at my whit's end, idk what I can do if not code for a living. I taught myself C++, and am trying to learn C#, but what kind of a employer would employ a hack, like me? idk, what to do...

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This is, I repeat, the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by why06 View Post
    ...For me to find a job coding?

My resume' is crap, I've only worked at a supermarket and a fast food place. I have only officially taken Java classes in high school. My GPA is a piece, but I'm at my whit's end, idk what I can do if not code for a living. I taught myself C++, and am trying to learn C#, but what kind of a employer would employ a hack, like me? idk, what to do...
    What do i have to do with this

But my answer is no for a Awesome coding Job, But I know you took robotics and it would be possible for you to get a Job working with the robots on assembly Lines at Vehicle manufacturing Places and such and they will pay for your extra training if hired....

Employers are looking for Certification these days...If i where you i would go to a technical school if your not into that 4 year college university experience

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheeky
    SoFtWaR SeCurITy TeStUr!!1
    Ah we-a blaze the fyah, make it bun dem!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty
    Quote Originally Posted by whit View Post
    What do i have to do with this
    Lol. I figured you might come in and say something when I wrote that.

I'm not looking for an epic job, I just want something where I can be a coding monkey, come in and code everyday, and gradually get a little better. While working on some side projects off the clock.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This is, I repeat, the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Thanks

Lol. I figured you might come in and say something when I wrote that.

I'm not looking for an epic job, I just want something where I can be a coding monkey, come in and code everyday, and gradually get a little better. While working on some side projects off the clock.
    School:
    Auburn University

goto School;

See what i did thar ?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty
    One day I just hope to able to code like you whit.

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

7. The Following User Says Thank You to why06 For This Useful Post:

whit (04-01-2011)

Thanks
    One day I just hope to able to code like you whit.
    Yup that goto was pro as hell
    When i get done with my 4 Years ill send you post card of the high life

Thanks
    My Mood
    Busy
    I guess you can, but i would advice you to start as a trainee on a very low salary, 3 months later, ask for something. Just pretty much what i did.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 'Bruno For This Useful Post:

why06 (04-01-2011)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Move over here and i'd hire you & keep you busy
    even without moving I may have some projects for you i'd willing to send you some $$ for (too busy for my own good )

There's always internships etc to get a foot in the door.. Lots of places around here barely care about the mythical 'piece of paper' if you have a portfolio to show and can talk about it with clarity and passion and have the skills to match

Bottom line is you HAVE to do the work to be noticed - whether that be on your own, or for someone, you gotta build up your list of projects you've worked on. And they of course have to be somewhat relevant to where you want to take yourself.. Writing hacks/injectors etc is only 1 bag of tricks (one that most employers care nothing about), so you'll have to develop a broad base of skills to build upon.

btw - shoot me your resume and we'll chat about sprucing it up a bit
    Last edited by B1ackAnge1; 04-01-2011 at 06:12 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to B1ackAnge1 For This Useful Post:

why06 (04-01-2011)

Thanks
    @B1ackAnge1 & @Brinuz where do yall work ?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Busy
    Quote Originally Posted by whit View Post
    @B1ackAnge1 & @Brinuz where do yall work ?
    Quidgest - Software Engineering

One year by now. As Programmer Analyst.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 'Bruno For This Useful Post:

whit (04-01-2011)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sad
    freelance - you make quite good money.

or go to ANY company, and see if there's a position free. EVERY place needs and IT manager for the ICT networks. Plus, half the time you're free and you do whatever you want when you're not handling staff's problems that can be solved by rebooting the computer (code, read, sleep etc..).

Sources: My school's ICT manager, Telstra's ICT manager and my local uni's ICT manager.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to freedompeace For This Useful Post:

why06 (04-01-2011)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty
    Quote Originally Posted by B1ackAnge1 View Post
    Move over here and i'd hire you & keep you busy
    even without moving I may have some projects for you i'd willing to send you some $$ for (too busy for my own good )

There's always internships etc to get a foot in the door.. Lots of places around here barely care about the mythical 'piece of paper' if you have a portfolio to show and can talk about it with clarity and passion and have the skills to match

Bottom line is you HAVE to do the work to be noticed - whether that be on your own, or for someone, you gotta build up your list of projects you've worked on. And they of course have to be somewhat relevant to where you want to take yourself.. Writing hacks/injectors etc is only 1 bag of tricks (one that most employers care nothing about), so you'll have to develop a broad base of skills to build upon.

btw - shoot me your resume and we'll chat about sprucing it up a bit
    Correction, I should have said my resume, is none existent. I've never needed one, working minimum wage, the only requirement I ever had is that you be able to lift 50 pounds.

I really appreciate the thought BA, but you and I both know I'm a crappy coder, but I'd love to work on anything ur willing to send me free of charge, just to get some idea of what real work is like.

And yeh I doubt I will even put that particular skill even on the lists, haha . I would be willing to code anything. automatic flushing toilet programming, idc. As long as it's something where I can learn. Starting tommorrow I will have worked at this job 6 months, which is the longest I've ever worked at a place part time. I've thought about going fulltime, but for what really? I hardly learn anything new, and its really not a bad job, if the pay was good, I could work there longer, but I can't see myself working fulltime in something with no future, where I can't even try to be creative.

EDIT: I'm very sorry, plz disregard what I wrote previously.
    Last edited by why06; 04-01-2011 at 09:30 PM.

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sad

Correction, I should have said my resume, is none existent. I've never needed one, working minimum wage, the only requirement I ever had is that you be able to lift 50 pounds.

I really appreciate the thought BA, but you and I both know I'm a crappy coder, but I'd love to work on anything ur willing to send me free of charge, just to get some idea of what real work is like.

And yeh I doubt I will even put that particular skill even on the lists, haha . I would be willing to code anything. automatic flushing toilet programming, idc. As long as it's something where I can learn. Starting tommorrow I will have worked at this job 6 months, which is the longest I've ever worked at a place part time. I've thought about going fulltime, but for what really? I hardly learn anything new, and its really not a bad job, if the pay was good, I could work there longer, but I can't see myself working fulltime in something with no future, where I can't even try to be creative.

Idk, what hit me, it seems like every opportunity I get. I throw away. My parents payed for me to go to private school, and I did terrible. Just well enough to get in a just OK university. And even here, I feel like its all pointless, why am I spending four years learning about History, and English, and all these other pointless things. I like math and see the benefit of it, but I have a whole other philosophy about that... and idk, I turned 20 recently and it's just hit me that I hate all of this. I hate not being a model student, I hate not being as smart as everyone thinks I am, I hate not being a good role model to my little brother and sister, and I hate relying on my parents to fund an education I don't care about where my siblings would make much better use of it.

But I can't feel sorry for myself, when I'm a burden on so many others. I just know school's not for me, and I can't take my parent's money anymore if it means I have to try to do well at school, I just can't deal with disappointing them anymore. I'll have to try to make my way as a programmer, it would be nice to support myself for once. I can see myself doing that for 5-10 years, but there's no way I can stay in school for another year. They're gonna want me to move back home, and go to a community college once I fail, out of school here, I can't do that. Idk what I'm going to do, but I can't go home and I can't stay here.

Was thinking about not posting this, but fuck it. What does it matter. 2 more months, and everyone's going to know anyway, what does it matter? It's too late now. My grades are shot this semester. I saved every penny I could muster for 6 months to buy a new laptop, powerful enough that I could take with me and still code on. god I even used the money that was supposed to go toward my books. Fuck, I wish this was an April Fool's joke. It would be some funny shit, but I'm fucked. Haha, damn guys I really don't know where I'll be 2 months from now, but I'll die before I move back home, foolish pride or whatever you want to call it, but I'll just have to make my own way.
    Might not be the best of advice coming from a 15 year old, but do a few freelance jobs where you get paid and you can build your resume and portfolio on.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed
    I'm only 16 so I cant give great advice either but just try to keep learning a broad base that you can focuse in on later, not earlier. That way if you ever find that sweet job or something you're really interested in you can then focus in on that. I have a math teacher who used to do code for networks and I know someone who goes around the country setting up networks for U of M and get payed a ton for it so just keep at it and youll get there soon

[IMG]https://i595.photobucke*****m/albums/tt37/CHUD_69/zombies.gif[/IMG]

Learning c++, Approx. completion = .00005%

Also learning 3d design with all of Autodesk's suites Check out my newest kitchen chair design:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast