Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Breezy

Lightbulb Justification of the Atomic bomb- continued

I have continued this debate to a new post because that would have been a huge bump and i like being a member of MPGH so i just started a new thread.

I have used one link for the purposes of statistics, and by no way mean to advertize or anything like that.

Alright everybody. First things first, introductions. I am 17 years old. I am in the Junior to Senior summer in high school. I am in the top 20 of my class in a class of over 700. I am in my 4th year of debate, as in the class. I am American. Before going on i would like to state that American cannot be defined for the simple fact that no 2 Americans are alike, much like any other country on this planet. We all have different sensibilities. Different thoughts and hopes and opinions. So to say "those Americans" or "those British" or "those Japanese" is out right ignorant and vulgar.

Now, onto the question. The question that seems to have been lost in this forum is whether or not the U.S.'s bombing of Japan was justified. Before i begin, there is no yes or no answer and this debate can never be answered in such a way as that. The answer to this question boils down to two things. 1. The value you place on a Human life. 2. Nationalism. Combined these two values make a question. How much do you value life and do you value your countries lives over any other countries? As an American, I believe it is easy to value American lives over any other country. I believe that you feel the same way about your country. So here is the answer to the question in a purely philosophical standpoint. If you are American, yes the bombing of Japan was completely justified because it saved AMERICAN lives. If you are any other nationality, you have mixed feelings. If you are Japanese, no because it cost about 135,000 ( https://www.atomicarchive.com/Docs/MED/med_chp10.shtml) Japanese lives.

Now, if you want the answer based on facts, that i will not give because that would take an entire book to state and I've already typed A LOT. Do the research for yourself if you want that answer.
    [/SIZE]

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    It's perfectly fine to say "those Americans" , "Those Danes" , "Those Brits", etc.
    All populations share a opinion, or so would it seem for most countries.
    Most Americans have the same idea of things, possible duo to their obsession of the Media, nevertheless they think the same, so it's fine to generalize them as one and not as different from eachother.

Ofcourse, every country has a few outstanding individuals whom are not like others in their, intelligence, way of thinking, etc.

You can't say "Those 2.4% Americans" , "Those 100 Danes".
    If you speak for/against a people, you have to include everyone of them, as ignorant as it might seem.

EDIT: Sorry, completely forgot to answer the question, ofcourse after my interpretation of the answer.

I don't think it's right. to me it seems as the US clearly did it to demonstrate their power.
    The Atom bomb has destroyed many generations, for what? a war that only lasted a few years. To me it is a war crime, what the US did, regardless of what Japan did.
    Last edited by VirtualDUDE; 05-29-2011 at 01:35 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Was dropping a bomb justified in a time of war.

Yes.

/done.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Empire For This Useful Post:

DoctorLove (05-29-2011)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Breezy
    With all due respect the things you are saying are VERY ignorant. Our obsession to the media, ha. You really don't know many Americans do you? It is impossible to correctly judge a person based on his/her nationality and it is a prejudice to do so. On to your answer, our power? As if we actually needed to do that. We could have not used them and EASILY been viewed as a world superpower. That was NOT a demonstration of power and to say so is an insult to the face of the world, like they would be fooled into thinking we are all powerful by a couple of bombs. No, where we demonstrated our power is the Yalta Conference and years later through the Truman doctrine and actually saying we are the world's police state. You must really start looking at people as individuals not as a group. Because if i was judged by the color of my flag rather than my actions and words, I would be completely misjudged. I recommend that you go out and meet some people, just to see how different each one of them is. Please, never judge people as a whole, because it is WILDLY inaccurate to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post
    Was dropping a bomb justified in a time of war.

Yes.

/done.
    Lol if only
    Last edited by DoctorLove; 05-29-2011 at 01:45 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorLove View Post
    With all due respect the things you are saying are VERY ignorant. Our obsession to the media, ha. You really don't know many Americans do you? It is impossible to correctly judge a person based on his/her nationality and it is a prejudice to do so. On to your answer, our power? As if we actually needed to do that. We could have not used them and EASILY been viewed as a world superpower. That was NOT a demonstration of power and to say so is an insult to the face of the world, like they would be fooled into thinking we are all powerful by a couple of bombs. No, where we demonstrated our power is the Yalta Conference and years later through the Truman doctrine and actually saying we are the world's police state. You must really start looking at people as individuals not as a group. Because if i was judged by the color of my flag rather than my actions and words, I would be completely misjudged. I recommend that you go out and meet some people, just to see how different each one of them is. Please, never judge people as a whole, because it is WILDLY inaccurate to do so.
    Did you intentionally put the text to green so i had little chance of reading the text, considering my horrible eye sight, or was that just a one-to-a-hundred chance?

I know many Americans, infact they're not much different from each other. I know Canadians too, and again, there's little difference from them to the Americans. After all, they're all humans, right?

I strongly believe Americas acts were a crime, yet i also think they did it to demonstrate powers.
    The little drop of the bomb caused so much destruction that Japan surrendered in a matter of no time. Can you not see my point?
    What better way to demonstrate your military power, than dropping a bomb that causes a nuclear reaction, causing to protons to collide, causing a massive explosion and radioactive outfall?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Breezy
    LOL, sorry didn't know about your eyesight. But i'm just going to have to disagree with you on every point you make because you apparently don't know your history or government. That would be a ridiculous strategy of showing power. And as for the differences in individuals, your just a lost cause brother.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorLove View Post
    LOL, sorry didn't know about your eyesight. But i'm just going to have to disagree with you on every point you make because you apparently don't know your history or government. That would be a ridiculous strategy of showing power. And as for the differences in individuals, your just a lost cause brother.
    Well, then why DO you disagree? You're kind of letting the debate die out, not a pretty good idea considering you started it.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Doubtful
    Quote Originally Posted by VirtualDUDE View Post
    Well, then why DO you disagree? You're kind of letting the debate die out, not a pretty good idea considering you started it.
    Why'd the other debates die out?
    You didn't respond to me.

On topic, it was a time of war, of course it would been right.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy
    It wasn't to demonstrate power it was to save American lives, calculations said if we invaded the Japanese homeland we would have lost 1 mil American lives and even more of the japs, when we dropped the bomb we were expecting the civilians to go into bomb shelters but they only saw one plan so they thought it was a weather plane and they continue with there daily lives. By the way I think a civilization that raped stole and murdered for a living (Vikings) is a crime.
    "If a man empties his purse into his head, no man can take it away from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest."

-Benjamin Franklin
    ^One of our (our as in American no offence to non Americans) Founding Fathers and one of my personal heroes.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Quote Originally Posted by nevs666 View Post
    It wasn't to demonstrate power it was to save American lives
    Another one of these misunderstandings, and I'll go wipe your entire nation off the map, because i know how great harm humanity has been caused and will be, in the future, by your nation. (An example of the idiocy)

Don't you get it? Saying "We did it, or else they'd do it" doesn't justify mass murdering.

America has done it against Japan, Iraq, list practically goes on.
    All i see is people understanding this "ridiculous" insanity.

You can't justify an so called "terrorists" doing, but you can with Americas?
    I've said it before, and I'll (Thank god) say it again: You're being brainwashed.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy
    [FONT="Papyrus"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]
    Another one of these misunderstandings, and I'll go wipe your entire nation off the map, because i know how great harm humanity has been caused and will be, in the future, by your nation. (An example of the idiocy)

Don't you get it? Saying "We did it, or else they'd do it" doesn't justify mass murdering.

I've said it before, and I'll (Thank god) say it again: You're being brainwashed.
    I never said if we didn't do it they would have. The japs wouldn't have done it because they weren't (as far as I know) developing nukes. The death toll of Hiroshima was 90,000–140,000 and the death toll in Nagasaki was 75,000. 140,000+75,000= less then 1 mil. If we didn't use these bombs far more people would have died. Also I don't think you understand something, we are not the ones being brainwashed it is you who is being brainwashed because you probably believe every little lie about America on the internet. Another thing I feel I need to bring up what exactly has Denmark contributed to the world? Cookies? America on the other hand has invented the computer, so you are ranting about America on an American invention. Good job. Lastly in no war (excluding the aftermath of the Spanish American war) has the U.S purposely went out and killed civilians, In Iraq the civilian body count is about 100,000, most of which are caused by the terrorist we are hunting.

Ha he is banned.
    Last edited by nevs666; 05-30-2011 at 12:24 PM.
    "If a man empties his purse into his head, no man can take it away from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest."

-Benjamin Franklin
    ^One of our (our as in American no offence to non Americans) Founding Fathers and one of my personal heroes.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive

:/ Thats when you start a war.

The atomic bomb was dropped in the middle of a war, and it ended the war.

To say it is justified would be the same as saying the war was justified, since dropping its just dropping a bomb in the end.
    -A bomb that makes a bigger boom, but still a bomb.

We didn't drop a nuke anywhere but japan.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Doubtful

Okay dude, what are the other countries, since the list goes on?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Don't even ask for that, he can't provide anything besides Japan. And we've already discussed Japan.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Tired
    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post
    Don't even ask for that, he can't provide anything besides Japan. And we've already discussed Japan.
    Read the title, moron.
    You don't start a thread about another subject than intended, however you can turn a discussion around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast