Thread: Senior Year

Hybrid View

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive

Senior Year

Do you think that as a society, we still need our senior high school year? I feel as though we've evolved to where it's unneccessary. As freshmen, we are brought into a new school. Most of us put on our try-hard pants because we want to be successful throughout our high school career. However, once we hit our sophomore year, we tend to slack a bit. At least from what I've witnessed at my high school. And then, once we hit our junior year, we start trying again. Junior year is probably the most important year you'll go through in high school. It's the year that colleges look at most. You'll probably take the most AP/IB classes you can just to get into a good college. Then, once we hit senior year, it's like we're in kindergarten again. We just stop caring. It's senior year, why should we care? I feel as though if we get rid of senior year, we can have more time to spefically study the things we want to in college.

What's your opinion on this? Should senior year be taken out of high school?

Quote Originally Posted by TOXIN
    Shit, now I have to enter this chapacha shit.
    my tumblr
    How To: Not Get Banned Botting

"Had a dream I was king. I woke up, still king."
    .................................................-Eminem

Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy
    We should make school longer after all the brain is not fully developed until 20 something.
    "If a man empties his purse into his head, no man can take it away from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest."

-Benjamin Franklin
    ^One of our (our as in American no offence to non Americans) Founding Fathers and one of my personal heroes.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nevs666 For This Useful Post:

Sir Nathan (06-19-2011)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by nevs666 View Post
    We should make school longer after all the brain is not fully developed until 20 something.
    With senior year, one graduates at the age of 21. That's just basic high school and four years of college. Many people opt to take graduate school as well. Making school longer isn't neccessary.

my tumblr

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KABLE View Post

With senior year, one graduates at the age of 21. That's just basic high school and four years of college. Many people opt to take graduate school as well. Making school longer isn't neccessary.
    tell that to japan.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by nevs666 View Post
    Do you have proof saying the brain matures at a lower age then 25? What makes you think lowering school will help them? Knowledge is power the more you are in school the more you learn. Hell dropping a whole grad might even encourage dropping out, I mean if we can drop an entire year of schooling it must not be that important right?
    Michael Kearney?

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate. View Post

tell that to japan.
    I said as a nation. I figured that would be enough for people to know that I'm talking about the United States.

my tumblr

Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy
    Your making the assumption that people are going to college. Plus there are 2 year colleges too.
    "If a man empties his purse into his head, no man can take it away from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest."

-Benjamin Franklin
    ^One of our (our as in American no offence to non Americans) Founding Fathers and one of my personal heroes.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Even if there are people who don't go to college, what benefit, in your opinion, does senior year offer?

my tumblr

Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy
    A year closer to maturity.

-Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Maturity is a mental thing. Just because you're older doesn't mean you're more mature.

my tumblr

Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy
    Like I have said before you are not fully mentally mature until you are 20 something.

-Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Now, the problem with that is I won't be able to believe it until you give me sources that support your idea.

my tumblr

Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy
    Here and here.

-Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Those two are basically the same thing. The other webpage is just summarizing the news article. Also, there isn't enough proof to say that brain maturity does happen in our twenties. I'm not saying that I'm not considering it, but until further testing, it's just a hypothesis. If people don't go to college or they don't plan on going to college, what makes you think that extending school would help them? Who's to say that they won't just drop out of high school early?

my tumblr

Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by KABLE View Post
    Those two are basically the same thing. The other webpage is just summarizing the news article. Also, there isn't enough proof to say that brain maturity does happen in our twenties. I'm not saying that I'm not considering it, but until further testing, it's just a hypothesis. If people don't go to college or they don't plan on going to college, what makes you think that extending school would help them? Who's to say that they won't just drop out of high school early?
    Do you have proof saying the brain matures at a lower age then 25? What makes you think lowering school will help them? Knowledge is power the more you are in school the more you learn. Hell dropping a whole grad might even encourage dropping out, I mean if we can drop an entire year of schooling it must not be that important right?

-Benjamin Franklin