Thanks
    My Mood
    Sneaky

Post How to Clear the Screen

- Preface -

I’ve seen many posts opened on MPGH with the same question, “how do I clear the screen.” Well admins, it’s time to STICKY this post and put those relentless posts to rest. This tutorial explains how to properly and completely clear the HUD and text from the screen in G1’s first person shooter, War Rock. This information is intended to help those who produce machinimas, and does not contain any information that would give a player an advantage over another.
    Please give credit where credit is due, and no, this was not leeched from anywhere else. (As I couldn’t find anyone to help me when I was trying to do exactly what you are. I spent a number of weeks going though all the files to figure out what needed to be changed to make this happen and eventually did it. Thus War Rock Special Forces was created.)
    So please, don’t leech from me.

Creator: Silver Ace – Clinton Rorick - 6/20/2011

Note: this tutorial was written using the North American version of War Rock; other versions may use different files.
    ================================================== ===================================

Take this tutorial slow, Read carefully, and you will have no problems. I guarantee this works.

================================================== ===================================

And before I start getting posts about it.
    NOTE: Three things will still show on screen:
    1. Wrench above damaged vehicle.
    2. Clan pictures on names.
    3. G1 announcements bar.
    I know these are still here, don’t flame at me!

Sort of Solutions:
    1. Use the smoke to cover it, or edit it out with an editing program, or use crafty camera angles.
    2. Use people/accounts that don’t have clan tags. That’s simple enough.
    3. There’s no real way around this, (that I have found) except wait. They go away after a min. or two, be patient.

Table of Contents

Step 1: COPY THE ENTIRE WAR ROCK GAME FOLDER.
    Step 2: CLEAR THE HUD.
    Step 2.1: Editing .tga files using Photoshop.
    Step 2.2: Editing .tga files using GIMP.
    Step 3: Removing the text.
    Step 4: Removing the Fists.
    Step 5: Removing RED enemy tags.
    Resources: Where to find Gimp.
    Shameless plugs: Custom Crosshairs, Zombie Couch, WR Special Forces.

How to Clear the Screen:
    Ok, let’s get started.

Step 1: COPY THE ENTIRE WAR ROCK GAME FOLDER. (Somewhere else)
    This is really more of a recommendation from me, so you can choose to do it or not. I found it helpful, that way I could play the game from one folder, and have all my recording files waiting in another.

NOTE: Before you start changing anything, make sure your war rock settings/graphics are all set, (because they are a nearly impossible to change after changing the files)

DOUBLE NOTE: Make sure to check the “remember login” box on the login screen, with the account you plan to use BEFORE you change any files, (because it is also nearly impossible to change after changing the files)

Step 2: CLEAR THE HUD
    Now the HUD, or heads up display consists of most of what you see on the screen. (Score, guns, ammo count, mini map, etc.)
    In order to do this, you will need one of two programs, Photoshop (not free), or GIMP (Free) (there are more than that, but these are the two I will discuss.)
    Once you have those, we can start changing files. You will find the HUD files in this directory:

And ALL these files will need to be altered:
    NOTE: there are two files in most cases. Example: scope.tga and scope.tga.xml. You want to work with just the .tga files. If you get a page of code, you got the wrong one!

“Warrock/texture/UI/”

In_boxbg_01.tga
    In_icon_01.tga
    In_icon_02.tga
    In_icon_03.tga
    In_mask.tga
    In_text_01.tga
    In_text_05.tga
    tank_01_in.tga
    etc.tga

“Warrock/texture/UI/arms/crosshair”

Scope.tga
    Telescope.tga

“Warrock/texture/UI/arms/crosshair/air”

(All .tga files in this directory)

“Warrock/texture/UI/arms/crosshair/ground”

“Warrock/texture/UI/arms/crosshair/private”

Note: changing “In_crosshair_weapon_01” will remove sniper crosshairs. I note this because some directors might want to keep them in their videos.

“Warrock/texture/UI/arms/crosshair/sub”
    CrossHair Common.tga

“Warrock/texture/UI/arms/image/equipment”

“Warrock/texture/UI/arms/image/weapon”

“Warrock/texture/UI/arms/name”

“Warrock/texture/UI/Common”

Levelicon.tga

“Warrock/texture/UI/CostumeUnit”

Topgun.tga

“Warrock/texture/UI/effect”

“Warrock/texture/UI/event”

NOTE: These files are not as important, UNLESS, there is an event currently active, then they must be changed.

“Warrock/texture/UI/map/etc/UniqueMission”

“Warrock/texture/UI/map/etc/UniqueMission/purpose”

“Warrock/texture/UI/map/name”

“Warrock/texture/UI/

NOTE: The above files and directories include all that is needed to clear the screen and more. Everything that can be removed, (or has any reason to be removed) is listed above.

Step 2.1: Editing .tga files using Photoshop:

1. Import the file to be edited, let’s say for example, etc.tga. Either open it through the Photoshop file menu, or drag-n-drop it onto the Photoshop workspace.
    2. In your channels menu, by default in the lower left hand corner (CS4), select the “Alpha” channel. (This would be the one that is only black and white.)
    3. Select all, (ctrl-a), and fill it with black, (left shift-F5), and then MAKE SURE SO SAVE IT!
    (ctrl-s). Note: Don’t change the file name; just save over the existing file.
    4. Repeat steps 1-3 on all the above files

Step 2.2: Editing .tga files using GIMP:

1. Import the file to be edited, let’s say for example, etc.tga. Either open it through the GIMP file menu, or drag-n-drop it onto the GIMP workspace.
    2. In your channels menu, located on the upper right toolbar, select the “Alpha” channel. (This would be the one that is only black and white.) NOTE: If the channel selection is unavailable, click on windows, (on the top bar of the GIMP workspace), mouse over “Dockable Dialogs, and click on the Channel tab, and it will appear in the upper right hand corner.”
    3. On the channels tab, click on the “eyes” so that they do not show on all channels, EXCEPT Alpha.
    4. On the top menu of the GIMP workspace, click select, then, All. (ctrl-a)
    5. On the top menu of the GIMP workspace, click edit, then clear. (delete)
    SAVE THE FILE! Note: Don’t change the file name; just save over the existing file.
    6. Repeat steps 1-5 on all the above files

Congrats if you’ve made it this far. The previous steps are not hard, just time consuming, but keep going; you’re at the easy part now.

Step 3: Removing the text.

To remove the text, go to:

“Warrock/data/font”

1. Remove all files there, EXCEPT DEFAULT!!! You will need that one.
    2. Open default using notepad, wordpad, dreamweaver. Many programs will work.
    3. You should see this:

<Font Version="1.0">
    <Identity Name="Default" />
    <Attribute FaceName="Verdana" Height="13" Weight="400" Italic="False" Underline="False" StrikeOut="False" Quality="AntiAliased" />
    <DynamicTexture Width="512" MaxCount="4">
    </Font>

4. Where it says “height” and “weight”, set the values to “.01”. so that it looks like this:

<Font Version="1.0">
    <Identity Name="Default" />
    <Attribute FaceName="Verdana" Height=".01" Weight=".01" Italic="False" Underline="False" StrikeOut="False" Quality="AntiAliased" />
    <DynamicTexture Width="512" MaxCount="4">
    </Font>

5. Save the file. Don’t change the name, just overwrite it.

Note: This removes ALL text from the game. (except RED enemy tags) When you login, you will not be able to see what you type, but it is there. You will also have to navigate the menu without text. You will still be able to get into rooms, it just takes some work. Once in game, ALL text will be gone, leaving you with a completely clear screen, except for the fists and RED enemy tags, which is next.

Step 4: Removing the Fists:

Ok, this is the easiest part of all. Save the best for last right?

1. Go to:
    “Warrock/animation/SGF/ 1st_character”
    2. Simply Remove these two files:
    Gloves_Default_1st.SGF
    Upper_Default_1st.SGF

All done. Now that was painless right?

NOTE: In order to have a clear screen, default character skins must be used, and the hand must be empty. i.e. No knives.

Step 5: Removing RED enemy tags:

This is the last necessary step that needs to be done, (other things can be changed, I might add that later). Don’t worry, it’s easy as well.

1. Go to:

“Warrock/data”

2. Find and Remove this file:

HYHeadLineM13.fnt

Congrats. If you have follow all these steps to the letter, your War Rock will load without error, and you will have a clear Screen to record with.

NOTE: Three things will still show on screen:
    4. Wrench above damaged vehicle.
    5. Clan pictures on names.
    6. G1 announcements bar.
    I know these are still here, don’t flame at me!

Sort of Solutions:
    4. Use the smoke to cover it, or edit it out with an editing program, or use crafty camera angles.
    5. Use people/accounts that don’t have clan tags. That’s simple enough.
    6. There’s no real way around this, (that I have found) except wait. They go away after a min. or two, be patient.

But, if anyone cares to find proper solutions to these problems, I will amend this post, and give them full credit for their findings. I will not be solving these problems, as I am no longer working with War Rock as my machinimas base. Sadly, War Rock Special Forces is now a dead project. Sorry guys.

Resources: Where to find Gimp.

GMP is basically a free Photoshop. You can download it at this link:

https://gofree.com/download/Windows-S...esign/gimp.php

NOTE: When installing, be weary of the other things it tries to offer you. Just accept GIMP, and decline everything else.

Also, I am not a real GIMP user, I use Photoshop, so if there is an easier way to edit .tga files than the method I described, someone can post it and I will amend it to my post and give them full credit.

Shameless plugs: Custom Crosshairs, Zombie Couch, WR Special Forces.

Check out some of my other things, for instance, my custom cross hair pack, found right here on MPGH.

Check them out here:

https://www.mpgh.net/forum/159-warroc...oss-hairs.html
    Download them here:
    https://www.mpgh.net/forum/159-warroc...oss-hairs.html

Check out Zombie Couch Productions here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/ZombieCouch

Yes, WR Special Forces will not have an episode 4, but that doesn’t mean you should forget about us. We will be posting new stuff soon! Sorry for the wait.

- Ace –

And, if you live under a rock and haven’t seen War Rock Special Forces yet, check it out:
    Trailer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIXTF...el_video_title

I’ll let you guys find the rest.

Final Thoughts:

Whew, that was a lot of typing. I’m sure I made mistakes, mistypes, and a few other mis(ses). If you find something majorly wrong, or find something to hard to understand, message me or put up a post asking for clarification. I’d be glad to help. Now that this information is out there, I WANT YOU AWESOME DIRECTORS TO MAKE SOME AWESOME VIDEOS!!!

Good luck out there,

And just as a quick end note. If you want just certain things removed, for instance, just the helicopter HUD, send me a PM here and I will send you a quick tutorial regarding just what you are looking for.

- Ace -
    Over and Out.
    Last edited by Silver Ace; 06-21-2011 at 12:45 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Silver Ace For This Useful Post:

fidelbuds (06-22-2011),ramiwr00 (07-05-2011),rickbovenkamp2 (06-22-2011)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Nice Job but too bad that it will not work on our version(Warrock PH). I followed your tutorial and they are having crc checksum errors on some files.

But anyway i still thank you for the tutorial, i hope other people can do this
    Last edited by fidelbuds; 06-22-2011 at 06:18 AM.

Thanks
    AWESOME, I don't know if I will make a vid, but I am surely gonna play without HUD ^^.
    Not only the trick is awesome, but the tut itself is very clear and complete.
    Thanks (I also pressed thanks )

Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy
    Good job! I followed your tutorial and it worked perfectly.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    I think I once posted a No HuD mod for these things.
    Guess it might still be somewhere around in the skinning section but this is also very usefull.

Thanks
    nice bro keep up the great work <3

Thanks
    keep up the great work <3