Thread: System upgrade

Thanks
    My Mood
    Innocent

System upgrade

Hi,

I want to upgrade my PC because i have around 40 - 50 fps overall on blops cause of my GPU

Tell me if it's a good upgrade what i'm doing

Specs NOW:

Q6600 C2Q 2.4GHZ
    4gb ram
    geforce 9500gt pci-e
    305w stock dell.

After upgrade:

Q6600 C2Q 2.4Ghz (will OC using pin mod to 3ghz since my mobo doesnt allow to OC i have to do it the mod way )
    4gb ram
    GTX460 (shader unlock by HD6870 bios flash )
    Antec earthwatt 750w

If anyone can predict me how much fps i would get overall i would be thankfull,

Thx,Apple.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    get a better gpu

for example gtx 550 they aren't that expensive

and be sure your cpu is well cooled or your system will fall out

and you can overclock in the bios ?
    Last edited by lolbie; 07-28-2011 at 03:04 PM.
    I love it when people keep their agreements /sarcasm ftw

Thanks
    My Mood
    Innocent
    Quote Originally Posted by lolbie View Post
    get a better gpu

for example gtx 550 they aren't that expensive

and be sure your cpu is well cooled or your system will fall out

Umm, i don't think you red my thread clearly and you don't seem to know much about GPU-s nor CPU-s.

First of all, gtx460 is much better than the gtx550. (Theres not even a gtx550 ever made by nvidia, only the TI version) Secondly i got a 750w antec for a shitty cpu and gpu (your opinion) so what makes you think i need cooling?

Thirdly, if you meant the GTX560, even than you didn't notice that my CPU is a quad 3.0ghz. If you bring those together you WILL get a bottleneck.

Fourthly, my gtx460 will be shaderclocked & modded for a HD6870's shaders. that means my gtx460's shader speed will be clocked to a HD6870's.
    Conclusion: it will be better than the gtx560.

Quote Originally Posted by lolbie View Post

What makes you think i would do the pin mod?

I need an expert here who had a q6600 experience or someone who just knows much about it.

Thanks, Apple.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Quote Originally Posted by PP_CrazyApple View Post
    Umm, i don't think you red my thread clearly and you don't seem to know much about GPU-s nor CPU-s.

First of all, gtx460 is much better than the gtx550. (Theres not even a gtx550 ever made by nvidia, only the TI version) Secondly i got a 750w antec for a shitty cpu and gpu (your opinion) so what makes you think i need cooling?
    true but i was just trying to help and there exists a gtx 550 -__-

ALTERNATE - HARDWARE - Grafische kaarten - Alle PCIe kaarten - EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti Superclocked

EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti Superclocked (Retail, 2x DVI, Mini-HDMI, SLI)

and i didn't know about that gtx 450 is better but 550 sounds higher/better

and further sounds nice
    I love it when people keep their agreements /sarcasm ftw

Thanks
    Weather or not it sounds nice is irrelevant. Performance > looks

And what you have picked out seems fine, but do be very wary of cooling when OC'ing. You also might want to consider saving a few bucks by getting a 5750 and then flashing it to a 5770.
    Texture Mods

Obedear, the sky is low

Thanks
    My Mood
    Innocent
    Quote Originally Posted by Heartview View Post
    Weather or not it sounds nice is irrelevant. Performance > looks

And what you have picked out seems fine, but do be very wary of cooling when OC'ing. You also might want to consider saving a few bucks by getting a 5750 and then flashing it to a 5770.
    Thanks for your reply, many people told me the same at oc forums. But for me performance>money. If i can get my baby to be OC'd too 3.0ghz somehow, i don't think the gtx460 will bring me a bottleneck.

EDIT: I have a shitty dell fan that runs on 40%, ill turn it to 80

@lolbie,

Thx for your reply. I think your a bit confused by my terrible way of explaining haha sorry

The link you gave me to the gtx550 is a TI version, theres no gtx550. Theres also no gtx450, i think you made a spelling issue there bro

Thanks for the replies, Apple.
    Last edited by PP_CrazyApple; 07-28-2011 at 04:31 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Breezy
    A crap CPU and a good GPU can bottleneck the peformance of the GPU, not allowing it to run at its full potential. Just some information.
    Donate:
    BTC: 1GEny3y5tsYfw8E8A45upK6PKVAEcUDNv9

Handy Tools/Hacks:
    Extreme Injector v3.7.3
    A powerful and advanced injector in a simple GUI.
    Can scramble DLLs on injection making them harder to detect and even make detected hacks work again!

Minion Since: 13th January 2011
    Moderator Since: 6th May 2011
    Global Moderator Since: 29th April 2012
    Super User/Unknown Since: 23rd July 2013
    'Game Hacking' Team Since: 30th July 2013

--My Art--
    [Roxas - Pixel Art, WIP]
    [Natsu - Drawn]
    [Natsu - Coloured]

All drawings are coloured using Photoshop.

--Gifts--
    [Kyle]

Thanks
    ^To be honest, buying big and fancy quad core CPU's actually winds up doing the opposite. CPU power goes very unused when you start getting past the 2.6GHz and greater dual core range. Games dont, or very rarely use hyperthreading and most are not optimized for quads at all. A good dual core at around 2.6-3.2 GHz is plenty sufficient really. Especially considering a lot of games rely more on GPU power than CPU for calculations and such.
    Texture Mods

Obedear, the sky is low

Thanks
    My Mood
    Doh
    depends on how much money you want to spent.
    another question is what kind of motherboard is used in your pc?

if its an oem version than its mostly impossible to oc properly cause you need to specify various values of voltage when oc the cpu, gpu and rams.
    are you running a ddr2 or a ddr3 socket 775 board?

timings of the rams? what is the max timing supported by the mainboard?

you can easily oc your current cpu at 3.4 ghz by aircooling but that depdens on the mainboard either. and well you need a very good airflow cause these cpus gets hot like hell
    + if you oc the ram then you need a ramcooler too
    + the NB and SB gets warmer, depends on the cooling features used by the mainboard

i didnt research for the antec psu, but make sure it is 80+.
    the GTX460 is a pretty good card and a good choice, even if i dont like nvidia

would be the best if you read out your systemspecs using cpu-z for example and post them here.
    Last edited by d0h; 07-29-2011 at 11:59 AM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Innocent
    Quote Originally Posted by d0h View Post
    depends on how much money you want to spent.
    another question is what kind of motherboard is used in your pc?

if its an oem version than its mostly impossible to oc properly cause you need to specify various values of voltage when oc the cpu, gpu and rams.
    are you running a ddr2 or a ddr3 socket 775 board?

timings of the rams? what is the max timing supported by the mainboard?

you can easily oc your current cpu at 3.4 ghz by aircooling but that depdens on the mainboard either. and well you need a very good airflow cause these cpus gets hot like hell
    + if you oc the ram then you need a ramcooler too
    + the NB and SB gets warmer, depends on the cooling features used by the mainboard

i didnt research for the antec psu, but make sure it is 80+.
    the GTX460 is a pretty good card and a good choice, even if i dont like nvidia

would be the best if you read out your systemspecs using cpu-z for example and post them here.
    Thanks for the reply. About the memory, i still need to pirate Everest because i don't know anything about my ram except that it's 4gb

About my mobo&CPU, my mobo doesn't allow OC (oem) like i said before, but i can do pin modding to change either voltage or my fsb speed from 1066 to 1377(3ghz). (it only affects the CPU)

About cooling: i don't have problems with cooling, i can set my fan speed higher. Since my pc is used to get hot, it shouldn't be a problem unitl 80C.

@Heartview.

Thanks bud, thats all i wanted to know actually: If my CPU is shit or not...
    I guess wont really run in such a bottleneck with the GTX460 & q6600 3ghz

Thx for the help, Apple.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Doh
    @PP_CrazyApple ah okay

i would double up the ram (not if you have a ddr2 board, waste of money), more is always better.
    set it up to 3ghz, probably get a cpu cooler like the mugen 2 for example (can be used on any other socket too, so no waste of money)
    thats with the new psu and the new gpu should be a great increase in fps for sure.

about the overall cooling "problem". you will run into a problem when its getting to hot cause the cpu will downclock itself and i dont think that this is what you want.
    and it will get hotter cause you increase the speed by 600 mhz, the new gpu card is hotter than your old one too, remember that. overall you need a better airflow.
    sure you can prevent the downclocking by disabling eist/ci in the bios settings but then your cpu can/will die.
    everything above 50-55° is too much for a q6600.

@[MPGH]Heartview that was a few years ago, nowadays its commonly supported by the latest games
    Last edited by d0h; 07-29-2011 at 02:59 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by d0h View Post
    @PP_CrazyApple ah okay

i would double up the ram (not if you have a ddr2 board, waste of money), more is always better.
    set it up to 3ghz, probably get a cpu cooler like the mugen 2 for example (can be used on any other socket too, so no waste of money)
    thats with the new psu and the new gpu should be a great increase in fps for sure.

about the overall cooling "problem". you will run into a problem when its getting to hot cause the cpu will downclock itself and i dont think that this is what you want.
    and it will get hotter cause you increase the speed by 600 mhz, the new gpu card is hotter than your old one too, remember that. overall you need a better airflow.
    sure you can prevent the downclocking by disabling eist/ci in the bios settings but then your cpu can/will die.
    everything above 50-55° is too much for a q6600.

@[MPGH]Heartview that was a few years ago, nowadays its commonly supported by the latest games
    The latest games, and even then its pretty badly optimized. My point was that CPU's dont need to be really powerful to risk bottlenecking. Games rely a lot more on GPU than CPU so so long as the CPU is decent it wont matter that much.
    Texture Mods

Obedear, the sky is low

Thanks
    My Mood
    Blah
    When you upgrade you'll have a 100+ fps gain im thinkin

Thanks
    With the pin mod on the Q6600 if you have decent airflow you won't have to worry about changing the cooling, there isn't any increase in vcore when doing this. Changes in temperature will be minimal. But keep an eye on them as it sounds like you have an older OEM computer depending on brand their cooling solutions were proprietary and can be awful

Video card choice is a good one. You're not flashing anything when you're increasing the shader clocks. You'll just be overclocking the card, which isn't a problem. Many software solutions available to help you do this and test for stability while doing so.

Antec 750 is a little overkill if you wanted to save some money, a solidly built 500 would do you just fine (even with CPU and GPU overclocked). If you're not confident in that, you can check the power supply calculator at outer vision. That's one of the more accurate ones.