Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted

Some insight into Singleplayer/Multiplayer

Question from Matt Olson
    If you had to compare mw3 to a previous call of duty which game is it most like?

Response from Michael Condrey of Sledgehammer Games
    Hi Matt.

Your question caused me to pause and really think about my answer. I can't figure out if my brain is answering as a Call of Duty fan, or a Call of Duty developer. It probably comes from a position of both.

Every game in the Call of Duty series is based around certain core values to the property, but each also has its own flavor and personality. It’s tough to directly compare this game to just one particular title in the series as each looks to build off of the greatest from the ones before, and to learn from the opportunities each presented. I think the campaign mode is bigger and more impactful than any of its predecessors. Innovations to Spec Ops, including Survival Mode, are really exciting and beyond either MW1 or MW2. From a Multiplayer perspective, most hardcore followers of the franchise say that Call of Duty 4 is the purest shooter in the series. Minimal air support, superb level design, gun skill based, etc. Modern Warfare 2 was fantastic in its own way as well. Customizable killstreaks, more weapons, and faster game play were some of the key expansions that made MW2 a very dynamic multiplayer experience.

We play Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 multiplayer every night at Sledgehammer Games. The game feels like it has gotten back to some of the roots of why this series has been so successful. It’s a revamped engine with a refined approach on features. Our Community Manager, Guy Beahm, is a rabid high level MP player. He believes MW3 has taken MP to the next level, and I agree. (Or at least, I think so, since most of the time I feel like I am just running my head into his bullets.) There is elegance in the map design, with great flow and less verticality, a refocus towards gun skill, less noise in terms of air support, and teamwork is crucial for success. At least that is how I feel as a fan-boy/developer.

We understand that once the game is launched, it isn’t the end of it. The fans are the key for great MP development. Constructive feedback is a necessity, and openness to criticism is a requirement. Here at Sledgehammer Games, we’re big fans of Treyarch’s community model because of how actively they interact with their fans. They continuously engage with their community and look for ways to help define the best multiplayer experience for players.

We have the same intentions. We’ll be looking for feedback on how to give you the experience to date, and beyond, in the Call of Duty franchise. When 11-8-2011 comes around, please know we are all ears. Tell us what you like, what you don’t, and where you’d like to see things go in the future. While you are at it, please quickscope the %$#& out of Guy Beahm if you find him online.

-Michael Condrey
    My thoughts on his response
    • He says multiplayer is going back to the roots of what made the franchise successful. Hopefully (and I'm praying) this means a step away from BO styled multiplayer and back to more pure gun v gun action of CoD4 and the Class Making of MW2.
    • Less verticality, so this could mean bye bye maps similar to Terminal, Strike, Crash etc and more maps like Vacant, Sub Base and Bog.
    • Great flow. This is an interesting one really as BO was never known for it's flow, largely because every part of the map had multiple entries all of which were potential chokepoints depending on which direction the enemies would spawn. However in CoD4 and MW2 whilst you could attack parts of the maps from different angles there wasn't much in the way of chokepoints, minus a couple of buggy spawn traps: [video=youtube;96y7HCmb5m8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IQm6RKqhw0"]Bog from CoD4[/url][url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96y7HCmb5m8[/video]).
    • Less Air Support. From whats been confirmed there is very little in the way of Air Support. The Littlebird and perhaps (lasts longer than bombing runs so I'll it air support for now) are the only Air Support rewards I've seen besides the standard bombing run killstreaks. Hopefully the Littlebird and any other air support vehicles that get confirmed are easier to take down than previous killstreaks.
    • Treyarch Community Model. I'm hoping this is the only thing they're stealing from Treyarch and I hope they actually actively listen to the community rather than asking questions, listening, then coming up with theie own answer.

Anyways I just felt like writing a wall of text. So let me know your thoughts about it.
    Last edited by Doc; 08-09-2011 at 09:33 PM.
    THE ABSOLUTE GREATEST

Thanks
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    MW3 is shaping up to be one of the best CODS' yet. COD4 was probably my favourite, now theyre heading back in that direction.
    for 3arc.
    RIP MINECRAFT SECTION!
    03.10.2010 - 26.09.2011

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakob View Post
    MW3 is shaping up to be one of the best CODS' yet. COD4 was probably my favourite, now theyre heading back in that direction.
    for 3arc.
    Treyarch isnt making it IW + Sledgehammer + Raven are making it.
    THE ABSOLUTE GREATEST

Thanks
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post

Treyarch isnt making it IW + Sledgehammer + Raven are making it.
    Errr thats embarrasing, i left out what i was going to say.
    "Hopefully IW dont ditch mw3 like they did for previous titles, Not releasing patches. ( for 3arc).

Thanks
    I honestly can not see tha game taking a true turn back towards its 'roots' which if nobody remembers, was CoD 1 and 2. CoD4 was just where the series got sales. But I would be plenty happy if they toned down the killstreaks a bunch, and went back to a CoD4 style of play. My only real beef with CoD4 was the limited amount of custom classes.

Though I dont really get the problem with vertical maps. I loved playing terminal even though it wasnt a great map, and maps like crash and stuff where fun to play as well. Crossfire, arguably the best map in CoD4 had a lot of vertical element to it.

Though 3arc's community model was good in theory, it was awful when applied. I do believe Valve has the best community interaction, and its evident to players that play a lot of TF2. I really wish more developers would take notes from Valve, but it seems getting the game out in time it 10x more important than making it good anymore.
    Texture Mods

Obedear, the sky is low

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Heartview View Post
    I honestly can not see tha game taking a true turn back towards its 'roots' which if nobody remembers, was CoD 1 and 2. CoD4 was just where the series got sales. But I would be plenty happy if they toned down the killstreaks a bunch, and went back to a CoD4 style of play. My only real beef with CoD4 was the limited amount of custom classes.

Though I dont really get the problem with vertical maps. I loved playing terminal even though it wasnt a great map, and maps like crash and stuff where fun to play as well. Crossfire, arguably the best map in CoD4 had a lot of vertical element to it.

Though 3arc's community model was good in theory, it was awful when applied. I do believe Valve has the best community interaction, and its evident to players that play a lot of TF2. I really wish more developers would take notes from Valve, but it seems getting the game out in time it 10x more important than making it good anymore.
    Good post. You basically just summed up how I feel.

Thanks
    it's mw2 with some aspects of cod4.