Threaded View

Thanks

Clarification on the forum etiquette rules.

Hi. By no means is this post intended to slight the abilities of the staff here but more to get a better understanding of the rules from the standpoint of the various staff here in order to maintain a peaceful MPGH experience and resolve conflicts in a way that doesn't put my membership in jeopardy.

I have read the rules listed here and assume this supersedes the rules listed here. Therefore, my understanding is that you break a rule, you get an infraction/ban. Looking at my post history, I have been more careful about the content of my posts since the July rules have gone into effect.

The reason for this inquiry is because of this. I've received similar posts like this in the past from DanK but the last time I reported him for it, the offending post was deleted and nothing further happened (this was after the July rules have gone into effect). Upon inquiry, it seems that his understanding is that there are no punishments for his violations because no one reports them. I'm interested in knowing whether violations can be ignored if no one reports it and does "subject to punishment under the moderator's/admin's discretion" still apply when the violation is blatantly obvious?

I reported him for the post I linked to in the thread and it seems the thread was closed. I spoke to the minion for that section and he stated that DanK might get an infraction for his behavior so I'd like to get a better understanding whether there are grey areas in enforcement or whether it's cut and dry so I can know whether I should just report problematic posts in the future or respond to them. These recent experiences have given me the impression that for one reason or another, there are users who can violate the rules without consequence. If I haven't made it obvious, I find that very concerning.

Lastly, for the staff that read through the rest of the thread, have I violated any rules here defending myself against DanK's provocations? If so, I don't mind accepting punishment, but if I knew what rules I violated and suggestions on how I could've avoided it, it would help prevent a repeat should this situation arise again. Because I am not a frequent poster here, I feel I may be missing out on some of the nuances of how the administration side of things here work so I think that it would be worthwhile for me to better understand things in order to resolve conflicts in a less confrontational matter.

I appreciate the staff here taking the time to read this and I hope that I didn't cause a problem posting here. I apologize in advance if this wasn't the right section to post.
    Last edited by Checkbox; 09-06-2011 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Fixed some grammar mistakes.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Checkbox For This Useful Post:

Ian (09-06-2011)