Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive

Need some suggestions D: + Mini essay

I have a hard time finding Anime I like. I'm rather picky about what i watch but this is what I like in Anime.

My criteria:
    1. A strong central plot. - I watched Bleach to about episode 113 and Naruto until 2-- but both of them lacked an strong plot. What I want is a STRONG plot that the majority of the episodes in the Anime follow. Show by show Anime like Gintama don't really appeal to me.
    2. Interesting concepts/Supernatural. - By this, I mean like the contractors in Darker than Black, the Soul Society with its swords with abilities, Naruto with its 'ninja arts', hokage, etc, and how Death Note has its notebook of death (borderline).
    3. Setting can't be too realistic. - I'm not saying I hate a modern city world but if I wanted to see that kind of thing, I'd go outside. Good examples of this was Naruto's world, Bleach's alternate 'dimentions' (if you can call the soul society and wako mundo that), and Avatar: LTA's nation-based world. Death note I was fine with though, as the plot was simply amazing.
    4. Strong relationships between characters. - I couldn't stand it in Bleach how there isn't any character developement. The characters are static, never changing. The best examples of this are Avatar: LTA, which had AMAZING character development, and Darker than Black, following Li and how he reacts to losing those around him.
    5. Romance. - I'm not talking the extremely gushy puppy love pulp. I'm talking a relationship that develops from character development. My favorite examples of this are, as above, Darker than Black with Li and Yin, and Aang and Katara in Avatar: TLA despite it only showing in the end after many MANY hints and foreshadowing. EDIT: Let me get this straight, I don't like harems or Anime dedicated to romance. Dunno how that misinterpretation came up.
    6. Male lead. - I know it sounds sexist but as a guy, I like watching a male main character. It's more interesting to me as I can connect with the character. Girls are too emotional as a lead from what I've seen and not as intriguing.
    7. Good length. - I refuse to watch Anime less than 20 episodes. 24 is a stretch still... I want time to connect with the characters and learn what the like and dislike, who they are. In less than 20 episodes...it's rather hard to do that.
    8. Serious in general. - Don't get me wrong, I like humor in Anime, but when it drowns out the plot to the point of where every time a character speaks it's to draw a cheap laugh, I draw my line.

The notable Anime I've watched and my reactions: (Separated by color so you can read them )
    • Avatar: TLA - Amazing character development, amazing world, consistent plot, still one of the best I've ever seen. It managed to feel longer than it was and after finishing it, I sat reading fan fics for well over 10 hours straight because I refused to believe it was over. Didn't eat that day. *I know this isn't considered real anime as it's from America but...

• Naruto - It held my interested for the most part, at times I stopped watching for a week or so. The character development was OK, but some of them didn't change. My biggest gripe with the series is the main plot. I can't stand Saske and why Naruto chases after him so much defies any logic I know. Plus, about 30 or so episodes into Shippuden, it stops feeling new and unique and starts to be...cliche? I don't quite know how to put it.

• Bleach - When I first started watching Bleach, I couldn't stop. The fight scenes were pretty awesome with some great underdog battles and a pretty decent concept. But then I realized that I was 75 episodes into the series and none of the characters were any different. Ichigo was still a 'badass' 16(?) year old who gets pissed off really easy. Renji was still a quick-tempered kid who pulled out his bankai every other second. It got to the point I couldn't stand hearing, "You haven't seen my TRUE power!" again...was becoming DBZ with all the 'powerups' the characters went through. And lastly, I realized Ichigo and Rukia are not canon and the series never will have a real 'romantic' relationship.

• Death Note - Awesome anime in general. I was rather put off by the modern setting and the fact that there really isn't much supernatural going on it it but I stuck with the show and was blown out of my mine. The plot was astounding. Until episode 25-26, there was character development and L and Light's dance of minds was interesting. After L died in 25-26, I couldn't stand it however. He was my favorite character in an anime so far. The part that really got to me was how he washed Light's feet and told him he was his first friend. L's quirks were funny and satisfying to watch while still keeping the series in a serious tone.

• One Piece - I'm about 60 episodes into it without much to say. I only really watch it after I finish a truly great Anime and need to be broken out of my little stupor where I sit there and reflect on what I just saw while fantasizing about it continuing. It's funny and charming but not really the type of Anime I like as everything in it seems to aim to be comical. Don't get me wrong, I like humor in the Anime I watch but every line of every episode is a bit of a stretch... It doesn't feel serious at all...

• Fullmetal Alchemist/Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood - Both were very good Anime. As with Death Note, I was hesitant about the city setting but I got over it and was able to watch a truly great series play out. Most of the main characters went through some major changes throughout the show and despite a god awful ending to first series, it managed to make me smile and reminiscent. Without a doubt, the first of the two Anime was more humorous, but not to the point that it made me annoyed. With some good showdowns, music, and characters, both of the shows were outstanding because of a strong plot with few fillers.

• Darker than Black - A friend suggested this to me and I started watching it after getting tired of One Piece. It was a total surprise, the first 4-5 episodes didn't do much for me but then the Anime got me hooked. After finishing the first season I was a little iffy about wasting my time with the OVA and season 2 after the ending season 1 had but I pulled myself through and started on the OVA. The OVA for Darker than Black were some of the best anime episodes I've ever seen. It had AMAZING character development with Yin and Hei. Their romance in those 4 episodes were what made me realize how much that sort of thing affected me. After the end of the OVA's, I freaked out seeing that Yin was possibly going to be killed and that Hei wasn't the main character anymore. After holding my breath throughout season 2, I finally watched the final episode and I am not satisfied with the ending. I can't stand not knowing what happened with Hei and Yin.

Thanks for reading, any suggestions are welcome!!!
    Last edited by Shakugan no Shana; 09-17-2011 at 02:11 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Shakugan no Shana For This Useful Post:

Hassan (09-17-2011)

Thanks
    Oh em gee your like a anime fan or something to be able to list all that with precise detail.
    [IMG]https://lh4.googleuserconten*****m/-2mhYwvrrFYs/TYWT-Bg-6PI/AAAAAAAAARM/khuTJxUqQu0/s320/tumblr_ku2f2t1Y9p1qaqo0wo1_400.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks
    My Mood
    Dead
    Great criteria and choice :]
    I have a class in 5 minutes, so I'll see what I can suggest when I get home.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Have you tried fairy tail?

Donator Since: 12/08/2011
    Minion Since: 04/10/2012

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronyxjr. View Post
    Have you tried fairy tail?
    Thought about it but as I said, I can't watch one with a female lead :/

Thanks
    Not considering these mainstream animes, I would say to you try Kara no Kyoukai. It has 7 movie episodes (only movies, there's no "only episodes"), the only criteria what doesn't match with your is the male lead, but it is a great anyway, you should give it a try.
    Another one I recommend for you is Gintama.
    DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF
    AND FACE TO BLOODSHED

Thanks
    I would recommend the Gundam Seed Series + Destiny. It's a great anime, watch it.

There is also Gash Bell, which also appealed me. It had good comedy, and action to it too.
    [] [] [] [][]

Editor from 06•14•2011 • 2014
    Donator since 09•16•2011
    Minion from 10•10•2011 • 01•06•2011
    Minion+ from 01•06•2012 • 08•08•2012
    Moderator from 08•08•2012 • 10•06•2012
    Global Moderator from 10•06•2012 • 12•05•2017
    Staff Administrator from 12•05•2017 • 05•01•2019
    Trusted Member since 07•13•2019
    Global Moderator since 09•11•2020

Thanks
    My Mood
    Blah
    With these criterium you likely want to watch something like ToAru Majutusu No Index.-recommendings on manga but anime = gewd 2.(50eps or sum.)
    hmm would Trinity Blood work too... bought the first 2 dvd's when i was in poland thier quite enjoyable to watch.(+24 eps)
    The world only god knows, shonen but good to watch.(idk eps)
    Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru, the main char is crossdressed but ok... it's funney because of the fact he's forced to go there... Daum still need to get the 2nd game for the psp (Didnt know this game was a eroge too... ahwell :3)(12 eps)
    Mayoi Neko Overrun(13 eps + 4 bonusses), Sora No Otoshimono (24 eps + 2 extra + movie)

Most others are like 13eps... for now.

how could i not add The melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya .[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    Last edited by Kuro Tenshi; 09-17-2011 at 11:30 AM.
    DigiDrawing|+ ( (Elfen Archer) )
    Link:
    https://www.mpgh.net/forum/148-showro...en-archer.html

@ Anime Section,Otaku/weeabo (orz.) @Graphics Section, Novice DigiArtist

neuest gift from Yura~Chan:
    https://bakyurayuu.deviantar*****m/#/d372taw
    2nd Place MOTM#9 Theme: CharMods - Combat Arms [No - Thanks] button
    come on you know that don't want to push that ordinary button

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigsaw View Post
    Not considering these mainstream animes, I would say to you try Kara no Kyoukai. It has 7 movie episodes (only movies, there's no "only episodes"), the only criteria what doesn't match with your is the male lead, but it is a great anyway, you should give it a try.
    Another one I recommend for you is Gintama.
    My problem with Gintama is that is has no main plot whatsoever :/ It's goes episode by eposode as their own stories.
    Sora No Otoshimono, Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru are harem series, not my style of romance.
    Gash Bell...I dunno, story sounds interesting but the cover art seems childish, is it actually like that? Plus the age of the characters makes it seem to me like there would be little romantic interaction.

ToAru Majutusu No Index looks interesting, will probably try it.

Oh and I'm not a big fan of mech Anime, forgot to say in main post.
    Last edited by Shakugan no Shana; 09-17-2011 at 12:58 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Grumpy
    You watch Zero No Tsukaima?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinobi View Post
    You watch Zero No Tsukaima?
    No, can't stand a female lead :/

Thanks
    My Mood
    Grumpy
    Quote Originally Posted by L View Post

No, can't stand a female lead :/
    But it's mostly Saito, but I guess she is in there as much as he is... I was gonna suggest Angel Beats, but it's only 13 episodes... Eden of the East only has 11 episodes, but has 3 movies. What about Yakitate Japan? Not sure if it'll suit your tastes though.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    I've never really watch the movies of Anime I watch as they don't work off the main plot and that's the biggest thing I like about Anime.

Also as I said, I'm not into the harem type Anime :/

Thanks
    My Mood
    Grumpy
    Quote Originally Posted by L View Post
    I've never really watch the movies of Anime I watch as they don't work off the main plot and that's the biggest thing I like about Anime.

Also as I said, I'm not into the harem type Anime :/
    Yakitate Japan isn't a harem. o.o

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinobi View Post

Yakitate Japan isn't a harem. o.o
    Was talking about Angel Beats

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast