In Love

FTL Particle, Why/Why not?

Particles found to break speed of light | Reuters

Faster than light particle discovered? debate gogogogo
    Previously Armalite42

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheeky
    Waiting for independent confirmation, keep it in your pants. This is a matter for physicists, not 12 year olds on internet forums.
    "We swallow greedily any lie that flatters us, but we sip only little by little at a truth we find bitter." ~ Denis Diderot

Thanks
    These particles weren't flying through a vacuum, and Einstein's law is based off of particles in the vacuum in space so that could prove it wrong.
    [IMG]https://i1213.photobucke*****m/albums/cc463/masks1/my_loving_flame_by_mj_magic-d5gkrqk.jpg[/IMG]

"Christian Bible, the Gospel of Mark, chapter five, verse nine. We acknowledge this as an appropriate metaphor. We are Legion, a terminal of the Geth. We will integrate into Normandy."
    -Legion

Thanks
    My Mood
    In Love
    I think that they would have thought of that over the last three years of trying to disprove it before making a media release... @Paroxysm I like talking about it.
    Previously Armalite42

Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy
    Who cares? We can't do anything with this knowledge anyway, what are we just suddenly start funding NASA again to make a spaceship go faster then the speed of light?
    "If a man empties his purse into his head, no man can take it away from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest."

-Benjamin Franklin
    ^One of our (our as in American no offence to non Americans) Founding Fathers and one of my personal heroes.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Breezy
    THREAD NUMBER 1337 OLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLOL DO WE GET A SECTION BAN ANY1?!?!?!?!?!?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Tired
    It's a theory to others....some may find it true or just another false information.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    I never considered Einstein's to be a law. It was more of a theory to me. And we all know how theories are proven wrong in just a matter of time.

On the other side of the subject, provided that this things do travel faster than light, of what use will it be? We can't even match the speed of light.

P.S. There's a difference between light and sub-atomic particles, so even if Einstein's wrong (which is more likely anyways, he generalized his law to the universal level), we don't know if this sub-atomic particles are indeed traveling faster than light and are not being altered by some space-time distortion.
    God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Seems like someones been proved wrong.

Thanks
    Why is everyone saying that he was wrong? E=MC˛ explains the observable universe and has done so since its discovery. Clocking things like elementary particles, especially neutrinos, in his day was something that you really couldn't do. It's only because we have our particle accelerators that we are able to obtain such information. To say he is wrong is incorrect because it still applies. So it's just a matter of his equation being incomplete rather then him being flat out wrong. Like his theory of General Relativity that refines what gravity is and how it interacts, his theory falls apart when encountering the subject of black holes...that's where quantum mechanics comes in. So they are trying to extend General Relativity so that it incorporates what Quantum Mechanic says to create a unified theory of everything. It could be that his Special Relativity needs the same attention from Quantum Mechanics to finish the job. He has always been right when it comes to the very big (planets, stars, galaxies, etc) but Quantum Mechanics deals with the very small (atoms, particles, etc). Einstein ftw!
    Last edited by Einstein2.0; 09-26-2011 at 06:35 PM.
    Caltech -Theoretical physics

Thanks
    But again this is all irrelevant because this was most likely not tested in a vacuum space. And the difference is HUGE if its not in a vacuumed space.
    [IMG]https://i1213.photobucke*****m/albums/cc463/masks1/my_loving_flame_by_mj_magic-d5gkrqk.jpg[/IMG]

"Christian Bible, the Gospel of Mark, chapter five, verse nine. We acknowledge this as an appropriate metaphor. We are Legion, a terminal of the Geth. We will integrate into Normandy."
    -Legion

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    :/ what are the odds something could happen, derp.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Commander X View Post
    But again this is all irrelevant because this was most likely not tested in a vacuum space. And the difference is HUGE if its not in a vacuumed space.
    Well I'd be inclined to agree with you but neutrinos don't interact with matter so it pretty much travels freely. Billions of neutrinos travel through the earth's crust with ease which is why almost all of the detectors for neutrinos are built underground where they would have less interference from other particles. Now light travels 186000 miles per second in a vacuum but it tends to be slowed down, even just the slightest bit here on earth. The fact that they clocked neutrinos on earth going faster then c (speed of light in a vacuum) means that it could potentially still go even faster in a vacuum. Either way I somewhat doubt a vacuum would make a difference being that neutrinos tend to not interact with its surroundings therefore having little influence.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    I don't see the problem with the possibility of a particle faster than light.

:/ there is always a possibility that something new is discovered, maybe this is it.