Thread: NASM or MASM?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted

NASM or MASM?

I'm going to start learning some assembly, preferably 64-bit. If I use MASM, is it only good for Windows Development? Should I use NASM so that when I switch to NetBSD or something I can code with the same syntax? I know there are some assembly addicts on this site. Please give me l33t advice?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t7ancients View Post
    I'm going to start learning some assembly, preferably 64-bit. If I use MASM, is it only good for Windows Development? Should I use NASM so that when I switch to NetBSD or something I can code with the same syntax? I know there are some assembly addicts on this site. Please give me l33t advice?
    Well yeah, if you want more compatibility nasm is good for you , but if you know you will just be coding for windows then i totally prefer masm because i like the compiler from microsoft for it.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Quote Originally Posted by 2584562 View Post
    Well yeah, if you want more compatibility nasm is good for you , but if you know you will just be coding for windows then i totally prefer masm because i like the compiler from microsoft for it.
    I think I'm gonna stick with nasm, seems like a better idea for going to and from different OSes. See, I'm working on a 3D RPG where players run servers that are built into the client, 4 other players can connect making 5 man teams and there is an in-game lobby zone where you gather your players and then go do quests together in the game-world instance of whoever is hosting. I have the server written in C++, with a lot of assembly written in MASM and linked to it. I'm gonna have to port it to NASM and find a cross-platform compiler for C++ because I'm gonna try to make it run on NetBSD so I can run a better server. /phew