Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool

Question for atheists

Kind of brain-hurting for me once I came up with the question...

So, if there was no afterlife, what's the point in enjoying life if when you die you'll not be able to remember that? You can enjoy all you want, but when it dissapears, what's the point of it? You're dead and you can't like remember how good it was while you were alive or something. Some say the point in life is to leave something by what other generations will remember you, but I still don't understand what's the point of it for you if after death comes eternal blackness?

PS (again directed to atheists) Are you like 100% pessimistic about afterlife or do you still live by a hope there is something after?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Nihilism is the way to go. Lacking an objective meaning or goal in life doesn't mean one cannot find a subjective meaning or goal within life. Also knowing the fact that there is no afterlife often makes you value your life more.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Alen For This Useful Post:

Lehsyrus (12-01-2011)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alen View Post
    Nihilism is the way to go. Lacking an objective meaning or goal in life doesn't mean one cannot find a subjective meaning or goal within life. Also knowing the fact that there is no afterlife often makes you value your life more.
    You believe in Nihilism? Alen I swear you're stalking me lol I didn't think anyone else on this forum would be able to understand Nihilism let alone someone else be a Nihilist themselves.
    I usually get called some nasty things when people find out I'm a Nihilist because they don't understand it, people think Nihilists believe everyone should die for some reason and that's not it at all /fp

Life isn't so much without meaning, as you must create your own meaning to life. Not everyone will understand the same meaning as everyone else, because there is no one meaning to life. If there was one meaning to life, that would be death, but that's not it because deaths meaning is to stop, where life's meaning is to push on and, well, live.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by Lehsyrus View Post
    You believe in Nihilism? Alen I swear you're stalking me lol I didn't think anyone else on this forum would be able to understand Nihilism let alone someone else be a Nihilist themselves.
    I usually get called some nasty things when people find out I'm a Nihilist because they don't understand it, people think Nihilists believe everyone should die for some reason and that's not it at all /fp
    tl;dr because I'm lazy: I doubt you know my view, although I've been fascinated with Nietzsche, Schopenhauer and Heidegger for quite a while. If anything I tend towards nihilism, yes, though the way you seem to see everything doesn't quite coincide with my own interpretation of both past works and my view.

Thanks
    tl;dr because I'm lazy: I doubt you know my view, although I've been fascinated with Nietzsche, Schopenhauer and Heidegger for quite a while. If anything I tend towards nihilism, yes, though the way you seem to see everything doesn't quite coincide with my own interpretation of both past works and my view.
    My view on Nihilism is a slight twist to the actual belief, I believe that the meaning of life is different for each person, but on another note I also have the belief that the Earth would be a much better place if Humans were never a factor. So in a sense my belief is a doppelganger. My own belief doesn't really fit in with Nihilism but at the same time I do believe that people need to find their own meaning to life. It's harder to explain over a forum board than in person.
    Last edited by Lehsyrus; 12-01-2011 at 03:41 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by Lehsyrus View Post
    My view on Nihilism is a slight twist to the actual belief, I believe that the meaning of life is different for each person, but on another note I also have the belief that the Earth would be a much better place if Humans were never a factor. So in a sense my belief is a doppelganger. My own belief doesn't really fit in with Nihilism but at the same time I do believe that people need to find their own meaning to life. It's harder to explain over a forum board than in person.
    How does subjective meaning within life contradict nihilistic views?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck v2 View Post
    Kind of brain-hurting for me once I came up with the question...

So, if there was no afterlife, what's the point in enjoying life if when you die you'll not be able to remember that? You can enjoy all you want, but when it dissapears, what's the point of it? You're dead and you can't like remember how good it was while you were alive or something. Some say the point in life is to leave something by what other generations will remember you, but I still don't understand what's the point of it for you if after death comes eternal blackness?

PS (again directed to atheists) Are you like 100% pessimistic about afterlife or do you still live by a hope there is something after?
    The meaning of life is to reproduce
    no logic in an afterlife

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by Poison View Post
    The meaning of life is to reproduce
    no logic in an afterlife
    I can predict that you will lead a life of great disappointment. I sincerely doubt you'll find many mates that would agree with you.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Alen For This Useful Post:

Lehsyrus (12-01-2011)

Thanks
    I can predict that you will lead a life of great disappointment. I sincerely doubt you'll find many mates that would agree with you.
    well im being scientific about this

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by Poison View Post

well im being scientific about this
    Thats not science?

The meaning of life is to live. ?_? Whats all this bs that god gave you a meaning in life lulz.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post

Thats not science?

The meaning of life is to live. ?_? Whats all this bs that god gave you a meaning in life lulz.
    it is scientific your born to pass on your genes to the next generation(reproduce)
    pure biology

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Im not exactly an athiest, but I don't follow a religion.
    My belief(Saw this on a tv show and it is scientifically proven.I'm going to sound like a dumbass.)
    Thc is released from your brain when you die, so what you see when you die
    is basically just a giant acid trip, or what people may call heaven.
    FUCK STEVE HARVEY!!!!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    If there is an afterlife, there's no real point in thinking about it because we wouldn't be able to comprehend it anyways. Just live life to the best of your ability and you will be fine.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by nb109 View Post
    If there is an afterlife, there's no real point in thinking about it because we wouldn't be able to comprehend it anyways. Just live life to the best of your ability and you will be fine.
    I'm pretty sure the traditional view on afterlife is pretty easy to relate to our normal life, why wouldn't be able to comprehend it?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Bored
    i wonder what atheists yell out during sex...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast