Thread: Europe vs USA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I got ants in my butt, and I needs to strut.
    Premium Seller
    Former Staff
    Premium Member
    Trusted
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking

Europe vs USA

This is another installment of a series called America, to discuss why the US is so often at odds with the rest of the world. Both Europe and the United States have a large economy, political stability and strong military might. What differs is the lifestyle and politics in these two demographic regions. Here follows a brief comparison of living standards in Europe and USA on the basis of healthcare, multiculturalism, education and media awareness.

Healthcare - In the United States it is common for a hospital to refuse to treat a critically ill patient if they are not insured or are not US citizens. In Europe such a concept is considered ancient and uncivilised. In the US, doctors sometimes refuse to treat or prescribe the right options to a patient if the doctor’s religious beliefs go against what is medically best for the patient. It happens most often in cases of abortion, birth control and treating homosexuals where the doctors’ medical ethics conflict with their religious beliefs. Such an act in Europe would lead to cancellation of a doctor’s license to practice for violation of the Hippocratic Oath.

Diversity - United States, despite petty internal political differences is very uniform and homogeneous to an outsider. The culture (or lack of it) is same, the food is same, the language is same and the arts and style are similar. In Europe language, art, food, culture and politics are widely varied which might be overwhelming for an outsider but makes things interesting. A person visiting Scotland on a pleasure trip won’t feel like he could have done visiting England while a person visiting New Jersey and Virginia as a tourist would almost feel both are same states (except the differences in street crimes).

Education - The quality of public education in United States is much lower than that of Europe, in fact it is lower than many developing third world countries. US High School students are much less aware of the world history and politics, have lower mathematical and scientific skills, possess lower reasoning and judgement capabilities than European students of the same age. Universities are prohibitively expensive, the better the university, the more expensive it is. Students are often immersed on a lifelong burden of debt or get wiped out of all savings for an average college degree which costs a fraction in European countries or is free as in case of countries like Germany.

Media and News - The media in United States is very short sighted and excludes the rest of the world which it considers as an amusement park. The political and cultural news about the world is often negatively biased from an American point of view to suit ‘Americanised’ tastes. Sex and sexuality is either commoditised in an obsessively unhealthy way or vilified, making it to look as a dirty and evil act. In contrast, political and cultural news in European media is much more worldly and inclusive. News media tend to present facts rather than biased opinions; sex and sexuality is shown in a positive and healthy light as compared to the US.

/Discuss.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecstasy View Post
    This is another installment of a series called America, to discuss why the US is so often at odds with the rest of the world. Both Europe and the United States have a large economy, political stability and strong military might. What differs is the lifestyle and politics in these two demographic regions. Here follows a brief comparison of living standards in Europe and USA on the basis of healthcare, multiculturalism, education and media awareness.

Healthcare - In the United States it is common for a hospital to refuse to treat a critically ill patient if they are not insured or are not US citizens. In Europe such a concept is considered ancient and uncivilised. In the US, doctors sometimes refuse to treat or prescribe the right options to a patient if the doctor’s religious beliefs go against what is medically best for the patient. It happens most often in cases of abortion, birth control and treating homosexuals where the doctors’ medical ethics conflict with their religious beliefs. Such an act in Europe would lead to cancellation of a doctor’s license to practice for violation of the Hippocratic Oath.

Diversity - United States, despite petty internal political differences is very uniform and homogeneous to an outsider. The culture (or lack of it) is same, the food is same, the language is same and the arts and style are similar. In Europe language, art, food, culture and politics are widely varied which might be overwhelming for an outsider but makes things interesting. A person visiting Scotland on a pleasure trip won’t feel like he could have done visiting England while a person visiting New Jersey and Virginia as a tourist would almost feel both are same states (except the differences in street crimes).

Education - The quality of public education in United States is much lower than that of Europe, in fact it is lower than many developing third world countries. US High School students are much less aware of the world history and politics, have lower mathematical and scientific skills, possess lower reasoning and judgement capabilities than European students of the same age. Universities are prohibitively expensive, the better the university, the more expensive it is. Students are often immersed on a lifelong burden of debt or get wiped out of all savings for an average college degree which costs a fraction in European countries or is free as in case of countries like Germany.

Media and News - The media in United States is very short sighted and excludes the rest of the world which it considers as an amusement park. The political and cultural news about the world is often negatively biased from an American point of view to suit ‘Americanised’ tastes. Sex and sexuality is either commoditised in an obsessively unhealthy way or vilified, making it to look as a dirty and evil act. In contrast, political and cultural news in European media is much more worldly and inclusive. News media tend to present facts rather than biased opinions; sex and sexuality is shown in a positive and healthy light as compared to the US.

/Discuss.
    Do you copy everything? What about coming up with your own argument, or ideas? Maybe find something to copy that hasn't already found it's way onto MPGH next time? Also, who ever wrote this is bias. There are several statments in here that are opinions, and not fact.

But umm, what is it you're trying to say? Try your own words this time.
    Last edited by RJ; 12-04-2011 at 12:07 PM.

END THE FED

Threadstarter
    Premium Seller
    Former Staff
    Premium Member
    Trusted
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    I actually read it all, just want to know mpgh opinions about it.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Ohh good, you can read. What's your opinion?... I assume if you posted this that you're pro-europe, and anti-america? In which case I'm going to have to teach you a few things about how we work, and in some ways depend on the other. Theres more them depending on us then us depending on them btw.
    Last edited by RJ; 12-04-2011 at 12:34 PM.

END THE FED

Threadstarter
    Premium Seller
    Former Staff
    Premium Member
    Trusted
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    I'm not anti-american, americas has places the economy is better then europe in my opinion.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    In my opinion, you have no idea what you're talking about.

END THE FED

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed
    Honestly speaking, I dislike the Americans because of their attitude! @RJ
    Last edited by Registration; 12-04-2011 at 01:39 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Quote Originally Posted by Registration View Post
    Honestly speaking, I dislike the Americans because of their attitude! @RJ
    You can't mention me idk why, but anyway nothing I'm saying isn't true. Just because it's your preception that I have an attitude doesn't change the validity of my statments.

Also, having an attitude is something human beings all have the abbility to do, so it isn't right to just say Americans have an attitude.
    Last edited by RJ; 12-04-2011 at 01:53 PM.

END THE FED

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    You can't mention me idk why, but anyway nothing I'm saying isn't true. Just because it's your preception that I have an attitude doesn't change the validity of my statments.

Also, having an attitude is something human beings all have the abbility to do, so it isn't right to just say Americans have an attitude.
    1. European healthcare is free for all including immigrants and tourists and it is of a very high quality.
    In the USA healthcare is expensive, many people get turned away from hospitals because they can’t afford it. And evin if you can afford it the quality is terrible anyway.

2.European education is also 100% free and of a very high quality and european students are always years ahead of American students in the same year. Plus EU students can all speak another two languages aswell as their mother tounge.

3. Lots of people in the US “DON’T” have homes to live in! In Europe housing has been free for 100 years if you can’t afford it, how stone aged are the Americans, If you don’t agree follow this link.https://www.worst-city.com/small-phot...of-Detroit.jpg

4.100% of roads in the EU are paved however in the US there are over 200,000km of unpaved roads.

personally consider the EU as one country ), offer benefits in different ways. But what makes me a little bit sad is that many (of course not all) people in the USA (i have lived there for one year) think that their nation is better than Europe or the rest of the world and when you ask them why they told me about things which are also common in Europe and sometimes even better. Many Americans don’t know how life in Europe is. They think it’s an old-fashioned continent with no perspectives. But that’s of course not true. If I would be an Alien and would analyze all the data (health care, criminal rates, obesity, diversity, taxes, laws,) from USA and EU than I would surely think that the USA is (in some aspects) the old-fashioned country where life can be as hard as in stoneage. But many americans don’t realize that. They see their flag and say: “God bless America!”.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    1. European healthcare is free for all including immigrants and tourists and it is of a very high quality.
    In the USA healthcare is expensive, many people get turned away from hospitals because they can’t afford it. And evin if you can afford it the quality is terrible anyway.

2.European education is also 100% free and of a very high quality and european students are always years ahead of American students in the same year. Plus EU students can all speak another two languages aswell as their mother tounge.

3. Lots of people in the US “DON’T” have homes to live in! In Europe housing has been free for 100 years if you can’t afford it, how stone aged are the Americans, If you don’t agree follow this link.https://www.worst-city.com/small-phot...of-Detroit.jpg

4.100% of roads in the EU are paved however in the US there are over 200,000km of unpaved roads.

personally consider the EU as one country ), offer benefits in different ways. But what makes me a little bit sad is that many (of course not all) people in the USA (i have lived there for one year) think that their nation is better than Europe or the rest of the world and when you ask them why they told me about things which are also common in Europe and sometimes even better. Many Americans don’t know how life in Europe is. They think it’s an old-fashioned continent with no perspectives. But that’s of course not true. If I would be an Alien and would analyze all the data (health care, criminal rates, obesity, diversity, taxes, laws,) from USA and EU than I would surely think that the USA is (in some aspects) the old-fashioned country where life can be as hard as in stoneage. But many americans don’t realize that. They see their flag and say: “God bless America!”.
    Socialized health care, and the quality of EUs health care is debatable.
    If you want to promise citizens a national or state program of universal insurance coverage, don't expect that you will be able to deliver universal access to high-quality health care. You won't and you can't (look at Britain).
    If you want to fix prices for medical services, prescription drugs, or other medical devices, don't expect demand for these goods and services to be met or investment in research and development to continue apace. It won't (look anywhere).
    If you insist, with a straight face, that in a government-run health care system, all of your fellow citizens will be treated equally -- regardless of their class, station in life, or disease condition -- you are not merely enthusiastic or well intentioned. You are lying.
    However, I'm in no way saying our system is perfect, but more goverment isn't the answer to this.

Education? Yeah we've got an issue with our system there also, but MORE goverment isn't the answer there also. Your education isnt free either. It's paid for by taxing the people, and if a goverment is involved with it, it is always attached to strings ei: their abbility to tell us what can or can't be taught.

But, it isn't difficult to get into a college in America. I know this because I have several friends now attending that do not have any money and a GED.

Roads? Look at the size of EU, and then look at America. It's not like we're having ANY difficulty getting from place to place, so moot point?

Also the assumption that Americans are clueless to the situations in our goverment can be made aginst any culture or nation.
    Last edited by RJ; 12-04-2011 at 02:24 PM.

END THE FED

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed
    Socialized health care, and the quality of EUs health care is debatable.

However, I'm in no way saying our system is perfect, but more goverment isn't the answer to this.

Education? Yeah we've got an issue with our system there also, but MORE goverment isn't the answer there also. Your education isnt free either. It's paid for by taxing the people, and if a goverment is involved with it, it is always attached to strings ei: their abbility to tell us what can or can't be taught.

But, it isn't difficult to get into a college in America. I know this because I have several friends now attending that do not have any money and a GED.

Roads? Look at the size of EU, and then look at America. It's not like we're having ANY difficulty getting from place to place, so moot point?

Also the assumption that Americans are clueless to the situations in our goverment can be made aginst any culture or nation.
    I have visited the States several times, and frankly, I am not attracted at all in living there.

First and foremost, I do not like the American mentality that put materialism at the forefront of everything. I found America to be a cultural desert, and on that subject way down the line compared to Europe and Russia.

One of my sons even went to live in America for a while, head-hunted by a Californian company after he finished his second university here in England. He spent 4 years in the USA, and decided to abandon a well-paid job to move back to Europe. He never liked the American way of life and never befriended Americans. Several of his acquaintances also came back from the States after a while.

Americans are obsessed by wealth and appearances, and forget completely quality of life (which they equate with the size of their bank account). As for the country itself, I found it so brash and superficial in every sphere of their lives, that I wouldn’t even consider spending long time there. I think it’s because life in the States is so superficial that many people resort to religion to fill the void in their life. There is also a lack of knowledge of the outside world which is gripping. It could also be a factor behind the high divorce rates, single parenthood and violent crimes.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    I have visited the States several times, and frankly, I am not attracted at all in living there.

First and foremost, I do not like the American mentality that put materialism at the forefront of everything. I found America to be a cultural desert, and on that subject way down the line compared to Europe and Russia.

One of my sons even went to live in America for a while, head-hunted by a Californian company after he finished his second university here in England. He spent 4 years in the USA, and decided to abandon a well-paid job to move back to Europe. He never liked the American way of life and never befriended Americans. Several of his acquaintances also came back from the States after a while.

Americans are obsessed by wealth and appearances, and forget completely quality of life (which they equate with the size of their bank account). As for the country itself, I found it so brash and superficial in every sphere of their lives, that I wouldn’t even consider spending long time there. I think it’s because life in the States is so superficial that many people resort to religion to fill the void in their life. There is also a lack of knowledge of the outside world which is gripping. It could also be a factor behind the high divorce rates, single parenthood and violent crimes.

Everyone likes where they live/grew up. If an American went to Europe he wouldn't like it either. Indians like India, Chinese people like China, that's just how it goes. And Europe isn't exactly homogeneous, Eastern Europeans are heavily biased against Western Europeans and Northern Europeans would say literally everything you just said about Southern Europe.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted

Not all Americans are materalistic. America has it's own culture. Just because it's different, and far less old then European culture doesn't make it "better" or "worse". That's all opinion... like most of what you're saying.

Americans all have access to all the same information you do, so there isn't anything to suggest one can't learn anything about the world "outside" if they choose to.

Have you maybe thought that he (your son) wasn't befriended, instead of him denying friendship? Maybe he's socially awkard? In any rate it doesn't help or disprove anything being debated here.

You know what's wrong here? Instead of you debating the the differences in foreign policy, or monitary value, or... anything that's actually importaint, like let's say WAR? You want to sit and talk about what people do with their social life.

But hey, in a country as free as ours, one is free to sit and vegitate if they choose. It's not our, or anyone elses place to tell them what they should be doing with their life. If we are only free to make the right decisions, we are not truely free.
    Last edited by RJ; 12-04-2011 at 02:49 PM.

END THE FED

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed
    Not all Americans are materalistic. America has it's own culture. Just because it's different, and far less old then European culture doesn't make it "better" or "worse". That's all opinion... like most of what you're saying.

Americans all have access to all the same information you do, so there isn't anything to suggest one can't learn anything about the world "outside" if they choose to.

Have you maybe thought that he (your son) wasn't befriended, instead of him denying friendship? Maybe he's socially awkard? In any rate it doesn't help or disprove anything being debated here.

You know what's wrong here? Instead of you debating the the differences in foreign policy, or monitary value, or... anything that's actually importaint, like let's say WAR? You want to sit and talk about what people do with their social life.

But hey, in a country as free as ours, one is free to sit and vegitate if they choose. It's not our, or anyone elses place to tell them what they should be doing with their life. If we are only free to make the right decisions, we are not truely free.

A lot of Americans are extremely ignorant and lack a great common sense when it comes to….err well….everything! They don’t know much about the outside world that exists, honestly most don’t even know about the history of America itself. They just have this belief that America is the best country ever, which is driven from the media. The media has brainwashed Americans. It is so disheartening tome when I turn on the news channel and they are talking about Paris Hiltons new boy toy, or the Academy awards as if it is something that actually has a meaning. They never show anything that is worthwhile, anything of substance. And I have a strong feeling that this is actually done on purpose. To keep the American people ignorant and focused on nonsense, while the government does its dirty tricks behind closed doors. It is a country for the elitist. The media is owned by the few and elites, government officials, congressmen and women and senators and even presidents are elected by the elites, therefore the country on its own is run by the elites. They put on bogus news that make every other country look as if it is hell on earth, so the citizens can continue to think they have the best of everything. That they are “free”, when in reality they are actually mentally colonized. Their views and ways of thinking are shaped by what is shown to them, very few actually have the courage and the commonsense to go outside of what is presented to them to find out what is real. American people always brag about their human right records and about their “democracy”. Well if you have a wee bit of common sense you would know that democracy is actually not real!! You would like to think you elected your president huh??? And as for the human rights record, really??? The U.S. is in fact a dictatorship, you just don’t now it yet!! How about the U.S worry about its own business and states affairs before it meddles in other countries business. Why not spend more money on the people that are dying every day from lack of healthcare and poverty, how about spending a little more time and thinking about what is being done to Black people, the fact that there are more black men in prison that in a higher education? How about young black women being used as lab rats to test out birth control?? Or how pregnant black women are being discriminated from receiving any aid…..because they are black and pregnant? How about Native Americans going extinct?? How they were kept excluded and denied from practicing their culture and speaking their language?? How about Native Americans having to renounce their roots and heritage in order to become “citizens”, even though clearly they were here before anyone else. How about those Muslim women that are made fun of and discriminated against and prevented from wearing their hijab to school?? How about those black children living in the most poorest sides of this country, who have a better access to a gun and knife that fruits and vegetables?? Or those poor children who are unable to go to a half way decent school because of where they live?? How about those that are forced to sell drugs so they can feed their family because they don’t have any other options? Or those that dies chasing the unattainable “American dream”?? Just to name a few! This my friend has probably got to be the WORST human right record, however, many overlook this because after all hey its America.

Someone stated that “the EU have 25 countries and all have 25 views” and that they are not united, while “All 50 states of the U.S are united ” and therefore have progressed. Actually I feel that they 25 different opinions are all the best for the EU, people with different views and input, that’s what makes a union even greater. The fact that you think the U.S. is united is even just sad to me. The U.S suffers from such thing called “groupthink”-going along to get along. Most government officials who have something different to say get “let go”-fired. And need I remind you that this country was built on the backs of SLAVES, NATIVE AMERICANS, LATINOS and do you realize that the immigrants are the backbone of this country?!?!?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Well, I'm basically a common American, and I'm very well read on a lot of these things that you're saying I am "extreemly ignorant" about, so you assumption that we don't know these unstated facts is basically unfounded and can not be proven, so just drop the idea that you can successfully debate this issue (Well it's not really an issue, more of a hypothetical difference) in your favor.

America is the most powerful and influential nation on Earth, period. In my opinion that makes us the best, but opinions are opinions.

You think that "I have a strong feeling that this is actually done on purpose. To keep the American people ignorant and focused on nonsense"... Well, the thing is, I want to debate foreign policy, and you're stuck on superficial issues like "Americans are uncultured jerks blurrblahhbloo". Seems like you're the one that's stuck on the nonsense...

You go on to try and point out minority youth being disadvantaged... I'd like to remind you that there are PLEANTY of white people in the same situation, but they are all afforded oppertunity in America to succed. I was poor as a kid. I was very poor actually... but never starved or denied education or the abbility to gain a scolarship to go to college(which I did even though I dropped out). People always have options... Although i do admit that due to our current economic situation unemployment is pretty high, but we are working on solutions. no one is starving denied medical attention or education in America

And yes... ofcourse I am aware of American history, but don't sit on a high horse. WOuld you like me to point out some of the horrid things europien nations have done over the years? ROFL, don't get me started...
    Last edited by RJ; 12-04-2011 at 03:27 PM.

END THE FED

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast