Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed

Post Philosopher 2: Friedrich Schleiermacher

Friedrich Schleiermacher (1768 – 1834) was a German theologian and philosopher born in 1768 in Breslau, Lower Silesia. His father was a minister in a reformed protestant church. He was educated at the University of Halle from where he studied theology and other independent courses. After completing his course, he became a private tutor and two years later (1796) he became a minister. During his time at the university, he studied the philosophies of Aristotle, Plato and Immanuel Kant. He denied Orthodox Christianity and is often known as ‘Father of modern Protestant Theology’.
    Schleiermacher studied Kant and accepted the ethical terms but rejected Kant’s deep e***asis on universal laws of morality. He argued that religion was not a philosophy, nor natural science but rather the feeling, belief and action. It is the feeling that God exists as opposed to the rational thought. The knowledge of soul and the knowledge of God are inseparable and thus Religion is more subjective i.e. individual (one’s personal experience). He said that in order to have this feeling, one has to look into the soul or consciousness after which one discovers the feeling for the unity of multiple things. For him religion is primarily neither morality nor belief or knowledge but an immediate self-consciousness or feeling of absolute dependence on God. He believed that Christianity (Protestant) is the specific form of consciousness shaped through Jesus Christ and the faith in him whereas the church is foundation to the experience of God.
    He was influenced by Baruch Spinoza a pantheistic philosopher and said that Religion is a sense and taste for the infinite (the underlying unity or wholeness), not already present in the senses but rather reveals itself to feeling. And this feeling creates the idea of God in the individual and further imagination creates the concept of God as either a theistic supreme being outside the world or the pantheistic (many things of existence are really one God) to which personal characteristics are not defined i.e. comes close to mystical experience but does not identify the world as "infinite and eternal." And hence for him, religion is centered on feeling and God is the feeling of absolute dependence.
    Last edited by hbk; 05-09-2010 at 09:13 PM.
    Fate Rarely Calls Upon Us at a Moment of Our Choosing

[img]https://i981.photobucke*****m/albums/ae291/hbktminc/untitled2-1-1.jpg[/img]
    Join the HeartBreak ARMY: https://www.mpgh.net/forum/groups/heart_break_army.html

I'm a Muslim, What are You?
    Trademark Inc.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheeky
    I find it very interesting that gods are constantly being marginalized. God's are being squeezed into the corner under the shadow of faith, ultimately this is encouraging. Perhaps one day this belief in deities will fade away and the human race can work on all the other irrational beliefs. Maybe after god we'll deal with homeopathy, astrology and ufology.
    Last edited by Paroxysm; 05-10-2010 at 07:23 PM.
    "We swallow greedily any lie that flatters us, but we sip only little by little at a truth we find bitter." ~ Denis Diderot

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by Paroxysm View Post
    I find it very interesting that gods are constantly being marginalized. God's are being squeezed into the corner under the shadow of faith, ultimately this is encouraging. Perhaps one day this belief in deities will fade away and the human race can work on all the other irrational beliefs. Maybe after god we'll deal with homeopathy, astrology and ufology.
    My biggest question is: Why do you think peace is going to come after religion "falls"?

You also don't know about irrational beliefs lol, you think the perception of faith to you(who's an atheist) just might differ from a person who believes in said religion?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheeky
    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post

My biggest question is: Why do you think peace is going to come after religion "falls"?

You also don't know about irrational beliefs lol, you think the perception of faith to you(who's an atheist) just might differ from a person who believes in said religion?
    I never said the world would be a more peaceful place with the fall of religious belief. We'd definitely avoid all the issues that are caused by religious belief, which would be a nice change. People can hold whatever beliefs they wish, my goal isn't to remove all belief. But once your beliefs start affecting the lives of others, once your beliefs begin to jeopardize their physical or psychological well-being then one has to justify their actions. If one cites religious belief as a justification they had better be willing to provide evidence that their religious belief is sound.
    Last edited by Paroxysm; 05-11-2010 at 09:24 AM.
    "We swallow greedily any lie that flatters us, but we sip only little by little at a truth we find bitter." ~ Denis Diderot