Thread: DNS filtering

Thanks
    My Mood
    Busy

DNS filtering

What's DNS filtering? I just need a simple definition.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    'A picture is worth a thousand words'

[IMG]https://static.arstechnic*****m/proIPdnschart.jpg[/IMG]

MSN: woutervvelsen@live.nl
    Timezone: GMT +1

Middleman since: April 13th, 2011
    Marketplace minion since: April 18th, 2011
    Runescape minion since: June 6th, 2011
    Moderator since: September 28th, 2011
    General Moderator since: November 2nd, 2011
    Global Moderator since: April 29th, 2012
    Super User since: November 1st, 2013

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    You guys are fucking useless. Each website has an IP address, or rather, the IP address of the server. DNS stands for Domain Name System. DNS servers act like phonebooks, so instead of typing in the website's IP address, you type in its name. This request gets routed to ISP's DNS server, which retrieves the website's IP that is correlated to the name you searched, and routes you to this website. DNS blocking removes the website's name from the DNS server, so there is no known IP associated with your query. So when you search the website, you just get a blank screen. This can be bypassed by directly typing in the website's name, or using proxy.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    You guys are fucking useless. Each website has an IP address, or rather, the IP address of the server. DNS stands for Domain Name System. DNS servers act like phonebooks, so instead of typing in the website's IP address, you type in its name. This request gets routed to ISP's DNS server, which retrieves the website's IP that is correlated to the name you searched, and routes you to this website. DNS blocking removes the website's name from the DNS server, so there is no known IP associated with your query. So when you search the website, you just get a blank screen. This can be bypassed by directly typing in the website's name, or using proxy.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Something like that, though that's far oversimplified. Also if this is in regards to SOPA / PIPA, it's also not that easy to perform, seeing as the filtering tech they want ISPs to use isn't fully compatible with what most ISPs are using right now If we're talking about registrars' ability to edit dns records ... well yeah, easy as fuck.

Thanks
    DNS blocking or filtering is a common method of denying access to certain websites. Let’s have a look at how it works.

Each website is hosted on a web server that has a IP address. For example, the IP address for Facebook is 69.63.189.16. If you type those numbers in your web browser, you will arrive at Facebook’s website. Try it – Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More.

However, IP addresses are not very user friendly. It’s easier to remember facebook.com than 69.63.189.16 isn’t it? Therefore the inventors of the internet also created a phone book called the Domain Name System, or DNS.

The DNS translates domain names into IP addresses so that you don’t have to remember random strings of numbers. Each ISP (e.g. Streamyx, P1, etc) have their own DNS servers that functions as phone books for their subscribers.

Whenever you type a website address into your browser, your browser first asks the ISP’s phone book what the IP address for that website. Once it’s figured out the IP address it will then load the website for you.

With DNS blocking, the ISP is simply removing the record for the blocked websites from their phone book. So when you try to load one of the blocked websites, all you get is a blank screen in your browser because it doesn’t know what the IP address is.

More Information: What is a DNS block and 3 ways to get around it » adventures of a blogjunkie