Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive

What was your favorite Anime/Manga ending?

Some of the best stories have atrocious ends that ruin the entire experience. In contrast, some mediocre stories have outstanding closings.

What's your favorite ending from an Anime or Manga? (Please use spoilers if talking about specifics, I don't want to ruin stories for people...)

My favorite ending would be from Pretty Face. The manga wasn't great, in fact it was quite average. However, the ending pulled the story together so nicely it's earned a spot in my 'All Time Favorites' list. Instead of leaving loose ends, killing off all the characters for little reason, or having a cheesily happy ending, Pretty Face gave me a taste of what may happen in the future and then reverts to a similar situation which the plot was based around. However, it does it with a sense of fulfillment. There are legitimate reasons behind what happens. Major props to Yasuhiro Kano! (Read the spoiler if you want to read specifics of why the end was outstanding)

The main character, Rando has been living as the twin of the girl he loves because of an accident that left his face in need of facial surgery. He had been carrying a picture of the girl he liked in his pocket, which was then used to reconstruct his face. He was then mistaken for her twin (who had ran off a while back). In the final chapters of the manga, after living with her for a while (pretending to have amnesia), he finally had the opportunity to get his original face back. At the same time, the twin who he was posing as returned. He got his face back and the twin took her place in the family she had left (after conflicts with Rando as she discovered he was posing as her). Rando was able to then go to the girl he had been living with (the one he liked) and told her his feelings which she then reciprocated. However, he realized that he felt empty and missed the life he had while he was her 'twin' as it was much more enjoyable than what he had been living before the accident. He went back to the surgeon and met Yuna, the missing twin, who then explained to him that she had to go back to her school but she didn't want her sister to be lonely like she was before Rando started living (as Yuna) with her. Yuna asks him to pose as her until she can finally return for good. He accepts and finds out that the face that had been returned to him was really a well done mask (read it to understand). It ends with him walking (posing as Yuna again) alongside the other twin.

Pretty Face begins with the main protagonist Masashi Rando, a high school student and karate expert who harbors an unrealized love for a fellow student, Rina Kurimi. One day, while returning home from a karate tournament in Hokkaidō, he is involved in a tragic school bus accident and is burned beyond recognition. One year later, Masashi awakes from a coma to find that he has been in the care of a talented (yet slightly deranged) surgeon named Jun Manabe. Masashi finds out his disfigured face had been reconstructed in the image of the girl he has a crush on. Not knowing what Masashi originally looked like, Dr. Manabe had used a photo in Masashi's pocket as the model for his reconstructive surgery.

Afterward, Masashi finds out that during his year long coma, he was mistakenly pronounced deceased, his parents moved away, and even his house was demolished. Once he has realized his old life is now gone, he breaks down on the sidewalk in front of the empty lot that was his former household. On his way back to Manabe's clinic, he runs into Rina by chance, and is mistaken for her missing twin sister, Yuna. After Rina takes him back to her house and presents him as Yuna, he lies about having amnesia in order not to arouse any sudden suspicions. Masashi wants Jun to change his face back to the way it was but has no picture of himself to help. He does get a picture of himself eventually but later, after seeing how much pain Rina experienced during the time her sister was gone, Masashi decides to impersonate Yuna for the time being until he can find the real Yuna and bring her back to the Kurimi family.

During this time, the story line chronicles various adventures that Masashi experiences through his new lifestyle with the Kurimi family while he searches for Yuna. Much of these stories include events in which Masashi's identity as a man comes close to exposure, however usually ending in him retaining his secret. Such adventures include being stuck in a hot spring bath with four girls, a health inspection, and various other activities. Most of these humorous adventures involve Rina's close friends, Yukie Sano, Keiko Tsukamato, and Midori Akai. As Masashi impersonates Yuna, he meets a number of reappearing characters such as Yuna's cousin Miwa Masuko, who for a period of time becomes suspicious of Masashi (impersonating Yuna) and threatens his new lifestyle for a while. However, realizing that the new Yuna shares the same compassion towards Rina as the previous one, she dismisses her suspicions and assumes that it is the same Yuna.

Another character that appears during Masashi's new lifestyle is Nozomi Ueda, a first year who shows interest in Masashi (impersonating Yuna). Nozomi is a strong girl who is very talented in kendo, and becomes attracted to Yuna (Masashi) because of his strength. Although never said directly, Nozomi is a lesbian who states numerous times that she does not like boys. Eventually, Masashi comes across Natsuo Kobayashi, a girl who met Masashi before and fell in love with him before his assumed death. As time passes, Natsuo finds out Yuna is actually Masashi. However, because of her love towards him, she keeps his identity a secret and helps Masashi out in numerous situations, hoping to win his love.

Throughout the story, Masashi's overall goal is to find the real Yuna and convince her to come back home so he can return to his real identity. His quest leads him to Otaru where he believed that the real Yuna would be since he found out that she had worked at a hair salon there. As he discovers to his dismay, she no longer resides there since the salon had been shut down. This trip to Otaru gives Masashi more of an idea of what Yuna is like, though does not help him find out where she is now.

Near the end of the manga, Yuna returns to her home. Meeting up with Masashi (still with Yuna's face), she discovers that he had impersonated her, and she initially becomes disgusted and horrified. However, after reading Masashi's diaries, she realizes how much he has cared for Rina and keeps his secret. Seeing Masashi's love for Rina, she entrusts him to continue impersonating her as she finishes her studies as a beautician. As the series ends, Masashi continues his life as Yuna Kurimi until the real Yuna finishes her studies.
    Last edited by Shakugan no Shana; 02-08-2012 at 08:53 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    *** this thread is obviously spoilerific***

Overall: Eden Its an Endless world.

It ended with more than i could ask. Everything was resolved for the most part. There was no continuation or plotholes that i could find. Thats the NUMBER ONE thing i like in good endings. I don't have plotholes out the ass, i have nothing like "the main bad guy is still alive", or any other bs. People died, people lived. I actually was not rooting for anyone to die in this series and thats pretty amazing considering i have a habit of just picking the people i expect to die for plot to move on.

Best Romance:

Suzuka: most realistic and reasonable. Its not even funny how many romance manga/anime end in "oh they kissed", thanks for wasting my time. This one didn't waste my time.

Best action:

Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer.

Ended way above my expectations with realistic action all the way. Which for shonen, BLEW MY FUCKING MIND.

Kekkaishi:
    -Waaaaay underrated for well it ended.

or

Samurai Deeper Kyo.

Dear god did this series go far from its origins. Overrall i was extremely happy with the ending and the epilogue the author provided. Which for almost ANY series is not provided.

Best Classic:

Cowboy bebop: "Bang" enough said. The show was amazing every episode and the ending blew my fucking mind as a kid.

or

Rurouni Kenshin: Relating the end opponent to Samurai X is pure win. Its something i hardly see that a series goes back to its roots. Thats why i really like eden's ending the most, but also why i love ruro ken's. Not only is this manga probably the #1 stereotypical shonen, its got probably the longest run time outside of SDK for the content provided. Making my reading it that much more enjoyable per volume.
    Last edited by Empire; 02-08-2012 at 11:47 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    I loved Biscuit Hammer's ending as well, probably number 2 for me.

Im currently reading Kenshin, Kekk, and Eden so I'll look forward to the ends.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    I like Eden Its an Endless world
    Smooth, resolved ending.
    "You said 'I love you', and I said too.
    The only difference is, I didn't lie to you."

Successful Trades: 204
    Middle Man'd: 67
    BLACKLIST:
    Stevie9090, ProHackTB, combatarms1993, sp33dkill3r,
    Markalot, Yomo710, -Nice-, kernie891
    /Add me on MSN \: x7sinsx@live.com

Thanks
    My Mood
    Dead
    favorite Anime/Manga ending ?

umm....
    the one where the main character or any of the supporting character just didn't die in the last / last 5 episode(s).

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by Gourav2122 View Post
    favorite Anime/Manga ending ?

umm....
    the one where the main character or any of the supporting character just didn't die in the last / last 5 episode(s).
    So.............i take it you liked Evangelion's ending lol.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Brooding
    NAAAAARUUUTOOOOO no kidding
    Kappa Keepo Kappa-ke-peepo

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by x3noob View Post
    NAAAAARUUUTOOOOO no kidding
    GTFO>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Empire For This Useful Post:

Shakugan no Shana (02-23-2012)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    *spoilers*

I really liked Toradora's ending! I such sweet and tragic (when Taiga left!) and good (when she came back)!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarinthesky View Post
    *spoilers*

I really liked Toradora's ending! I such sweet and tragic (when Taiga left!) and good (when she came back)!
    You know she gets pregnant right? The psp versions ending lol

Thanks
    My Mood
    Brooding
    MANGA:
    Akumestsu's Ending.

ANIME:
    Code Geass's Ending
    Last edited by Jacket; 02-27-2012 at 07:31 PM.

Ex-Minion
    Ex-Mod
    8/17/11

Greycloak
    Midcent
    MrAntagonist
    WomboCombo
    JakeyXD
    Wolfram

Thanks
    My Mood
    Bored
    +1 For Eden Its an Endless world.

Nice Ending

Thanks
    My Mood
    Devilish
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
    [ANIME:
    Code Geass's Ending
    +1 For Code Geass's Ending.
    Best Ending evar

Thanks
    Baka To Test To Shoukanjuu, to be honest.. Most of you will think 'What, why that one?', but I just love the style.

_______
    Pops

Thanks
    My Mood
    Asleep
    The favorite?It's hard to say.
    Maybe 狼と香辛料.Very nice anime.