Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Stressed

Cool My first PC to be built from scratch...

Just a note: Hey Alen ^.^ i remember asking you a GFX card question like when you had 19k posts ;o

Aaaaanyways. I'm very tempted to build my own pc and like i know the basics [so consider me intermediate?] of the whole pc structure but i just get confused like dimensions, cables ect...

So, im wondering if all my parts that i /might/ buy will fit and are compatible... because you know, i dont want to buy things that my motherboard cant take ect...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/registry/wishlist/10PJ028MQZ5S3

^^ my wishlist which is all the products i've gathered so far.

Just a side note: I'll play a varaiety of games e.g Minecraft and more GFX demanding games but i just want the core games to be at a high fps e.g Minecraft ofc, COD 4/6, TF2, you know... the popular games i guess?

So please tell me if i have any gaps, and compatiability issues, and thing else i need to buy, things i should change...

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Oh and my budget is like maybe £400/£500-£700 ~ though my dad is like looking for the £500 area :/ [asian parents ;p]
    Last edited by FangedBeast; 02-26-2012 at 09:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irie View Post

It's funny how everyone comes to MPGH with their problems

Fuck her and get it over with..
    Press that 'Thanks' button below this if I helped you in my post

Thanks
    You could get a quad core if gaming is your main priority. Most games utilize 2 cores. The FX4100 is a good budget CPU so you could take a look at that.

Get an AM3+ motherboard for future-proofness
    ASROCK 990FX EXTREME 3 AM3+ AMD 990FX ATX 4 D3 2100 GLAN USB 3.0 ESATA: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Get a 6870 instead of a 6850
    Sapphire 11179-09-20G HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 Graphics Card: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

You need dual channel RAM
    G-Skill 4GB Ripjaws X DDR3 1333 Dual Kit - Red: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Get a modular power supply
    Antec TP-550 True Power 550W ATX12V PSU: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

You don't need to buy extra thermal paste. The stock cooler will come with some. But I recommend you buy this cooler if you are overclocking. This cooler will come with a little bit of thermal paste
    COOLER MASTER RR-212E-16PK-R1 Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler (EU Version): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
    Last edited by Bengali; 02-26-2012 at 10:24 AM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    > AMD HD 6850
    Pretty good choice, it can be partially unlocked to the 6870, rendering the 6870 a waste of money (minimal performance difference for a pretty noticeable price difference)
    > DVD drive
    Redundant, you can install any OS from a usb key (both Windows and most Linux distros have extremely simple programs to help you do that - wouldn't know much about Mac's stuff). I assume most games can be acquired online too (Steam or other game CDNs)
    > 4GB 1333MHz CL9 ram
    Meh, extremely budget but would do the job. If nothing else it leaves space for improvement.
    > extra fans
    Don't get them at this point, just a blatant waste of money. The stock fans should suffice.
    > Antec 300
    Decent cheap case, though you can probably get the better Bitfenix Shinobi for about the same price.
    > 600W Corsair psu
    Nothing especially good or bad about it, should work just fine.
    > thermal paste
    Same goes for the thermal paste as for the fans - at this point you don't need it, the stuff that comes pre-applied on the stock heatsink should suffice.
    > WD Caviar Blue
    A really big "meh" here, but seeing as it's a budget build it's not too bad. It should work just fine, but definitely could be improved later on (perhaps a Spinpoint F3 or a Caviar Black would be a better, but costlier, alternative)
    > Phenom II X6 1045T
    Not worth it, an X4 955 should be more than enough and will let you spare some money for other components.

If you want to save even more money you could consider getting the older HD 5770 instead of the 6850 (it even has slightly better performance afaik), but if you manage to cut down the costs enough by losing the extra fans etc. I would try to grab a 6950, it's a huge leap from a 6850. Perhaps even a 560 Ti from Nvidia As for the mobo I wouldn't go for a 890GX chipset, I really recommend you try finding a more budget-y 990x solution. Perhaps something from MSI or Asrock, seeing as Asus has pretty high prices.

Regarding what Bengali said - you don't need dual channel ram, you can run with one ram stick just fine. His suggestion to get a 990fx mobo is based pretty much on the same reasons I recommend a 990x mobo - it's newer and supports newer stuff too. However the 990fx, as opposed to the 990x, is a higher-end chipset and costs more but does not offer any important benefits for a build such as yours. Ergo 990x is the better solution imo. Already mentioned the 6870 being a waste of money, modular psus may help with cable management but that is of far less concern than saving money for good components. And I doubt you'll be doing much OCing, the stock cooler should work just fine for the time being.

Personally I would not recommend opting for AMD at this point, especially since they're moving out of the desktop market and their last gen of CPUs was a complete failure, but Intel has its own downside, which can be most noticeable when you look at the price

Thanks
    ^^
    The 955 costs about the same as the 1045t on the amazon site. OP may want to look into other sites to get a quad core. Ebuyer can be an option
    https://www.ebuyer.com/311396-amd-960...-hd96ztwfgrbox

The 6870 is about 20%-30% faster than the 6850 and is about $30 more. The 6950 is about 20% faster than the 6870 and costs almost $100 more. So I would say the 6870 is actually more worth it than the 6950 and is not a "waste" of money.
    https://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/291?vs=290

The price difference between 990fx and 990x is next to nil.

A modular PSU fits in his budget, so why not get it?

The after market cooler was posted as an option IF he ever wanted to overclock.
    Last edited by Bengali; 02-26-2012 at 01:49 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by Bengali View Post
    The 955 costs about the same as the 1045t on the amazon site. OP may want to look into other sites to get a quad core. Ebuyer can be an option
    AMD 960T Black Edition 3.0GHz Socket AM3 8MB L2 Cache.. | Ebuyer.com
    I believe the selling price of the 1045t is around 150 bucks, the 955 is 120 bucks. In Europe the 955 goes for 100-ish, the 1045t 115-ish, don't quite see how "about the same" constitutes to over a 10% price difference.

The 6870 is about 20%-30% faster than the 6850 and is about $30 more. The 6950 is about 20% faster than the 6870 and costs almost $100 more. So I would say the 6870 is actually more worth it than the 6950 and is not a "waste" of money.
    AnandTech - Bench - GPU11
    My bad about the 6850, you can't unlock it to the degree a 6950 can. However here are some benchmark for the lulz. The 6850 is an entry-level gaming card and, given that he can cut costs, my recommendation of the 6950 is more than warranted. Pretty much means that you'll go from under 30 fps on HQ HD gaming even as high as 50-60. Well worth the money, even if it means cutting corners elsewhere.

First article I found on Tweaktown: https://www.tweaktown.com/articles/37...970/index.html (it outperforms a stock 6970 ... lulz?)

The price difference between 990fx and 990x is next to nil.
    20€ difference between the low end GA boards, cbf to check other manufacturers right now. There is a difference and every quid counts, especially if he wants a good gaming gpu like the 6950. Hell, he could even get 970 and save even more, but imo if you want at least a bit of space for further expansion the 990x is a must-have.

A modular PSU fits in his budget, so why not get it?
    Read above, every penny counts. Cable management is secondary to performance at this point.

The after market cooler was posted as an option IF he ever wanted to overclock.
    And I did not recommend, pretty much for the same reasons as the modular PSU and 990fx, as well as why I discourage buying a CD/DVD/Bluray drive.

If you grab a cheaper PSU too you can get a decent 990x board + 960t / 955 + 4GB 1333MHz CL9 + 6950 2GB w/ aftermarket cooler + a decent case + 500GB WD Caviar Blue for 550 pounds. And that would rape any 6850 / 6870 build with a modular psu and 1045t a new asshole in gaming
    Last edited by Alen; 02-26-2012 at 05:16 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alen View Post
    I believe the selling price of the 1045t is around 150 bucks, the 955 is 120 bucks. In Europe the 955 goes for 100-ish, the 1045t 115-ish, don't quite see how "about the same" constitutes to over a 10% price difference.
    Amazon.co.uk: amd 955
    Check the link and re-read that post, more carefully this time. You will know what I was talking about.

My bad about the 6850, you can't unlock it to the degree a 6950 can. However here are some benchmark for the lulz. The 6850 is an entry-level gaming card and, given that he can cut costs, my recommendation of the 6950 is more than warranted. Pretty much means that you'll go from under 30 fps on HQ HD gaming even as high as 50-60. Well worth the money, even if it means cutting corners elsewhere.

First article I found on Tweaktown: Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2GB Unlocked to HD 6970 :: TweakTown USA Edition (it outperforms a stock 6970 ... lulz?)
    Of course a 6950 unlocked to a 6970 will be much faster than a 6870. But lets look at a 6950 2gb. Is it worth the extra $100 for just 15% performance increase? And the 2gb Vram will be useless in anything below 1080p resolutions. And even in 1080p res, the games he mentioned do not require a shitload of VRAM.

And does a 6950 fit in a 550 pound budget?

20€ difference between the low end GA boards, cbf to check other manufacturers right now. There is a difference and every quid counts, especially if he wants a good gaming gpu like the 6950. Hell, he could even get 970 and save even more, but imo if you want at least a bit of space for further expansion the 990x is a must-have.
    No. Check newegg and that UK amazon site. I did not see any price difference.

Read above, every penny counts.
    My point exactly. That's why I was referring to the ebuyer site.

And I did not recommend, pretty much for the same reasons as the modular PSU and 990fx, as well as why I discourage buying a CD/DVD/Bluray drive.

If you grab a cheaper PSU too you can get a decent 990x board + 960t / 955 + 4GB 1333MHz CL9 + 6950 2GB w/ aftermarket cooler + a decent case + 500GB WD Caviar Blue for 550 pounds. And that would rape any 6850 / 6870 build with a modular psu and 1045t a new asshole in gaming
    Did I recommend he get the 1045t? No. Go back to my first post. I clearly mentioned a six core CPU is useless in a gaming machine.

I would rather go with a i3 2100 + a Ivy bridge ready board than a AMD system for 500 pound budget.
    Last edited by Bengali; 02-26-2012 at 05:58 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Amazon.co.uk: amd 955
    Check the link and re-read that post, more carefully this time. You will know what I was talking about.
    Why the hell would you buy hardware via Amazon? Shit's overpriced as fuck, no way is either the 960t or the 955 worth anywhere close to 100+ quid.

Of course a 6950 unlocked to a 6970 will be much faster than a 6870. But lets look at a 6950 2gb. Is it worth the extra $100 for just 15% performance increase? And the 2gb Vram will be useless in anything below 1080p resolutions. And even in 1080p res, the games he mentioned do not require a shitload of VRAM.

And does a 6950 fit in a 550 pound budget?
    It's not 15%, especially not if it's performing at 6970 levels. Let's talk about a 60+% increase in more than just one game. And yes, it fits within the budget as well as enabled proper HD gaming at HQ (the 6870 wouldn't even muster 30 fps in most games). Def worth it, if you intend to game.

No. Check newegg and that UK amazon site. I did not see any price difference.
    GA's low end 990X goes for 130 on newegg, the 990FX for 143.

My point exactly. That's why I was referring to the ebuyer site.
    With 97 pounds for a 960T? Site's overpriced, even Scan.co.uk sells it at like 92, and it's far from a good deal. Hell, if he bought everything via Scan.co.uk he might come across cheaper than picking stuff from shops you're listing

Did I recommend he get the 1045t? No. Go back to my first post. I clearly mentioned a six core CPU is useless in a gaming machine.

I would rather go with a i3 2100 + a Ivy bridge ready board than a AMD system for 500 pound budget.
    Did I ever say you were recommending it? Nope, he was intending to buy it though, so I did comment on it. And yes, at least we agree on something.

Thanks
    It's not 15%, especially not if it's performing at 6970 levels. Let's talk about a 60+% increase in more than just one game. And yes, it fits within the budget as well as enabled proper HD gaming at HQ (the 6870 wouldn't even muster 30 fps in most games). Def worth it, if you intend to game.
    30 fps on most games? No.
    https://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/290

Kindly post your 550 pound build with a 6950 2gb. Provide links for all the parts please.

GA's low end 990X goes for 130 on newegg, the 990FX for 143.
    990x motherboards
    Newegg.com - 990x motherboard

990fx motherboards
    Newegg.com - 990fx motherboard
    Last edited by Bengali; 02-26-2012 at 06:55 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    You do know that most of those benchmarks are done at 1680*1050 and not at the max quality right? Furthermore I would like to see the performance scaling if we ever push into even higher resolutions, where vram would come into serious consideration.

Also comparing Asrock to GA? Seriously?

PS, 550 pound build (including carriage):

I'll take back the 550 thing, you could most likely save 10% and go 500-ish if you bothered searching around for the best deals.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Doubtful
    You do know that most of those benchmarks are done at 1680*1050 and not at the max quality right? Furthermore I would like to see the performance scaling if we ever push into even higher resolutions, where vram would come into serious consideration.

I'll take back the 550 thing, you could most likely save 10% and go 500-ish if you bothered searching around for the best deals.
    Maybe a slightly cheaper Asus/GA mobo?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevenom View Post
    Maybe a slightly cheaper Asus/GA mobo?
    Personally I would have gone with a MSI / Asrock, but I seriously just added the first search result. As said, if one took the time to find the best deals and best items you could easily bring this down to 500 pounds.

Thanks
    Umm no, there are equal amounts of 1080p benchmarks as well, with high settings where the 6870 performs very good.

Wait am I comparing anything? I am just showing you the prices.

That's a good build. Is that a cooler master PSU? The build can be even lower with a 6870 however.
    Last edited by Bengali; 02-27-2012 at 07:53 AM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Wait am I comparing anything? I am just showing you the prices.

That's a good build. Is that a cooler master PSU? The build can be even lower with a 6870 however.
    The only comparable prices between the 990fx and 990x are if you compare a decent 990x board with a budget 990fx. Derp. No, it's a budget PSU and why go under 500 pounds if he can go that high? I dunno if you've ever had the 6870 / 6970, but it's definitely worth getting the 6950 and unlocking it or the 6970 over a 6870. Those benchmarks there are far from realistic for his build and every bit of power that can keep him above 60 fps should be put to good use. I rest my case

Thanks
    My Mood
    Stressed
    Woah shit. so many replies, will read them in detail later on.

BUT BIG CHANGE!
    I have consulted with my sister, and sadly, my budget is going down [ due to the fact, my dad had a car crash and had to buy a new car and he had to go aboard to visit my sick granddad after a health scare.]

So from a £700 budget to a £500 budget ~ 600 is REALLY pushing it.. :s

Cheers for all the replies and also cheers for the money saving tips
    Quote Originally Posted by Irie View Post

It's funny how everyone comes to MPGH with their problems

Fuck her and get it over with..
    Press that 'Thanks' button below this if I helped you in my post

Thanks
    My Mood
    Doubtful
    This is the custom built PC I've got,

Paid 600 pound for it and I'm very happy with it, the only reason I got a new PC for was that BF3 was going to come out soon and my old PC could barely run BF3 on low settings I sold the whole thing and decided to get a custom built PC, so the main goal of this new PC I was going to build was to run BF3 at least on High settings. The outcome was really great, this custom built PC I got runs BF3 easily on all High settings and can run it on all Ultra with FPS around 40 and when explosions start it drops to around 20. I got all the parts in London if you want more information PM me, I'll be happy to help you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails
    Capture.PNG  

<--- iShadowLTu as you can see in my Avatar picture is my In-Game name for most online games.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast