Thanks
    My Mood
    Stressed

Help me choose a temp GFX card.

Well since this doesn't really fit into my other topic since that's for a complete build, i wanna ask for help for choosing a temp GFX card.

I wanna play TF2 but i have to use configs and shit, so im wondering, whats the most budget-y card i can get which can run TF2 at medium at maybe 40-50+ fps...

Also, another question, is it possible for an intergrated chipset to be better than a GFX card?
    e.g Intel chipset vs like the first ever graphics card ~ i've always wondered this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irie View Post

It's funny how everyone comes to MPGH with their problems

Fuck her and get it over with..
    Press that 'Thanks' button below this if I helped you in my post

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by FangedBeast View Post
    Well since this doesn't really fit into my other topic since that's for a complete build, i wanna ask for help for choosing a temp GFX card.

I wanna play TF2 but i have to use configs and shit, so im wondering, whats the most budget-y card i can get which can run TF2 at medium at maybe 40-50+ fps...

Also, another question, is it possible for an intergrated chipset to be better than a GFX card?
    e.g Intel chipset vs like the first ever graphics card ~ i've always wondered this.
    Ofc it can be better than some older gpus, but pretty much anything you buy nowadays, even for $20, will outperform Intel's integrated stuff. As for the temp card ... what's your budget? Buying something too cheap isn't worth it imo, but the cheapest cards would most likely be the older Nvidia 240 GT or the ATI 5670. Just grab 'em second hand or something, they should be hella cheap. And they should be able to handle some AA and AF too

Thanks
    My Mood
    Stressed
    Maybe under £50 - because if i install a gfx card, i will need to get a new PSU because right now i have a shitty pre-built 240w psu
    I just want to run like the basic games at a high fps e.g counter strike 1.6 and like basic games e.g TF2 and possibly COD 4 at a reasonable/good fps (at least 40 fps and on medium settings preferably)
    edit: also, i want to say ~ this time, i'm prepared to go to ebay to buy this temp card..
    Last edited by FangedBeast; 04-03-2012 at 01:27 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Maybe under £50 - because if i install a gfx card, i will need to get a new PSU because right now i have a shitty pre-built 240w psu
    I just want to run like the basic games at a high fps e.g counter strike 1.6 and like basic games e.g TF2 and possibly COD 4 at a reasonable/good fps (at least 40 fps and on medium settings preferably)
    edit: also, i want to say ~ this time, i'm prepared to go to ebay to buy this temp card..
    These are my recommendations, both should be just shy of 60 though. Anything less would be a crime

Thanks
    My Mood
    Stressed
    wait, just a question: wont this bottleneck?
    since i have a pentium dual core ;/
    edit: just a side question: i downloaded TF2 to see how laggy it would be ~ pretty laggy but one thing stuck me, the loading times were horrendous. Is this due to my processor or my RAM? because i went round to my cousins and he recently reformatted and downloaded TF2 and his load times were faster yet he had the same amount of RAM [and he was using a laptop]
    edit 2: also, just another question - i have a HP PC if i were to reformat, would it reformat absoulutely everything including like the basic programs like internet explorer? because i remember when i was younger, my sister reformatted and it reset everything and like we couln't access the internet or something because we didn't have the basic programs.. :s
    Last edited by FangedBeast; 04-05-2012 at 07:51 AM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed
    edit: just a side question: i downloaded TF2 to see how laggy it would be ~ pretty laggy but one thing stuck me, the loading times were horrendous. Is this due to my processor or my RAM? because i went round to my cousins and he recently reformatted and downloaded TF2 and his load times were faster yet he had the same amount of RAM [and he was using a laptop]
    edit 2: also, just another question - i have a HP PC if i were to reformat, would it reformat absoulutely everything including like the basic programs like internet explorer? because i remember when i was younger, my sister reformatted and it reset everything and like we couln't access the internet or something because we didn't have the basic programs.. :s
    Loading times is to do with the HDD and the HDD speed. It depends on your HDD there are different types. HP PC's have factory reset, so you dont need to reformat.
    CPU: Intel i5 2500k
    MEMORY: Gskill 8gb 1600mhz (4gb x 2)
    MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
    HDD: OCZ Agility 3 (60gb) and WD Caviar Blue (1tb)
    GPU: HIS AMD HD 6950 (x2 crossfire)

My Anime List: https://myanimelist.net/profile/CowsGoMooo

Thanks
    My Mood
    Stressed
    Quote Originally Posted by Aznganxter View Post
    Loading times is to do with the HDD and the HDD speed. It depends on your HDD there are different types. HP PC's have factory reset, so you dont need to reformat.
    hmm...
    well how do i factory reset?
    and isnt factory reset where it like completely, completely resets the pc, because it comes from the factory to HP and then software gets installed right?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    hmm...
    well how do i factory reset?
    and isnt factory reset where it like completely, completely resets the pc, because it comes from the factory to HP and then software gets installed right?
    I hate factory resets because they're essentially:
    1) install an old windows copy
    2) install old drivers
    3) install old, crappy software

What you should do:
    1) install a fresh copy of 7 SP1
    2) install new drivers
    3) install only the software you want and need

Thanks
    My Mood
    Stressed
    Quote Originally Posted by Alen View Post
    I hate factory resets because they're essentially:
    1) install an old windows copy
    2) install old drivers
    3) install old, crappy software

What you should do:
    1) install a fresh copy of 7 SP1
    2) install new drivers
    3) install only the software you want and need
    hmm. thinking about that ~ since i have vista
    p.s could you answer the below please ;>
    also, what hardware would most likely/easily fail [first] ~ what second, third, forth ect..?
    what signs will there be when hardware fails? especially the GFX card ~ would it just puff out smoke?
    If i were to install/upgrade to Windows 7 SP1, would all my data be wiped?

Also, since i will probably get the temp 6670, i'll probably get like a 600w psu from antec/corsair or something off of ebay so i can save money for when i do that build [from the other topic] since i went to google and it said that if a PSU were to fail, then the PSU would safely shut its self down [if its a known company] so i guess its ok to buy a PSU from ebay...

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    p.s could you answer the below please ;>
    Quite possibly, though I would still get it. It'll outperform any older non-bottlenecked card easily.

also, what hardware would most likely/easily fail [first] ~ what second, third, forth ect..?
    what signs will there be when hardware fails? especially the GFX card ~ would it just puff out smoke?
    Although I have CPUs on my #1 spot, I would say thatHDDs last the least, probably followed by PSUs. Just don't harrass the poor CPU with too much power and it shouldn't die within the month or two

If i were to install/upgrade to Windows 7 SP1, would all my data be wiped?
    If you upgraded your data should be kept, however if you wish to install a fresh copy (which is recommended), you can simply back up your documents etc. on a USB drive. You'll have to reinstall the programs, though that shouldn't be too much of an issue, imo. Bookmarks and the such can be synced with an online service too.

Also, since i will probably get the temp 6670, i'll probably get like a 600w psu from antec/corsair or something off of ebay so i can save money for when i do that build [from the other topic] since i went to google and it said that if a PSU were to fail, then the PSU would safely shut its self down [if its a known company] so i guess its ok to buy a PSU from ebay...
    tl;dr the 6670 isn't a card that requires a lot of power (actually the gddr5 version maxes out at around 30W I think), probably any PSU you have now should suffice. As far as good PSUs go, it's most likely safest to stick to known manufacturers, though I personally just recommend you buy something with a 2 year warranty if it's cheap enough and powerful enough, as a PSU dying doesn't tend to damage the other hardware. And by the time the warranty runs out ... well ... 2 years will have passed.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Stressed
    Quite possibly, though I would still get it. It'll outperform any older non-bottlenecked card easily.

Although I have CPUs on my #1 spot, I would say thatHDDs last the least, probably followed by PSUs. Just don't harrass the poor CPU with too much power and it shouldn't die within the month or two
    Harass? uhhh. Does it mean i shouldn't buy a 600w psu because I want to buy it so I can add new hardware/use it for a new build later..
    Also, i thought a PSU only gives what the PC needs..

If you upgraded your data should be kept, however if you wish to install a fresh copy (which is recommended), you can simply back up your documents etc. on a USB drive. You'll have to reinstall the programs, though that shouldn't be too much of an issue, imo. Bookmarks and the such can be synced with an online service too.
    Hmm.. The only things i wanna keep [that i can think of] are my bookmarks and photos...
    Anything else worth back-uping?

tl;dr the 6670 isn't a card that requires a lot of power (actually the gddr5 version maxes out at around 30W I think), probably any PSU you have now should suffice. As far as good PSUs go, it's most likely safest to stick to known manufacturers, though I personally just recommend you buy something with a 2 year warranty if it's cheap enough and powerful enough, as a PSU dying doesn't tend to damage the other hardware. And by the time the warranty runs out ... well ... 2 years will have passed.
    I don't think 220w will suffice ;( - yeah, i'm gonna go for corsair if anything...
    Last edited by FangedBeast; 04-07-2012 at 06:05 AM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Harass? uhhh. Does it mean i shouldn't buy a 600w psu because I want to buy it so I can add new hardware/use it for a new build later..
    Also, i thought a PSU only gives what the PC needs..
    I was talking about overvolting too much, you shouldn't worry 'bout anything unless you intend to get into serious overclocking.

Hmm.. The only things i wanna keep [that i can think of] are my bookmarks and photos...
    Anything else worth back-uping?
    In my case it's mainly documents, game configs & save games, configs / stuff from certain programs / browsers (identities, certificates etc.)

I don't think 220w will suffice ;( - yeah, i'm gonna go for corsair if anything...
    [/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Depends on the other components

Thanks
    My Mood
    Stressed
    I was talking about overvolting too much, you shouldn't worry 'bout anything unless you intend to get into serious overclocking.
    oh nahh.
    Don't really want to over clock my shit pentium D /

In my case it's mainly documents, game configs & save games, configs / stuff from certain programs / browsers (identities, certificates etc.)
    hmm.

Depends on the other components
    Hmm. I still think 220W is still incredibly low, only like just borderline enough to support my PC now..

Just to make sure, i wanna ask, is it ok to buy a PSU bigger than your PC needs? because i'm gonna buy a 600w for later use..
    Another example: having a 1000w PSU when your PC only needs 700w