Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive

Do schools kill creativity?

As the topic says, do you believe schools kill creativity or stifle it in any way whatsoever? If you do, or you don't, why?
    God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    the aim of public education is not to spread enlightenment at all, it is simply to reduce as many individuals as possible to the same safe level, to breed and train a standardized citizenry, to put down dissent and originality.

hl mencken

aim is to make people the same

inevitably stifles creativity in weak-minded people, but their creativity is not worth much

the strong-minded can't be stifled
    [IMG]https://i381.photobucke*****m/albums/oo259/darkstar9540/wbstrange.png[/IMG]
    "I really screwed up this time."
    Jeffrey Dahmer

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wild Bill HickCock For This Useful Post:

Deadly Impact (05-21-2012)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Sure. Base creativity will not be as high on average. But the problem with that is creativity vs. already known ideas. Education is a way people to be "brought up to speed" in a way, it makes it so that you don't spend your life on the verge of a breakthrough that has already been done.

In a way though standard "rinse and repeat" education does stifle creativity because all it requires is that you memorize something for the short-term and repeat it on a test.

In most schools, there are 3 levels of questions where as 1 is just basic definition, 2 with in relation to the subject, and 3 for critical thinking.

The problem is that in any given scenario the topic that is currently being taught will come into play too far from the origins. This is pretty bad in most schools when involving the sciences. Studying on chemistry then to physics then to geometry only a year later to come back to what you learned in physics to help you understand the algebra problem.

What i've experienced is that due to this constant topic change and information needing to be stored for a year +, there is constantly review phases which wouldn't be needed if the curriculum would just teach things in order.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

In other words: Yes it does, but not to any degree of mattering.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Empire For This Useful Post:

[MPGH]AVGN (05-14-2012)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cold
    Schools do kill creativity. As a matter of fact, I think that schools are getting better and better at it. In today's day, if a genius like Einstein was failing school, he would never be who he was back then, but he would rather be put in a mentally challenged category.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed
    Yes, schools teach us what is right and what is wrong and what we should do and how we should question it and how we should solve it. What we learn(ed) is based on absorbing info, not discovering it ourselves.
    You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named 'Bush', 'Dick', and 'Colon'.
    -- Chris Rock

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    We at school, learn to disbelieve what they tell you. And find it out yourself by research. When i was little, the news sometimes freaked me out. Nowadays i don't listen to what they say since most of it is just bullshit. They make things look different then the reality.. School surely supports my creative vision because we have a lot of creative classes like art, music and stuff.
    “Those who control the past, control the future: who controls the present controls the past” ~ George Orwell

Its me, Dreamgun

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    I don't believe Western schools are crushing creativity. Creativity isn't something that can be crushed unless it is directly, and strongly opposed. That said, they're doing a horrible job of promoting it.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Yes i absolutely agree with the title of this post. In my Design & Technology class, the teachers give us a premade 9 options to choose from for our final projects. We have 6 months to create it.

If it isn't bad enough picking from only a handful of shit projects that they probably came up with in 3 minutes, what is even worse is the fact that the teacher forces us to create our project in again, a premade process.

We must first do the Product Analysis shit, then task analysis and all that bull. We can't just go out and create it using our imagination, no, the teachers must dictate how we go through the process of creating our piece. It is fucking annoying, since they give us a shit ton of homework and don't let us do things the way we want to.