Thanks
    My Mood
    Sad

Question for students who have been to university:

• For first year students, what is expected of you on the first day? Must you have all your books\supplies? How do you know what kind of calculator you will need for your physics\math\calc courses?
    • Is it common for the course to 'require' books not used by the professor?
    • Is it worth investing in to like a Kindle and then torrenting all your books in PDF format?
    • How much harm can it be to have a book one or two editions older than that requested by the class?
    • What are some of your study\note-taking techniques for lectures? Do you do it the same way you did in High School when teachers were giving lectures?

Das pre much it.

There are two types of tragedies in life. One is not getting what you want, the other is getting it.

If you wake up at a different time in a different place, could you wake up as a different person?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    1. I got syllabuses from all my professors, and you will too, bring a notebook and pencil to write anything essential down.
    2. Depends on what you mean, but I recommend listening to what professors say about their reading material. Some is essential, some is skippable.
    3. Laptops > Tablets, really all i can say on this matter.
    4. You may not be able to follow material, but try to torrent whatever you can and use the money saved for books that are more elusive.
    5. Really depends on you, I wrote outlines of what was covered and tried to elaborate on that with my textbook/the internet. Attend all the lectures you can, it gets you so much leverage depending on the professor.

BONUS TIP: Be a stingy motherfucker and save money.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Bored
    They will inject AIDS into your ass via a flesh syringe
    first day, be prepared

Thanks
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Quote Originally Posted by Cole View Post
    They will inject AIDS into your ass via a flesh syringe
    first day, be prepared
    day 2: get hit by a bus, insurance info collected goes to a mats axelsson

Thanks
    My Mood
    Bored
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    day 2: get hit by a bus, insurance info collected goes to a mats axelsson

somebody is gonna have to raise the ante in day z and get suicide bombed with a plane or hit with a boat

Thanks
    My Mood
    Yeehaw

somebody is gonna have to raise the ante in day z and get suicide bombed with a plane or hit with a boat
    running over a team mate with a bus is hard to beat, i'm thinking kamikaze with a huey if possible, and if not, 360 rollscope headshotting dave.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Bored
    running over a team mate with a bus is hard to beat, i'm thinking kamikaze with a huey if possible, and if not, 360 rollscope headshotting dave.
    idk if anybody figured out how to kill somebody with a boat that goes 9 KPH id probably bow down...

Thanks
    My Mood
    Yeehaw

idk if anybody figured out how to kill somebody with a boat that goes 9 KPH id probably bow down...
    i killed dave at a solid 4 miles per hour

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Getting into uni now, so here's how it goes here:
    >For first year students, what is expected of you on the first day? Must you have all your books\supplies? How do you know what kind of calculator you will need for your physics\math\calc courses?
    I already have a list of must-have literature, though I was warned that any class/prof might want additional stuff. I know the calculator restrictions and therefore I'm just gonna keep my current one. No matter what course you're taking I recommend you get a TI-Nspire CX, CAS version if it's not forbidden during exams.
    >Is it common for the course to 'require' books not used by the professor?
    As said, for both unis I'm considering going to I've got "core" literature for a course and then each prof can recommend his own stuff and/or ignore "core" literature.
    >Is it worth investing in to like a Kindle and then torrenting all your books in PDF format?
    I've had a hard time finding all my study books as ebooks, I've ran across some shitty scans etc. but I dunno if you'll get most of it in a format that's decent and compatible w/ Kindle and the likes.
    >How much harm can it be to have a book one or two editions older than that requested by the class?
    Depends on the class, for my finals in HS the physics and chem courses changed quite a bit over the past few years. Then again, so did the entire program. However certain fields are rapidly developing (and you did list physics in your first question) so I would get the latest one possible, at least for natural sciences.
    >What are some of your study\note-taking techniques for lectures? Do you do it the same way you did in High School when teachers were giving lectures?
    Laptops have worked for most subjects so far, I did have to switch to pen and paper for maths & physics though from time to time. When I was taking uni maths courses during HS for competitions and shit there was no way I could have pulled off a laptop.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sad
    Thanks a lot Alen & Paladin, I really appreciate the insight. I found some books the ebay that are like 1/3rd the price, but they're the "international" editions? Are those a safe buy?

There are two types of tragedies in life. One is not getting what you want, the other is getting it.

If you wake up at a different time in a different place, could you wake up as a different person?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Breezy
    https://sit[]es.goo[]gle.com/site/scienceandmathguide

This helps immensely, good luck bro.
    Last edited by Physcadelic; 08-05-2012 at 02:51 AM.

R.I.P a great GM

Quote Originally Posted by Assalamu alaikum View Post
    what? maybe stop talk with riddles and with words i am not even know.

Thanks
    How about playing for three hours and never bein able to find where you niggas are at

OT: bring a notebook the first day. As Paladin said you will get a course syllabus with all of the professors expectations, rules, course outline, etc. Dont buy any books until you get the syllabus, I wasted 300 bucks on books I don't need.

Kindle is an AMAZING way to save money and your back instead of lugging your books around (if you scheduled multiple classes for one day).

Older outdated books can fuck you over if the teacher writes a new course outline for each semester like mine did.

As for note taking, make a diagram in your notebook and write key words from the lesson at the top then a quick summary on each, then use your own words to describe the keywords when studying. My Psych professor had my whole lecture hall do this all year, no one scored under a 96 on any test an his tests were hard as shit. Te method helped me get a perfect tally on my research paper as well.