Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired

What programming language would be best to start a game?

I'm brand new to coding but have been learning some visual basic over the weeks, trying to get introduced into the programming field. I will probably be sticking with visual basic until I can master that.

After my training in visual basic, I would like to create a game with a friend. Something close to Runescape or World of Warcraft. A MMO-RPG with decent graphics and a huge map. These 2 games have pretty big teams working on them. I am just trying to create a decent online game with 2 people. I also have to think about hacks (I know hacking community so bad that I want to keep them out of my game ) So what kind of programming could I use to do this?

I was thinking maybe adobe flash. It seems simple enough but that seems to "pixely" for a fun game and doesn't allow user input in a full screen type of game from what I hear..

I was then thinking java. The graphics on runescape were pretty nice (in the beginning..) and it seemed to be pretty stable. Many people had trouble with java though and playing it. That might be a problem. It seems like the best choice. Minecraft seemed like a nice game too.

Finally I was thinking C++ like world of warcraft. This would be the best choice for a game in terms of graphics. I then found out they use python for game logic and LUA scripting. This seems like way to much work to do for 2 people. Also I have heard C++ is a more advanced language to learn and requires a pretty solid understanding of another language.

Anything helps really.
    Last edited by zsniprx; 10-08-2012 at 08:51 PM.

Blizzard, why you no gimmi?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy
    C/++, it is the industry standard when it comes to games.
    Oh btw, you will NEVER make " I would like to create a game with a friend. Something close to Runescape or World of Warcraft. A MMO-RPG with decent graphics and a huge map"

That requires YEARS of experience, and YEARS to make. It takes COMPANIES YEARS to make games. 3D graphics require super epic math skills.

C++ doesn't require knowledge of another language, I believe. Whether you learn COBOL, Basic, Fortran, C#, or C++, as a beginner, they will be a challenge. Just get used to it and it'll be fine.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtual Void View Post
    C/++, it is the industry standard when it comes to games.
    Oh btw, you will NEVER make " I would like to create a game with a friend. Something close to Runescape or World of Warcraft. A MMO-RPG with decent graphics and a huge map"

That requires YEARS of experience, and YEARS to make. It takes COMPANIES YEARS to make games. 3D graphics require super epic math skills.

C++ doesn't require knowledge of another language, I believe. Whether you learn COBOL, Basic, Fortran, C#, or C++, as a beginner, they will be a challenge. Just get used to it and it'll be fine.
    I can understand the taking years of work for huge companies to do it. It probably wouldn't be possible for 2 random people to try to make a game but it would be good practice. It would be a good goal to set. Good education is found by doing.
    I thought C++ was insanely hard and was very hesitant of that.

Would it be possible to try a 2D game? probably with adobe flash. This would probably take a lot of time as well but will not be as hard.
    Last edited by zsniprx; 10-08-2012 at 10:12 PM.

Blizzard, why you no gimmi?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    I'd say C# if you're just starting off. Even after you've gotten far with game development, C# is still a great choice.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by zsniprx View Post
    I can understand the taking years of work for huge companies to do it. It probably wouldn't be possible for 2 random people to try to make a game but it would be good practice. It would be a good goal to set. Good education is found by doing.
    I thought C++ was insanely hard and was very hesitant of that.

Would it be possible to try a 2D game? probably with adobe flash. This would probably take a lot of time as well but will not be as hard.
    Yes, education is found by doing. But, finish something. Why try to create something you realize is way out of your league? Try creating a tic tac toe, or tetris, or a mario clone. Something small. And when you finish it, you have something to show off. I'd be way more impressed at a snake game than a 3% complete MMO

Thanks
    My Mood
    Busy
    Quote Originally Posted by Void View Post
    I'd say C# if you're just starting off. Even after you've gotten far with game development, C# is still a great choice.
    This, Use Microsoft XNA framework and you will be able to even port your games to xbox easily.
    Light travels faster than sound. That's why most people seem bright until you hear them speak.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Dead
    Quote Originally Posted by Void View Post
    nahh disgreee with brinuz, you can use unity3D its amazing, you can code in c# plus it has a reference and almost everything you could ask for . from graphics to uploading it to ps3 xbox . check unity3d.com
    "out out , brief candle" life is a matter of seconds.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheeky
    Quote Originally Posted by unspeakable View Post
    nahh disgreee with brinuz, you can use unity3D its amazing, you can code in c# plus it has a reference and almost everything you could ask for . from graphics to uploading it to ps3 xbox . check unity3d.com
    Unity is horrible for starters.
    Ah we-a blaze the fyah, make it bun dem!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    Quote Originally Posted by Hell_Demon View Post
    Unity is horrible for starters.
    wtf hell no. Unity is great for new people starting out, Thats why Unity was really developed. For new comers wanting to make games.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Busy
    XNA, id rather make it from scratch
    Light travels faster than sound. That's why most people seem bright until you hear them speak.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy
    My personal favorite for C++ is using OpenGL for rendering and leave the audio and input and timing to SDL. SDL is super easy to learn and was designed to work flawlessly with OpenGL. SDL by itself however uses an ancient directdraw by itself, which is super slow (only supports software rendering, no hardware acceleration) which is why I recommend using SDL with OpenGL.

SFML is also good. Totally C++ based so a lot of OOP rather than OpenGL or SDL. SFML uses OpenGL as a backend but you are trading ease for control.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Programming language used has very little to do with how complex the graphics can be. Graphics are dependent on the graphics engine, and how much you put into them.

Although making a game in Java is possible, it is unideal. If you are trying to create a 3D game I would learn C++.

C++ is not really the type of thing where you can make a game while you are still learning. I would start learning C++ and practice by making "Hello World" types of applications, and just work your way up until you fully understand C++.

When I first started learning C++ I tried making a fully text based game, which became very difficult with limited knowledge. My point is that text based games are as simple as it gets, and even with something that simple you first need to understand the language.

Best of luck!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheeky
    Quote Originally Posted by APEsmoker View Post
    wtf hell no. Unity is great for new people starting out, Thats why Unity was really developed. For new comers wanting to make games.
    It's great for people with zero knowledge of coding and using the standard assets. I've found it a bitch to work with and as such uninstalled it within a week.
    Ah we-a blaze the fyah, make it bun dem!