Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Quote Originally Posted by St1pe View Post
    Alright haha, would you possibly be able to send me everything you have? Would be nice to be ready for everything xD
    ya i sent dave a message about me uploading it to mpgh and getting a sticky :P

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed
    Quote Originally Posted by ℒεℬøss View Post
    ya i sent dave a message about me uploading it to mpgh and getting a sticky :P
    Would you possibly be able to email me the whole pack until then? so I can comb it over and take what I will be needing for this year.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Would you possibly be able to email me the whole pack until then? so I can comb it over and take what I will be needing for this year.
    its 197mb lol. i dont think i can send that much.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed
    its 197mb lol. i dont think i can send that much.
    you can send me 25 mb at a time, a total of almost 8 emails.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    you can send me 25 mb at a time, a total of almost 8 emails.
    Will take too long haha. Dont worry, they will be uploaded to the site in no time.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed
    Will take too long haha. Dont worry, they will be uploaded to the site in no time.
    Alright awesome.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Got a set on Huck Finn and Moby Dick
    They're all written in simple/average sentence structure, so not my writing style, and my teacher can tell in a heartbeat
    Heavily discourage plagiarizing this, but can be used as quick information grab/possible summary read
    /Vouch
    Quote Originally Posted by Extravagant View Post
    The problem is that we're people. People are shitty beings, you just gotta keep that in mind.
    "Science is interesting, and if you don't agree you can fuck off." - Richard Dawkins
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Lehsyrus View Post
    Troll nomination. Allah and Muhammad for 1400 years of bullshit.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 666HiddenMaster666 For This Useful Post:

DєfKOniK (11-24-2012)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Quote Originally Posted by 666HiddenMaster666 View Post
    Got a set on Huck Finn and Moby Dick
    They're all written in simple/average sentence structure, so not my writing style, and my teacher can tell in a heartbeat
    Heavily discourage plagiarizing this, but can be used as quick information grab/possible summary read
    /Vouch

exactly what these are made for. merely for just a very good template! i.e getting arguments and themes and such.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    I could use one on To Kill A Mockingbird

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny614 View Post
    I could use one on To Kill A Mockingbird
    Whats your email?[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 07:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 AM ----------

nvm ill post them here xD

Individually, people can be decent and kind; however, in a mob, people can be judgmental and cruel.
    In the classic by Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird, several mob scenes portray the cruelty carried
    in numbers, but also exhibits that that any one person within that mob can have the strength to overcome
    the crowd and have the will to speak out. In two specific mobs, one of the Cunnighams proves to have
    the scruples to say what they believe deeply believe is right.

The first mob situation occurred just outside of the city jailhouse. Here, the drunken group came with
    the intent of seizing and killing the accused felon. The crowd discarded individual convictions, and
    affiliated themselves with society's "band-wagon." Yet within this oblivious hoard, one man had the audacity
    to prevent the attempted murder- Mr. Cunningham. It took a few small but significant words from Scout to
    convert Cunninghams's way of thinking to a more normal fashion. "Let's clear out" was all it took form Cunningham
    to remove the men, and go home.

Similarly in the courtroom, another moral dilemma arose: this time within the jury.
    Once more, a group of twelve men came with an intent of charging Tom Robinson guilty.
    No where did it say the bias jury initially had a guilty verdict in mind, but with the
    attitude towards blacks in Maycomb County, Lee made it bluntly obvious that they had no
    intention of pronouncing Tom innocent. In the book Atticus made it very clear, "In our courts,
    when it's a white man's word against a black man's, the white man always wins." Just as in
    the horde outside the jailhouse, another member of the Cunningham family played the outsider
    of this group. Atticus later referred to the unnamed Cunningham, "You might like to know that
    there was one fellow who took considerable wearing down-in the beginning he was rarin' for an
    outright acquittal." Even though this Cunningham was not able to hold his ground, he held his
    position for over two hours while arguing with his peers. It was a courageous act all in itself.

Lee may have tried to express society's views threw the use of the mobs. Each mob contained
    men of different occupations, classes, and life-styles; but, were bonded with a common trait- hatred.
    Humans are not born hating each other; therefor, they have to learn it in life. The men in the
    in the mobs inherited this trait from their environment in Maycomb. Some of them were able to realize
    the naivete involved in hatred. With the bonds shared inside the community, a person may have felt
    reserved in asserting his or her ideas. This is most likely why Mr. Cunningham initially joined
    the mob, and why the other Cunningham gave in to the others in the jury. Anybody can be a scrupulous
    and gentle person, but when a person becomes part of a collective is when their convictions come to the test.

i have more if needed.

The book To Kill a Mockingbird was written by Harper Lee. It was published in 1960 then it went on to win the Pulitzer prize in 1961 and was later made into an Academy Award winning film.

Harper Lee always considered her book to be a simple love story. Today it is regarded as a masterpiece of American Literature.

There are so many characters in this book that I can't name all of them. Here are most of the characters.

The Finch family contains of Atticus (The head of the household), Aunt Alexandra (Atticus's sister), (Jem) Jeremy (The oldest of Atticus's two children), (Scout) Jean Louise (The youngest of the two . She also trys to be a boy by doing boy things). And you can't forget their black maid. Her name is Calpurnia.

Miss Rachael is Dill's aunt that lives in Maycomb. Dill is a friends with Jem and Scout. According to Scout they are married. (Boo) Arthur Radley is the person that takes Jem back to his house after Jem gets hurt by Bob Ewell. Tom Robinson is a black man that was accused of raping Mayella Ewell. Bob Ewell is Mayella's father. He is out for revenge on Atticus for what he did to him and his daughter. Mayella is Bob's daughter who supposedly got raped by Tom Robinson. Judge Taylor is the Judge of Maycomb County. Heck Tate is the county law official.

I think the protagonist in the story is Atticus Finch because he has the main part and he has the biggest decision to make. The decision being whether to defend or not to defend Tom Robinson.

To Kill a Mockingbird is set in Maycomb County, an imaginary district in Southern Alabama. The time is the early 1930s, the years of the Great Depression when poverty and unemployment were widespread in the United States.

The story begins during the summer when Scout and Jem meet a new playmate named Dill who has come from Mississippi to spend the summer with his Aunt Rachael. Dill is fascinated by the neighborhood gossip about "Boo" Radley. Egged on by Dill, Jem and Scout try to think up ways to lure him out of his house.

Soon it is Summer again , and Dill returns for another visit. The children's plans for making contact with Boo Radley grew bolder this year, and on Dill's last night they decide to sneak up onto the Radley porch and spy on Boo. Jem goes first, but just as he reaches the window, Nathan Radley catches site of them and scares them off with a blast from a shot gun.

Jem realizes that Boo is not a monster after all, but has been playing along with them. Scout does not figure this out until the winter, on the night that the house of their neighbor burns to the ground. While Scout is standing outside in the cold, someone sneaks up behind her and places a blanket around her. Later, Scout and Jem realize that there was only one person in town who has not already at work fighting the fire and that was Boo.

Now that Jem and Scout realize that Boo is basically a kind person, their interest in the Radley family begins to fade. In the meantime, they learn that their father has become the defense lawyer for Tom Robinson, who is charged with raping Mayella Ewell.

As the trial of Tom Robinson grows nearer, the children become more aware of the strong feeling it has aroused in everyone in Maycomb. One day their housekeeper takes Jem and Scout to visit her church, and the children realize for the first time that the black parishioners are supporting Tom Robinson's wife.

Two nights before the trial is to start, a group of men come to the Finch house to tell Atticus about threats against Tom Robinson's life. Atticus spends the next night camped out at the jail to defend Tom from the mob. Jem, Scout and Dill go downtown to check on Atticus and arrive at the same time as a group of men, who have come to kill Tom. Scout recognizes one of the men in the group as Walter Cunningham. Her friendliness embarrasses the man so much that he and the mob leave.

The next day, at the trial, Atticus" questions make it clear that Mayella and her father are lying about the rape. Neverless the jury convict him because their prejudices prevent them from taking a black man's word against two whites. Atticus is now a hero in the black community of Maycomb, but Bob Ewell, vows to "get" Atticus for showing him up as a liar in front of the whole town.

Tom Robinson has give n up hope and trys to flee the prison, but while doing it he gets caught and shot.

By the time Halloween comes around, the Finch family has begun to put Tom's death behind them. There is a pageant planned and Scout much to her dismay has been cast as a ham. After the pageant Scout decides to walk home still dressed in her bulky costume, with Jem leading the way. The cowardly Bob Ewell. seeing an opportunity to get revenge on Atticus through his children. He follows the children down a dark street and tries to kill them. In the side. It is none other than Boo Radley, who had seen the attack from his window. Boo stabs Bob Ewell to death, and carries the wounded Jem home.

The sheriff decides to file a report that Bob fell on his own knife and died, thus sparing Boo the publicity that would be sure to follow.

Scout never sees Boo again after that night, but she has learned that he was a good man all along. She has learned a lesson about understanding and tolerance. And through the sheriff's action she sees that sometimes there can be justice and compassion in the world.

The title of the book, To Kill a Mockingbird is a key to some themes in the novel. The title is first explained in Chapter 10 at the time that Jem and Scout have just received air rifles for Christmas. Atticus tells his children that it is a sin to shoot a mockingbird. Later Miss Maudie explains that Atticus meant that Mockingbirds are harmless creatures who do nothing but sing for enjoyment.

It is easy to see that the "mockingbird" in this story is Tom Robinson a harmless man who becomes a victim of racial prejudice. Like the mockingbird, Tom has never done wrong to anyone. Even the jurors who sentence him to death have nothing personal against him. They find him guilty mostly because they feel that to take the word of a black man over two whites would threaten the system they live under, the system of segregation. Tom himself is guilty of nothing but being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Last edited by DєfKOniK; 11-25-2012 at 05:34 AM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Blah
    @ℒεℬøss got Brave New World and 1984 and the Great Gatsby ?
    Last edited by Terio; 11-25-2012 at 07:53 AM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Yes. @MusiK

The Great Gatsby was a very compelling and well-written novel. This book
    has a very intriguing plot, from the mysterious Jay Gatsby to the gruesome
    murder at the climatic ending. There is a multitude of deep characters you
    will run into through out this novel like Nick Carraway and his presumed love
    Miss Jordan Baker, along with Gatsby's lost love Daisy Buchanan. Then there is
    Gatsby's house, one of the mysteries of the story, with all of it's illustrious
    parties. Finally it will tell you a little about the human nature.

The story begins with the book being told as the memory of one Nick
    Carraway and his encounters with Jay Gatsby (aka James Gatz). Gatsby is a
    enigmatic character that no one really knows much about who holds immense get
    togethers at his home for hundred of guests at a time until he runs into his
    lost love, who sense has been married, who's husband dispenses false
    information to a man named George Wilson who intern kills Mr. Gatsby. The
    ending of this novel is kind of sorrowful in a touching way. This is due to
    the in depth creation of characters the author portrayed.

The most in depth character of all is Mr. Jay Gatsby in this novel. He
    is left a very obscure individual and much is not known about him until he
    reveals it to Nick. One thing Tom Buchanan finds out about Gatsby is the he is
    a swindler and that is how he has amassed his fortune. The main character is
    Nick Carraway a man who objectively stays the same through out the whole book,
    keeping his friendship with Gatsby to the very end. This book wouldn't be the
    same if not for the Giant house that Gatsby lived in.

Most of the novel takes place at Mr. Gatsby's grand mansion in East Egg,
    New York. This mansion just adds to the mystery about Gatsby and were he got
    all of his money from. This huge home was perfect for holding giant parties
    every weekend for hundreds of guests, and soon became the "in" place to go.
    Without Gatsby's house the story would just not have been the same.

Even in the title you can tell that Gatsby is a somewhat secretive man
    and is really just a partial fabrication. After reading this book it makes you
    realize that often people are put into situations that they would much like to
    avoid. Also, it show the whimsical nature society has towards figures such as
    Gatsby. In conclusion, it was a very good book especially the climatic ending
    with the murder of Mr. Jay Gatsby.

Introduction- This story takes place in a state called Oceania. The main
    characters introduced are Winston Smith who is a worker on one of the four
    branches of government on Oceania. This four branches are “The Ministry of Truth”
    where they falsificate or remove all past documents such as books, newspapers,
    magazines, records, tapes and anything containing information about the past and
    are rewritten with the “accurate” meaning of whatever the Government (known as “
    Big Brother”) wants it to be. All past records are erased and everyone must
    believe what the new ones say or else they are caught by the Thought Police. The
    Thought Police are a group of modern people who are like the police of our time
    except that this police can see you every single second of your life through
    special devices that look like T.V.'s called Telescreens. This Telescreens are
    placed in the houses of people, outside buildings, parks, walls, anywhere they
    could be put and are always turned on. The Telescreens are constantly giving you
    information of the wars won and also telling you what to do and always watching
    every movement you do, no expressions are admitted in Oceania other than hatred
    or the one “Big Brother” tells you to. The second branch is called “The Ministry
    of Love” where people were punished, tortured and were taught to hate each other.
    The third branch is called “The Ministry of Plenty” where economic affairs were
    handled, they decided who got how much of something almost always being too
    little of a ration. The last branch is called “The Ministry of Peace” which
    handled all the war affairs such as where the next bomb they launched would hit
    and who they needed to destroy next. Big Brother had a slogan that read “WAR IS
    PEACE”, “FREEDOM IS SLAVERY” and “IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH”. Winston worked in the
    Ministry of truth where he's job was to rewrite the news on the newspaper called
    Times. Another character is O'Brien who helps Winston love Big Brother for
    Winston hated Big Brother. Julia is the girl that falls in love (which is a very
    big crime) with Winston. Katharine is Winston's wife though he hasn't seen her
    for three years. Eastasia and Eurasia are the two other states fighting for
    power with Oceania. The proles are the only people who are not controlled so
    much by Big Brother, they act as we do and can have their own believes, thoughts,
    feelings or anything they feel like. Emmanuel Goldstein is the boss of an
    underground brotherhood that wants to destroy Big Brother.

Conflict- There are uncountable conflicts on this novel but the main one is the
    struggle of Winston to disobey Big Brother and try to rebel against it and
    destroy it trying to bring back the original past of mankind.

Climax- The climax of this story is when Winston and Julia join this secret
    brotherhood commanded by Emmanuel Goldstein who's sole purpose is to destroy Big
    Brother by opening the eyes of people by a secret book that didn't have a name,
    it was just called “the book” which contained the beliefs of Emmanuel as to what
    Big Brother was doing.

Falling Action- The falling action here is when after Winston and Julia have sex
    in their own little hiding place which was a room who they rented from Mr.
    Charrington (who was really O'Brien in disguise) in a place where the proles
    lived, the Thought Police, commanded by O'Brien catch them and takes them to the
    Ministry of love where they are punished, humiliated and are made to confess
    everything and anything that they ever knew while being tortured by O'Brien.
    Winston betrays everything he loved by punishment and is made to betray everyone
    and everything he believed in by facing his greatest terror which is rats.

Conclusion- The conclusion is that after a few months or years of rehabilitation,
    Winston is taught to obey Big Brother and love him even though his mind tells
    him otherwise and he also has to learn how to control his mind to suit whatever
    Big Brother says is true or not such as 2+2 being 5 and not 4, and he knew it
    was 5 because Big Brother said so and there was no proof of it being incorrect.
    After he gets rehabilitated they send him off out of the Ministry of love and is
    killed by a bullet that enters his head and finally at the end he knows that he
    now loved Big Brother even though Big Brother had killed him for he never
    betrayed Big Brother after his rehabilitation.

The two main characters in 1984 are Winston Smith and Julia. Winston has his beliefs. It is very hard to make him believe in someone else's ideas or lies. He is a little paranoid about people watching him. In the story 1984, people can be watched through TVs (telescreens). Because of this paranoia, he found a place in his apartment were he could sit without being seen. He spends much of his time sitting in this corner writing in his diary. In his diary, he writes things that could easily have him killed. Winston is a quiet person who has a few friends. He has a strong feeling about how the world is and a stronger feeling about how it should be.
    Here is my example from the book that shows Winston's character:
    "Just now I held up the fingers of my hand to you. You saw five fingers. Do you remember that?"
    "Yes."
    O'Brien held up the fingers of his left hand, with the thumb concealed.
    "There are five fingers there. Do you see five fingers?"
    "Yes."
    And he did see them, for a fleeting instant, before the scenery of his mind changed. He saw five fingers, and there was no deformity. Then everything was normal again, and the old fear, the hatred and the bewilderment came crowding back again. But there had been a moment - he did not know how long, thirty seconds, perhaps - of luminous certainty, when each new suggestion of O'Brien's had filled up a patch of emptiness and had become absolute truth, and when two and two could have been three as easily as five, if that were what was needed. It had faded out before O'Brien had dropped his hand; but though he could not recapture it, he could remember it, as one remembers a vivid experience at some remote period of one's life when one was in effect a different person.
    Earlier in that section O'Brien had tortured him into believing two plus two equals five.
    Julia's feelings are not nearly as strong as Winston's. She is somewhat sneaky, and she is very good at eluding The Thought Police. Julia is quiet, and she likes to think of the future and the past rather than the present. She enjoys small things that are old and simple. Julia is somewhat interested in the way the world is turning. She enjoys nature and animals.
    Here is my example from the book that shows Julia's character:
    She fell to her knees, threw open the bag and tumbled out some spanners and a screwdriver that filled the top part of it. Underneath was number of neat paper packets. The first packet that she passed to Winston had a strange and yet familiar feelings. It was filled with some kind of heavy, sand-like stuff which yielded wherever you touched it.
    "It isn't sugar?" he said.
    "Real sugar. Not saccharine, sugar. And here's a loaf of bread - proper white bread, not our bloody stuff - and a little pot of jam. And here's a tin of milk - but look! This is the one I'm really proud of. I had to wrap a bit of sacking round it, because---"
    But she did not have to tell him why she had wrapped it up. The smell was already filling the room, a rich hot smell which seemed like an emanation from his early childhood, but which one did occasionally meet with even now, blowing down a passage-way before a door slammed, or diffusing itself mysteriously in a crowded street, sniffed for an instant and then lost again.
    "It's coffee," she murmured, "real coffee."
    Julia had more interesting things in her bag after the coffee, this example shows her interest in old and simple things.
    If Winston had a flat tire, he would probably sit in his car for a while. After maybe one half hour, he would get out of the car and deal with it. When he was dealing with it, he would not think about the work very much. Winston would definitely write a lot about it in his diary.
    In 1984, all the dish washing is done by the cooks. If Winston had to do the dishes, he would probably not be very good at it. He would take a long time. He probably would not break very many dishes. If he had the option to use a dishwasher, he would definitely do it. Winston would probably have a few dishes that he liked using and would use only them. Before he met Julia, he would eat without much appetite and was skinny.
    If Winston were faced with a bully, he would react with anger. After his first reaction, he would look the person over. If he thought the person were stronger, he would become afraid and sulky. Winston would begin to tell the person that he was right, in hope of escaping pain. Winston does not like trouble; but if he has to deal with it, he does it with force.
    If Winston had to go grocery shopping, he would be as quick as possible. He would probably not do the best possible job, and he would probably forget things. Winston would not use any coupons or go to certain stores because they were cheaper. He would not enjoy shopping. Winston would try to get other people to do the shopping for him.

(I got more 1984 if you need some)

Aldous Huxley's Brave New World presents a portrait of a society which is superficially a perfect world. At first inspection, it seems perfect in many ways: it is carefree, problem free and depression free. All aspects of the population are controlled: number, social class, and intellectual ability are all carefully regulated. Even history is controlled and rewritten to meet the needs of the party. Stability must be maintained at all costs.

In the new world which Huxley creates, if there is even a hint of anger, the wonder drug Soma is prescribed to remedy the problem. A colleague, noticing your depression, would chime in with the chant, "one cubic centimetre of soma cures ten gloomy." This slogan is taught to everyone, from the youngest to the oldest. Unhappiness, intellectual curiosity, disagreement, suffering - none of these feelings is allowed in the world which Huxley creates. At the first sign of unhappiness, Soma is prescribed. Emotions of all types are strictly controlled to provide stability and predictability within the population.

Another of the panaceas for social ills is the belief that everyone would enjoy his or her work because he or she was "made" or trained for it when young. Consequently, from birth, everyone in Brave New World is slotted to belong to a specific social and intellectual strata. In conjunction with this idea, all births are completely planned and monitored. There are different classes of people with different intelligence and different "career plans." The social order was divided into the most highly educated, the Alpha+, and then in descending intelligence, the following divisions: Alpha, Beta, Beta -, Gamma, Delta, and Epsilon, which is the last group comprised of those citizens of the lowest intelligence who are necessary to perform society's most menial jobs.

Another of the problems with the society which Huxley depicts is that the people do not have individuality. They are all conditioned by subliminal messages and artificial stimuli to respond the same way. Although all people are meant to respond identically without thinking, a few are made 'imperfectly' and, as a result, do have personalities. These people violate the principles of technology and artificial personalities and consequently have to be sent away so as not to "contaminate" others. To maintain order in Brave New World, the Resident Controller must have complete authority over more than just the present; he must also have influence over the past. In order to be able to achieve this, he must be able to rewrite history. This gives rise to one of the most famous quotation from Brave New World, "All history is bunk." The ability to rewrite or "edit" history is not so far distant from our current technological society. A simple stroke of the computer keyboard can make a global change in information disseminated on a network or to thousands of electronic bulletin board subscribers. Being able to distinguish the true from the false is becoming increasingly difficult. Brave New World focuses constantly on the question of whether technology requires a sacrifice of human individuality. In this novel the reader is keenly aware of the dangers that homogeneity poses to the quality of life. People may enjoy life with technological advances, but if they are required to forfeit individual personalities or interpretations about life, Huxley makes us see that life will become meaningless.

In comparison to 1984, Brave New World makes the technology less obvious to the members of the society themselves. The characters in Brave New World participate willingly in their manipulation by the government. They happily take the wonder drug Soma, "the wonder drug." In contrast, in 1984 the people seem to sense they are being controlled by Big Brother, but here the domination is imposed on them by the government.

I also have more brave new world shit. Please be specific on what type of essays because i do have essays on themes and shit for the books.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123