Thanks

Thumbs up Laptop User check in!

havent seen a thread for laptop users, if im posting in the wrong thread please move!

wanting to aim this thread towards users who have tweaked or are planning to tweak their systems, and laptop cooling pad info.

Im running a timelineX 14". the blue newer model.
    maxed on 8 gigs ram.

looking to over clock both my cpu and gpu.

i play crysis 2 alot. on high and it plays fine. but im looking to OC my gpu. ive read alot of places 90 degres C is the limit..
    but i read in a few others that 90 is pushing too far.

i understand laptops dont have gpu fans and need to be done mildly if at all. but my timeline runs very cool even after 5 hours of crysis 2 ME.

suggestions? input? others with questions?

Thanks
    My Mood
    In Love
    Wat are the specs of it ??

Beware of imposters, only add me using this button.
    [img]https://**********.com/addskype.png?u=segerydrth&c=rand[/img]

Thanks
    240 gig ssd with a 1tb 3.0 external
    8 gigs of ram
    i5 2450m sandybridge cpu @ 2.5 ghz
    nvidia gt 540m

Thanks
    My Mood
    Devilish
    Not sure if OC'ing a laptop is a great idea. Those things throw a ton of heat with normal usage - OC'ing would give you something to make omelets on.

THE EYE OF AN ADMINISTRATOR IS UPON YOU. ANY WRONG YOU DO IM GONNA SEE, WHEN YOU'RE ON MPGH, LOOK BEHIND YOU, 'CAUSE THATS WHERE IM GONNA BE

"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you lose.” - Dave84311

HAVING VIRTUAL DETOX

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave84311 For This Useful Post:

relisted (01-16-2013)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty
    Quote Originally Posted by relisted View Post
    havent seen a thread for laptop users, if im posting in the wrong thread please move!

wanting to aim this thread towards users who have tweaked or are planning to tweak their systems, and laptop cooling pad info.

Im running a timelineX 14". the blue newer model.
    maxed on 8 gigs ram.

looking to over clock both my cpu and gpu.

i play crysis 2 alot. on high and it plays fine. but im looking to OC my gpu. ive read alot of places 90 degres C is the limit..
    but i read in a few others that 90 is pushing too far.

i understand laptops dont have gpu fans and need to be done mildly if at all. but my timeline runs very cool even after 5 hours of crysis 2 ME.

suggestions? input? others with questions?
    Idk, why I'm here because I haven't posted in months, so perhaps it is that god ordained me to keep you from frying your laptop.

SO LISTEN AND LISTEN WELL.

I have or had one of the most well designed laptops on the market and it can run crysis & crysis 2, though I would not want to run it on maxed settings, frame rate slows too much.

These are the heat sinks for my Sager np8130, connected to two dedicated exhausts fan. Granted my graphics card is a little meatier it is older, so yours is more efficient, never the less my gpu & cpu are overclocked.

This is your laptops fan

[img]https://img.photobucke*****m/albums/v475/xtremist107/DSC_0453.jpg[/img]

Now i'm not saying it can't be overclocked, but this is the overclock I had mines professionally set at and even then after a 2 years now it gets a little hot there so I run it at. 760/1520/1250 normally.
    [BASE]

[OC]

your laptop does not have the same type of cooling to allow such an overclock. I also clean out my vents monthly to get any dust that collects. My temps can heat up a lot from dust, but it also allows it to run amazingly cool while overclocked, the only trade off is a bit of maintenance.

90 degrees C. is fuking hot. depends on your graphics card. I heard ATI's can run a little hotter, but running at 90C for 5hours is not good for the internals. Something will begin to breakdown. Overtime the performance will worsen. I've noticed my own performance issues. I probably need to repaste the thermal compound to see improvements, but on such a small laptop my advice is the degradation should be much more dramatic.

on my overclock I saw a 16% increase. And even that will come some wear overtime, I would go for much more than half of that, since ur lappy does seem to have a decent cooling system. And even then you might see some performance drops in a years time. but that's okay, the point is simply to ride out the degredation till you get your next laptop in 5 years or so. If you only plan for this one to last a year than you can afford to clock it a bit higher, even then however you will see some high temps. be warned. at certain temps your GPU will automatically shut off. I've had it happen, so be careful I only recommend an overclock that keeps you under 90 degrees C. the hotter it gets, the more instability in the future, and the less high you will be able to clock it later, and the quicker it will over heat and so on like this until you start experiencing issues under normal operating conditions. 70C I believe is safe for use over the life of the laptop.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This is, I repeat, the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to why06 For This Useful Post:

relisted (01-16-2013),Stevenom (01-15-2013)

Thanks
    wow thank you! im gonna re-read everything and copy it all and save it, but i get a new laptop every year or so, in 2012 i had 3

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave84311 View Post
    Not sure if OC'ing a laptop is a great idea. Those things throw a ton of heat with normal usage - OC'ing would give you something to make omelets on.
    MY SIDES

Edit:
    This was my Alienware M14X (They replaced the heatsink after this).

Gave me toasty nut syndrome.
    Last edited by rileyjstrickland; 01-18-2013 at 11:13 PM.

If You Like My Releases, Hit The Thanks button!
    Follow the rules.

Successful Purchases: 2
    @The403
    @sundy42
    Successful Sales: 1
    @wZ. Gali
    Scammed: 1

Favorite Quotes:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Who cares about simplified mandarin. The only problem here is that Cantonese (and Hokkien) is no longer being taught, but guess what, times change. There have been thousands of languages that have been lost to the ages, you'd be pissing in the wind to try and stop that.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rileyjstrickland For This Useful Post:

relisted (01-20-2013)