Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Busy
    Quote Originally Posted by XiAtomikiX View Post
    lol again u assume i made this to be professional my copy is coded alot better but why edit the open source project for people to just Copy and Paste hello its called using ur damn head instead of being spoon fed.

Btw apparantly u have a really bad job if you think this is hard to figure out. Trying learning the code that me and a team of 4 people have coded using c++ as a backend and Python for the UI on a web based app for our LMS at work.

now that was hard to be added to a team and have to learn their ways.
    but hey being a Software Engineer i dont complain b.c i make a good salary
    No one can say that your project has a problem... You have to be always right...

You failed to name your controls in a proper way.. accept it for christ sake.
    And he is right, its a pain in the ass when you have to mantain code from someone who wrote all the variables with something like 'k','L','M' (this happened to me before). If you never really faced this kind of stuff, I find hard to believe on your awesome job...
    Light travels faster than sound. That's why most people seem bright until you hear them speak.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cold
    @OP just stop dude. It's a bunch of built-in windows controls. Nothing 'new' or even remotely complicated. It looks nice, but that's it. It's a cool project, but stop.

Next project..re-name each control as you put it on the form don't wait until the end so it's not 800 at once.

lbl for label, txt for textbox, cmd/btn for button, etc etc. It will help you just as much as it helps us :/ The only reason it doesn't *really* matter is because it's such a simple project.
    Last edited by abuckau907; 01-23-2013 at 02:38 PM.
    'Some things that can be counted, don't matter. And some things that matter, can't be counted' - A.E.
    --

My posts have some inaccuracies/are wrong/wrong keyword(s) used.
    They're (maybe) pretty close, and I hope they helped you, not created confusion. Take with grain of salt.

-if you give rep, please leave a comment, else it means less.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    lol again u assume i made this to be professional my copy is coded alot better but why edit the open source project for people to just Copy and Paste hello its called using ur damn head instead of being spoon fed.

Btw apparantly u have a really bad job if you think this is hard to figure out. Trying learning the code that me and a team of 4 people have coded using c++ as a backend and Python for the UI on a web based app for our LMS at work.

You sound like an ignorant, self-absorbed prick.
    Honestly, I personally never fucking liked this application, and I never said anything because I decided to be nice, but after reading some of your posts, I'm done.

Here is what I think is absolute shit in this program:
    Theme
    Stolen Controls (.net bar, don't say you designed them either, the standard .net bar control is buttonx, labelx, etc.)
    Clunky layout
    Also on the terms of layout, Awkward Layout
    Bad Code (messy)
    You think you've made something amazing*
    "Replacement/Organizer" for Desktop (Why use this and search though lists of items, when I can just do right click -> sort by -> name. I also personally prefer the standard layout for desktops.)

*Anyone with a few hours time (at most), and a decent to lower level of coding skills could make this.

These are just the things I could SEE wrong with it, I haven't even run it yet. For all I know, it could be really slow and un-optimized.
    / rage

Just food for thought, people can decompile any .Net/C# application.

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 PM ----------

Also, if you're a software engineer, then I might as-well skip collage, because from looking at this, I'm a much better programmer than you. I can (at least 99% of the time, even with encrypted/obfusticated programs) follow the standards for naming controls/variables. Personally, this is something I might have made, several years ago.

If this is professional now, I'm appalled.
    I'm 16, and completely self taught. I know that I don't know everything, but damn, I know when to accept the fact that I screwed up on something as simple as naming my controls.
    (Also acting like a child and going "not my problem" will make your software engineering career quite short.)
    Last edited by rileyjstrickland; 01-23-2013 at 05:19 PM.

If You Like My Releases, Hit The Thanks button!
    Follow the rules.

Successful Purchases: 2
    @The403
    @sundy42
    Successful Sales: 1
    @wZ. Gali
    Scammed: 1

Favorite Quotes:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Who cares about simplified mandarin. The only problem here is that Cantonese (and Hokkien) is no longer being taught, but guess what, times change. There have been thousands of languages that have been lost to the ages, you'd be pissing in the wind to try and stop that.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow

Oh good lord, where do I begin? If you're a qualified Software Engineer, there is no hope for the industry. The point of writing code in a professional development is NOT to say things like "Here I have some code, but good luck figuring it out trololololol", that shit gets you fired. If you were any sort of Software Engineer you would know the value of writing readable, maintainable code is one of the most important parts of the job. There's no point writing some awesome application if no-one else can figure out what the hell you were doing (not because of lack of programming language, but due to poor coding style on your behalf). You're not going to be around forever and it's likely that some of your applications will outlast your own lifetime at the company (especially if you're a contractor), it then becomes someone else's responsibility to maintain and upgrade the application.

I do not think your code is "hard" to figure out; the application is simple as shit. However, your coding style is awful and I'd rather not spend the time having to tab between the UI and the codebase trying to figure out what "Button184" does.

Quote Originally Posted by XiAtomikiX
    Do you even know what Open Source is? Do you see Google writing unreadable code in their Open Source V8 engine so as not to "spoon feed noobs"? No.
    Open source - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Read up son.
    Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    In production and development, open source is a philosophy, or pragmatic methodology that promotes free redistribution and access to an end product's design and implementation details

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy S. Anderson
    There are only two things to come out of Berkley, Unix and LSD,
    and I don’t think this is a coincidence
    You can win the rat race,
    But you're still nothing but a fucking RAT.

++Latest Projects++
    [Open Source] Injection Library
    Simple PE Cipher
    FilthyHooker - Simple Hooking Class
    CLR Injector - Inject .NET dlls with ease
    Simple Injection - An in-depth look
    MPGH's .NET SDK
    eJect - Simple Injector
    Basic PE Explorer (BETA)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason For This Useful Post:

DawgiiStylz (01-23-2013)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cold
    "Here I have some code, but good luck figuring it out trololololol" pretty much sums it up. Other than that we're all being way too harsh.
    (and don't lie: you don't have a 2nd version of the project)

Visually, it's better than what I'd do (but I'm a coder, not graphics), so ++ for that.
    Code wise: Most is pretty ''standard'' stuff, common sense really. Thanks for the upload, but don't act like it's pure hidden gold, most of this stuff, aside from the "tile"ing, is pretty basic 1 liner stuff. 50% of the code is StartSomeProcess(name.exe).

The fact that you uploaded it so others could learn: awesome.
    The fact that variable (that includes gui controls!) names are non-suggestive is almost unforgivable lol, seriously, it's cryptic..basically as bad as if you'd mangled the names on purpose. When I want to update the local ip addr label, I have to open form 1 and check what it is..seriously? At that point hopefully i'd rename it lblLocalIP or something very similar.

jas - I'd say 'technically' uploading the entire project/files qualifies as being open source(even if provides no edu. value)

Sorry to kill your thread. Hopefully we all learned [i]something[/b] from it. ?
    Last edited by abuckau907; 01-23-2013 at 09:48 PM.
    'Some things that can be counted, don't matter. And some things that matter, can't be counted' - A.E.
    --

They're (maybe) pretty close, and I hope they helped you, not created confusion. Take with grain of salt.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Quote Originally Posted by abuckau907 View Post
    jas - I'd say 'technically' uploading the entire project/files qualifies as being open source(even if provides no edu. value)
    There's a few differences between "Publically available code" and an actual "Open Source Project". But yeah, not worth the argument anymore.

++Latest Projects++
    Simple PE Cipher
    MPGH's .NET SDK
    eJect - Simple Injector
    Basic PE Explorer (BETA)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Doh
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post

Why should I let them win :3 They're a minority, but when the time comes around and I get asked to fix something broken that a down syndrome spastic donkey coded, it's not pleasant.
    The problem with you is that you can't stay calm. I mean there's no need to offend him.

Thanks
    all i can say to all this is WOw I love that because im not that good at VB means im a bad engineer lol Since when does a software Engineer use VB? Never i might add our entire dept uses c++,C#,Java, and Python.
    Which is what we are best at. i have been trying to learn VB and learned alot and shared my learning with others. And For your information show me somewhere where or when someone posted something about a Media Center App using VB. ... Huh whats that you cant? yeh thats right there isnt one. Why b.c VB sucks when it comes to streaming Content. I utilized this to see where it want nuff said. The program was not designed to be professional it was a Test Project lol.
    If i accomplished what i wanted to I was planning on writing the code professional but during my research i found DirectX with C++ is a much better way and decided to stick with what i knew.

Sorry if im not a god like the other coders that are here. Unlike you guys im not 16 and I have a real job.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cold
    'never'. piss off.
    @ ლ(ಠ_ಠლ) [strike]now[/strike] op's being rude. / { "I mean there's no need to [publicly] offend him." }

edit:

@ OP - "our entire dept uses c++,C#,Java, and Python." , and which of these are you most proficient at? I'm curious.
    "Sorry if im not a god like the other coders that are here. Unlike you guys im not 16 and I have a real job."
    ^^it took you longer by not re-naming the labels. enough said.
    Last edited by abuckau907; 01-24-2013 at 02:37 PM.
    --

Thanks
    My Mood
    Tired
    Thas MPGH for ya

Thanks
    My Mood
    Busy
    Quote Originally Posted by DawgiiStylz View Post
    Thas MPGH for ya
    And last time you were agreeing with him... geez...
    Light travels faster than sound. That's why most people seem bright until you hear them speak.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Tired
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Bruno View Post

And last time you were agreeing with him... geez...
    Idk what you're talking about

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    all i can say to all this is WOw I love that because im not that good at VB means im a bad engineer lol Since when does a software Engineer use VB? Never i might add our entire dept uses c++,C#,Java, and Python.
    Which is what we are best at. i have been trying to learn VB and learned alot and shared my learning with others. And For your information show me somewhere where or when someone posted something about a Media Center App using VB. ... Huh whats that you cant? yeh thats right there isnt one. Why b.c VB sucks when it comes to streaming Content. I utilized this to see where it want nuff said. The program was not designed to be professional it was a Test Project lol.
    If i accomplished what i wanted to I was planning on writing the code professional but during my research i found DirectX with C++ is a much better way and decided to stick with what i knew.

Sorry if im not a god like the other coders that are here. Unlike you guys im not 16 and I have a real job.
    I'm about to blow your mind.
    C# and VB are almost the exact same, other than Syntax. I can literally take a C# project and convert it to VB online. (If I didn't know C#.) Also I believe XNA has DX 10/11 (Not 100% Sure) Support. (XNA works for C# and VB as of 4.0)
    And about streaming media, just use the built in WMP (or build your own.), the WMP is 100% as good as the one on your system. (They're the exact same! )
    Also, there is no such thing as a better language. Each has pros and cons. Personally I feel like C++ is a huge waste of time (programming in, NOT learning, it's a great learning language), unless you're making a game or some other type of program that uses DX or needs low level access. (Such as inline Assembly.) This is due to the fact that is takes a lot more time to write, debug, and package something in C++ than it would take in VB/C# (VB is actually the shortest in most cases with C# after, then C++)[1]

On a final note, you're insult on age is plain ignorant. Someone's age doesn't sum up their skill., and many of us have or had a job at one point in time.

[1] On MDSN Examples.
    Last edited by rileyjstrickland; 01-24-2013 at 07:18 PM.

If You Like My Releases, Hit The Thanks button!
    Follow the rules.

Successful Purchases: 2
    @The403
    @sundy42
    Successful Sales: 1
    @wZ. Gali
    Scammed: 1

Favorite Quotes:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Who cares about simplified mandarin. The only problem here is that Cantonese (and Hokkien) is no longer being taught, but guess what, times change. There have been thousands of languages that have been lost to the ages, you'd be pissing in the wind to try and stop that.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Quote Originally Posted by rileyjstrickland View Post
    I'm about to blow your mind.
    C# and VB are almost the exact same, other than Syntax. I can literally take a C# project and convert it to VB online. (If I didn't know C#.) Also I believe XNA has DX 10/11 (Not 100% Sure) Support. (XNA works for C# and VB as of 4.0)
    And about streaming media, just use the built in WMP (or build your own.), the WMP is 100% as good as the one on your system. (They're the exact same! )
    Also, there is no such thing as a better language. Each has pros and cons. Personally I feel like C++ is a huge waste of time (programming in, NOT learning, it's a great learning language), unless you're making a game or some other type of program that uses DX or needs low level access. (Such as inline Assembly.) This is due to the fact that is takes a lot more time to write, debug, and package something in C++ than it would take in VB/C# (VB is actually the shortest in most cases with C# after, then C++)[1]

On a final note, you're insult on age is plain ignorant. Someone's age doesn't sum up their skill., and many of us have or had a job at one point in time.

[1] On MDSN Examples.
    Hate to nitpick but C# and VB are not exactly the same. There are a few things you can do in C# that have no counterpart in VB.NET. Pretty much everything(?) that can be done in VB.NET can be done in C#, but not the other way around.

++Latest Projects++
    Simple PE Cipher
    MPGH's .NET SDK
    eJect - Simple Injector
    Basic PE Explorer (BETA)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cold
    I figure in the end it's all 0's and 1's so anything c# (or c++ for that matter) can do, vb.net can do. Maybe not easily, but to get the final result. maybe (?)
    --

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast