Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks

New evidence of our existence!

Physicists May Have Evidence Universe Is A Computer Simulation

Physicists say they may have evidence that the universe is a computer simulation.

How? They made a computer simulation of the universe. And it looks sort of like us.

A long-proposed thought experiment, put forward by both philosophers and popular culture, points out that any civilisation of sufficient size and intelligence would eventually create a simulation universe if such a thing were possible.

And since there would therefore be many more simulations (within simulations, within simulations) than real universes, it is therefore more likely than not that our world is artificial.

Now a team of researchers at the University of Bonn in Germany led by Silas Beane say they have evidence this may be true.

In a paper named 'Constraints on the Universe as a Numerical Simulation', they point out that current simulations of the universe - which do exist, but which are extremely weak and small - naturally put limits on physical laws.

Technology Review explains that "the problem with all simulations is that the laws of physics, which appear continuous, have to be superimposed onto a discrete three dimensional lattice which advances in steps of time."

What that basically means is that by just being a simulation, the computer would put limits on, for instance, the energy that particles can have within the program.

These limits would be experienced by those living within the sim - and as it turns out, something which looks just like these limits do in fact exist.

For instance, something known as the Greisen-Zatsepin-Kuzmin, or GZK cut off, is an apparent boundary of the energy that cosmic ray particles can have. This is caused by interaction with cosmic background radiation. But Beane and co's paper argues that the pattern of this rule mirrors what you might expect from a computer simulation.

Naturally, at this point the science becomes pretty tricky to wade through - and we would advise you read the paper itself to try and get the full detail of the idea.

But the basic impression is an intriguing one.

Like a prisoner in a pitch-black cell, we may never be able to see the 'walls' of our prison -- but through physics we may be able to reach out and touch them.

WHAT THE FUCK
    Find my latest releases on my YT:

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HalfBajan For This Useful Post:

[N.I]Maschine (03-02-2013)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Stressed
    Mind=Blown.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by iTzSeyeko™ View Post
    Mind=Blown.
    It just pretty much ruins everything......
    Find my latest releases on my YT:

Thanks
    this has been posted before somewhere i think

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Physicists say they may have evidence that the universe is a computer simulation.

How? They made a computer simulation of the universe. And it looks sort of like us.

A long-proposed thought experiment, put forward by both philosophers and popular culture, points out that any civilisation of sufficient size and intelligence would eventually create a simulation universe if such a thing were possible.

And since there would therefore be many more simulations (within simulations, within simulations) than real universes, it is therefore more likely than not that our world is artificial.

Now a team of researchers at the University of Bonn in Germany led by Silas Beane say they have evidence this may be true.

In a paper named 'Constraints on the Universe as a Numerical Simulation', they point out that current simulations of the universe - which do exist, but which are extremely weak and small - naturally put limits on physical laws.

Technology Review explains that "the problem with all simulations is that the laws of physics, which appear continuous, have to be superimposed onto a discrete three dimensional lattice which advances in steps of time."

What that basically means is that by just being a simulation, the computer would put limits on, for instance, the energy that particles can have within the program.

These limits would be experienced by those living within the sim - and as it turns out, something which looks just like these limits do in fact exist.

For instance, something known as the Greisen-Zatsepin-Kuzmin, or GZK cut off, is an apparent boundary of the energy that cosmic ray particles can have. This is caused by interaction with cosmic background radiation. But Beane and co's paper argues that the pattern of this rule mirrors what you might expect from a computer simulation.

Naturally, at this point the science becomes pretty tricky to wade through - and we would advise you read the paper itself to try and get the full detail of the idea.

Like a prisoner in a pitch-black cell, we may never be able to see the 'walls' of our prison -- but through physics we may be able to reach out and touch them.

MIND RAPED

Thanks
    My Mood
    Bashful
    Quote Originally Posted by -MAJ View Post

MIND RAPED

Question.

Why did you copy and past the article/thread and post it.
    PM Me | VM Me | Rules

MARGHERITA

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Margherita For This Useful Post:

HalfBajan (03-02-2013)

Thanks
    THEY'RE TROLLING US .

10. The Following User Says Thank You to iTzSeyeko™JR #1 For This Useful Post:

[N.I]Maschine (03-02-2013)

Thanks
    *sigh*

Kids. Can barely expect them the be able to think about this type of stuff, which is why it is such news to everyone.

As it stands, our understanding of the world around us, and our actually physical limitations of knowledge, its quite possible humanity will never know where it came from. Trust, hanging out with stoners and kids on acid/MDMA can lead to some considerably more entertaining ideas about where we came from.

Theories like we are pets or an experiment from aliens, tiny, inconceivable parts of a larger universe, manifestations of a higher being's mind, elaborate toys in the hands of some greater purpose not yet known to us, etc etc.
    Texture Mods

Obedear, the sky is low

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Of course computer simulations of the universe will end up looking similar to our universe. That's an inherent fault in the design conditions. If the simulation generated a universe dissimilar to ours it would be dismissed marked as faulty and the simulation will be edited over and over until the result is satisfying. The premise for such a theory is fucking laughable.
    THE ABSOLUTE GREATEST

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

[MPGH]Austin (03-02-2013),DawgiiStylz (03-02-2013),Lehsyrus (03-02-2013),HalfBajan (03-02-2013)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Of course computer simulations of the universe will end up looking similar to our universe. That's an inherent fault in the design conditions. If the simulation generated a universe dissimilar to ours it would be dismissed marked as faulty and the simulation will be edited over and over until the result is satisfying. The premise for such a theory is fucking laughable.
    I feel like the bigger issue would be the parameters of the sim. Its difficult to see how a universe would turn out with intelligent being when the universe was set up by beings with their limitations of how they could direct the universe. To really find out if the idea would be true, we would need to observe a universe that is not effected by ours in any way. You know, the whole quantum physics thing 'observing something changes it'.
    Texture Mods

Obedear, the sky is low

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Quote Originally Posted by Heartview View Post
    I feel like the bigger issue would be the parameters of the sim. Its difficult to see how a universe would turn out with intelligent being when the universe was set up by beings with their limitations of how they could direct the universe. To really find out if the idea would be true, we would need to observe a universe that is not effected by ours in any way. You know, the whole quantum physics thing 'observing something changes it'.
    That's the jist of it. The more input we enter into a simulation, the more limited it becomes, and the less "accurate" the end result is. With little amount we know (certain things possibly being incorrect), we are incapable of judging the correct parameters for creating a universe and it's associated behaviour, just imputing what already may know just results in a biased simulation. It would be near impossible with current knowledge and technology to create a near representation of creating a unique universe and it's development. Hate to say it but it's akin to the creationists argument that we simply comprehend the creation of the universe. The difference is that we are getting there, but experiments like this really don't offer much value other than improving upon future simulations. I find most experiments of this kind try too hard at recreating the universe rather than attempting to create a completely fresh scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Lehsyrus View Post

We lump things we do not understand into physical references. We do not understand how this universe truly came to be in concrete stance, so we attempt to ease our minds by referencing it with something we know is true, electronics. It's in-the-box thinking and I refuse to acknowledge it.
    It's like trying to visualize what aliens look like, and just giving them a face and limbs.
    Last edited by Doc; 03-02-2013 at 06:31 PM.
    THE ABSOLUTE GREATEST

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

Lehsyrus (03-02-2013)

People aren't against you;
    They are for themselves

Former Staff
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Tired
    WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK?
    Please contact me through PM, I rarely check MPGH IM

MPGH Minion+ 2/5/2019 - 12/1/2020
    Call of Duty Minion 12/23/2017 - 12/1/2020
    MPGH Minion 12/23/2017 - 2/5/2019
    MPGH Minion+ 2/2/2016 - 8/9/2016
    NewsForce Writer 1/1/2016 - 8/9/2016
    CockSucker 7/24/2015 - 7/25/2015
    Other Semi-Popular FPS Hacks Minion 12/27/2015 - 8/9/2016
    Combat Arms Minion 11/4/2015 - 8/9/2016
    Maplestory Minion 6/1/15 - 8/9/2016
    League of Legends Minion 6/1/2015 - 8/9/2016
    Other FPS Hacks Minion 5/31/2015 - 8/9/2016
    Minecraft Marketplace Minion 6/18/2015 - 9/15/2015
    Combat Arms Marketplace Minion 4/05/2015 - 6/2/2015
    Marketplace Minion 8/1/2014 - 6/2/2015
    MPGH Minion 8/1/2014 - 2/2/2016

Pharaoh (#7) 5/01/2014 - 5/31/2014
    Premium Member 2/1/2014 - Current
    Official Middle Man 12/12/2013 - 6/2/2015
    Member 11/15/2009 - Current

Thanks
    Only a believable concept by one who is conditioned into a conformed way of thinking.

What's next, black holes are memory leaks? Pfft.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Lehsyrus For This Useful Post:

DawgiiStylz (03-02-2013)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Old stuff is old

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Only a believable concept by one who is conditioned into a conformed way of thinking.
    What about if our "programmers" are actually part of an simulation "programmed" by another "programmer," much like how there was a concept of universe bubbles within our universe, which in fact may be a bubble within an even larger universe
    I know what I'm saying is extremely flawed, but I just want to get your opinions
    Quote Originally Posted by Extravagant View Post
    The problem is that we're people. People are shitty beings, you just gotta keep that in mind.
    "Science is interesting, and if you don't agree you can fuck off." - Richard Dawkins
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

Troll nomination. Allah and Muhammad for 1400 years of bullshit.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 666HiddenMaster666 View Post
    Old stuff is old

What about if our "programmers" are actually part of an simulation "programmed" by another "programmer," much like how there was a concept of universe bubbles within our universe, which in fact may be a bubble within an even larger universe
    I know what I'm saying is extremely flawed, but I just want to get your opinions
    We lump things we do not understand into physical references. We do not understand how this universe truly came to be in concrete stance, so we attempt to ease our minds by referencing it with something we know is true, electronics. It's in-the-box thinking and I refuse to acknowledge it.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lehsyrus For This Useful Post:

-MAJ (03-03-2013),DawgiiStylz (03-02-2013),[MPGH]Doc (03-02-2013)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast