Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired

Mainstream Music

Throughout my years of being an audiophile, I've had an ever-growing dislike for mainstream music. Not only for the music itself, but the people who create it, and the mindless sheep who absorb the effortless spew. I present several main points:

Originality-
    It's fairly obvious that all top-selling artists and bands have not a single original idea in their heads. I can tune through a radio and hear the same chords, scales, beats, and time-signatures throughout dozens of so-called "songs". As the main idea of pop music is indeed to make money, rather than music, why should they make the effort? If the thoughtless drones we call the general populace likes something, why not create something exactly like it? These are the main thoughts of these "artists" in their ploy to rip us from our money.

Talent/Effort-
    In today's public of drooling saps, all that is needed is for a "song" to sound good by the untrained ear of the ignorant. A vast majority of top hits today consist of only 2 elements: A Voice, and a Computer. No need for a drummer to practice hours a day for years, we can simply slap a couple buttons. Even if the singer in question does indeed have a good voice, is still takes little to no effort to create most of these songs. In other cases, autotune is pulled in if the artist can't play an instrument OR sing, creating a "good" sound with no effort or talent at all. In addition, today's music has become ever more minimalistic. Why need a Lead Guitarist? Why need a Rhythm Guitarist? Why need a Bassist? Why need a drummer. All of these positions require highly qualified people to properly fill, each of them being incredibly talented.
    Though it seems they are unneeded to entertain the blithering idiots of this Earth.

Musical Writing/Lyrics
    It is also clear that pop music takes little to no musical knowledge to create or perform. It is evident by the incredibly short wait between albums of mainstream artists. They somehow have the ability to release an album, tour for 6 months, then release another album 3 months later. This is due to the incredible lack of effort or musical prowess required to create this music. The lyrics of most popular songs are also atrocious. One prime example is Nicki Minaj's "Stupid Hoe" NICKI MINAJ LYRICS - Stupid Hoe which seems to be penned by an angsty 6 year old. I am not trying to state that one genre is better than the other (though it is), but for pure comparison reasons, here is a death metal song: THE BLACK DAHLIA MURDER LYRICS - Moonlight Equilibrium

I would go further, but I got incredibly bored of typing this up.
    All in all, Pop music blows.

You were seeking strength, justice, splendour.
    You were seeking love.
    Here is the pit, here is your pit.
    Its name is Silence..

Thanks
    Dubstep is the perfect example. Look at pre-Skrillex dubstep, all filthy nasty sounds. Now look at it post-Skrillex, it's like a ****** getting fucked by a robot dildo.

Threadstarter
    She Dreamt She Was a Bulldozer
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Quote Originally Posted by Lehsyrus View Post
    Dubstep is the perfect example. Look at pre-Skrillex dubstep, all filthy nasty sounds. Now look at it post-Skrillex, it's like a ****** getting fucked by a robot dildo.
    ​Dubstep these days is too clean.
    You were seeking love.
    Its name is Silence..

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Aborted For This Useful Post:

I EAT COCK (04-15-2013)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Quote Originally Posted by Aborted View Post
    A vast majority of top hits today consist of only 2 elements: A Voice, and a Computer. No need for a drummer to practice hours a day for years, we can simply slap a couple buttons. Even if the singer in question does indeed have a good voice, is still takes little to no effort to create most of these songs. In addition, today's music has become ever more minimalistic. Why need a Lead Guitarist? Why need a Rhythm Guitarist? Why need a Bassist? Why need a drummer? All of these positions require highly qualified people to properly fill, each of them being incredibly talented.
    Agreed on this in regards to pop. As for other genres such as rock, classical, etc, pieces are remade with computer so that the timing of each instrument playing together from beginning to end are as accurate as possible, unlike ones performed by a group of people which are milliseconds off because of different brains, arms, legs, etc playing the instruments. For this, it all comes down to each person's preference, whether it is precise, clear notes generated by computers or nostalgic, flaws-make-it-more-perfect notes.

All in all, Pop music blows.
    Should have put that in the title, thought you were talking about all genres (though I did doubt myself since I know you don't do that) when I first read the title

​Dubstep these days is too clean.
    I listen to music with clean dubstep because it mixes well with orchestral soundtracks and rock Imo
    Quote Originally Posted by Extravagant View Post
    The problem is that we're people. People are shitty beings, you just gotta keep that in mind.
    "Science is interesting, and if you don't agree you can fuck off." - Richard Dawkins
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

Troll nomination. Allah and Muhammad for 1400 years of bullshit.

Threadstarter
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Quote Originally Posted by 666HiddenMaster666 View Post

Agreed on this in regards to pop. As for other genres such as rock, classical, etc, pieces are remade with computer so that the timing of each instrument playing together from beginning to end are as accurate as possible, unlike ones performed by a group of people which are milliseconds off because of different brains, arms, legs, etc playing the instruments. For this, it all comes down to each person's preference, whether it is precise, clear notes generated by computers or nostalgic, flaws-make-it-more-perfect notes.

Should have put that in the title, thought you were talking about all genres (though I did doubt myself since I know you don't do that) when I first read the title

I listen to music with clean dubstep because it mixes well with orchestral soundtracks and rock Imo
    I consider mainstream and pop one and the same. Though I am indeed talking about all genres, and any music that falls under the "Effortless, talentless, unoriginal" umbrella. I focused mainly on pop as I find it to be the worst offender of all genres in my regards to my main points.

pieces are remade with computer so that the timing of each instrument playing together from beginning to end are as accurate as possible
    ​Though they at least can indeed play the instrument, have the ability to play the piece, and can in addition perform live. As compared to a complete lack of even having that instrument in the mix as found in most mainstream music.
    Last edited by Aborted; 04-13-2013 at 11:37 PM.
    You were seeking love.
    Its name is Silence..

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    .Dubstep is just overrated editing.

Pop is awful as usual(never liked it). Rock nowadays is too pussified. I mean even disturbed is pretty weak sauce, much less other rock bands. Still a few good ones every now and then though.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post
    Rock nowadays is too pussified. I mean even disturbed is pretty weak sauce, much less other rock bands. Still a few good ones every now and then though.
    Opinion on "new" Linkin Park?
    Quote Originally Posted by Extravagant View Post
    The problem is that we're people. People are shitty beings, you just gotta keep that in mind.
    "Science is interesting, and if you don't agree you can fuck off." - Richard Dawkins
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

Troll nomination. Allah and Muhammad for 1400 years of bullshit.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive

Opinion on "new" Linkin Park?
    You mean after transformers? Bleh. I'm not a fan. I'll take my meteora/hybrid theory over this new shit any day.

Don't get me wrong, its not bad, its just not what linkin park was.

Thanks
    The problem is, you have these amazing new genre's that sound absolutely delicious... then someone comes out with a song that sounds all "cute" and peppy and the vast majority of people are like " OH MY GAWD DIZ SO KEWL BRUH HE ORIGINLLLLL".

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Well here is my outlook.

Pop is pop, and it's usually boring. A good example of what I mean is look at all these talent shows out there.
    For example, The Voice, or American Idol. You have all of these people competing and most of the music that they're singing is the same boring ass genre.
    Which of course is pop. Even Country music these days sounds more like pop, not even close to the days of Willy Nelson or Johnny Cash.
    I tend to delve more into underground, undiscovered music or listen to decent classic stuff.
    Newer rock pop/rap pop just does't have the same feel it had in it's earlier days.
    I thought the 90's was pretty good for rock, especially Alternative but that style seemed to get swept under the rug by either new wave,
    or shitty pop rock. So as far as Mainstream music goes, I find it to be boring and mostly void of much emotion.
    It seems to replace true artistic creativity with trendy recycled dribble.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Most of the new stuff is pretty stupid.
    "It doesn't matter who the people voted for; they always vote for us".

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    I go for foreign shit every once and awhile, but its rare for me to find a new band that started after 2005.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    I don't give a fuck how old this thread is; it disgusts me.

Not all pop is the same

Quote Originally Posted by Dave84311 View Post
    I hate you colin. I really hate you.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bowlcut For This Useful Post:

noob555 (05-24-2013)

Threadstarter
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitekillr View Post
    I don't give a fuck how old this thread is; it disgusts me.

Not all pop is the same

​Absolutely none of the music listed is pop nor mainstream.
    You were seeking love.
    Its name is Silence..

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Aborted For This Useful Post:

[MPGH]Ethereal (05-24-2013)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sleepy

​Absolutely none of the music listed is pop nor mainstream.
    Animal Collective, Black Moth Super Rainbow, Tegan and Sara, Of Montreal, Gorillaz, LCD Soundsystem, The Unicorns, St. Vincent Actor, Fiona Apple, Feist, Sufjan Stevens, Dirty Projectors, and The Feiry Furnaces.
    Those are all pop and on that list.

As for mainstream: depends on your definition of "mainstream".
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave84311 View Post
    I hate you colin. I really hate you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast