Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetamay View Post
    You're developing a game. You just paid a million dollars for the proper SDKs and licensing.

Why in gods name do you not want free, impenetrable DRM - granted you are developing for the XBox 360 anyways.
    Why don't you ask CD Projekt why they don't want DRM? You're very close minded Jeremy. Plenty of devs don't like DRM in principle especially when it pises off a fuck load of potential customers.
    THE ABSOLUTE GREATEST

Thanks
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    People seem to be ignoring that Sony is sticking with online passes to cut some of their used game losses. In recent memory, I can think of Uncharted 3, God of War: Ascension, Playstation All Stars, and The Last of Us including an online pass.

There is no reason to support a console-wide DRM scheme that tries to get more new game sales when there are already solutions to this problem. Who cares about the security of always online and a game solution that is basically serial codes? Most average users will never be able/try to work around that. It hurts the average consumer.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    People seem to be ignoring that Sony is sticking with online passes to cut some of their used game losses. In recent memory, I can think of Uncharted 3, God of War: Ascension, Playstation All Stars, and The Last of Us including an online pass.

There is no reason to support a console-wide DRM scheme that tries to get more new game sales when there are already solutions to this problem. Who cares about the security of always online and a game solution that is basically serial codes? Most average users will never be able/try to work around that. It hurts the average consumer.
    AFAIK, only first-party Sony games have online passes. But that might change in the future, either way it's up to the developer and publisher whether or not enforce such a thing.
    THE ABSOLUTE GREATEST

Thanks
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post

AFAIK, only first-party Sony games have online passes. But that might change in the future, either way it's up to the developer and publisher whether or not enforce such a thing.
    EA's been doing this for a while with Project Ten Dollar or w/e, but stopped recently. Honestly, though, I can't believe people still plan to get Xbones.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetamay View Post
    I have come to realize this:

Sony is now encouraging the sharing of video games, which is a huge slap in the face to developers - and they do this not because they particularly want to, but rather because it is a solid point against Microsoft and more importantly because they don't have the ability to offer the developers any features against the sharing (which undoubtedly leads to loss in profits to developers.)

It's a sort of a gamble I suppose. Microsoft is betting that by implementing these security features for developers they will get more developers to tag along with them hoping as well that this and the gained profits of encouraging users to purchase their games rather then lend them will counter-act and possibly overcome the loss of profits to a smaller share of the market.

On the flip-side, Microsoft is getting a smaller share to the market and Sony is getting a greater share of the market (because obviously, the DRM turns off consumers). Consequently though, Sony will lose more money to the sharing of purchased products.

So the question is: Will Microsoft lose more money from the smaller share of the market than they will make money by preventing the unfair trading of purchased games and appealing more to developers?
    Microsoft has only been getting negative comments on there new xbox1, so why would developers go with someone who will promise them more money per copy if no one will even buy that game for the console. On the other hand developers will make more money with the PS4 because people are still paying for the games but since so many people are starting to migrate over to the ps4 that means that the developers on the ps4 side are getting more money in general because more people will buy that game because it's on a more popular console whether or not those games are shared to other people for free.

Member Since 8/05/2012
    Editor 4/04/13 - 4/21/13
    Middleman 7/14/13 - 11/4/13

Battlefield Minion 6/13/14-3/20/15
    Steam Minion 7/16/14-3/20/15

Minion+ 10/1/14-3/20/15
    M.A.T. Minion 10/19/14-3/20/15
    ROTMG Minion 1/14/15-3/20/15

Donator Since 2/26/15 (Thanks @Cursed!)
    Steam Minion 5/9/15 - 11/5/15
    OSFPS Minion 9/15/15 - 11/5/15

Thanks
    My Mood
    Yeehaw

Why don't you ask CD Projekt why they don't want DRM? You're very close minded Jeremy. Plenty of devs don't like DRM in principle especially when it pises off a fuck load of potential customers.
    I don't like DRM on my games, per se. I'd rather have someone play my game, than not play or pay for my game, and most devs I know are like that. Software is different for me, I'd moderately push DRM, but game is like art, and I'd rather share it with everyone even if I didn't make as much. Suits generally force DRM on games, not the devs, which I don't think Jetamay understands. That's why small indie games don't have it, and dev ran studios generally have FAR less DRM (Valve, Pre-Activision Blizzard, Mojang, list goes on and on).

BRING BACK BT, BRING BACK SAGA, BRING BACK VF, BRING BACK MPGHCRAFT, BRING BACK HABAMON

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    EA's been doing this for a while with Project Ten Dollar or w/e, but stopped recently. Honestly, though, I can't believe people still plan to get Xbones.
    The will of a fanboy is strong. People in Australia are pre-ordering the Xbone and we can't even use any of the TV features, yet have to pay $100 more plus Live subscription.
    THE ABSOLUTE GREATEST

Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy
    Jetamay, you're pretty smart, but you're really passing off as a Microsoft Fanboy. /sorry

Spitting on OpenGL and praising DirectX... Most of the time, unless in very good hands there is no difference.

It's like the Sega Saturn. It was a shit load more powerful than the PS1 and N64, but no developers other than Sega knew how to harness the real power.
    Last edited by Auxilium; 06-11-2013 at 09:12 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Quote Originally Posted by arunforce View Post

I don't like DRM on my games, per se. I'd rather have someone play my game, than not play or pay for my game, and most devs I know are like that. Software is different for me, I'd moderately push DRM, but game is like art, and I'd rather share it with everyone even if I didn't make as much. Suits generally force DRM on games, not the devs, which I don't think Jetamay understands. That's why small indie games don't have it, and dev ran studios generally have FAR less DRM (Valve, Pre-Activision Blizzard, Mojang, list goes on and on).
    I understand and advocate for DRM on professional software especially when you're distributing hundreds of thousand of licenses worth thousands of dollars each. Professional software also usually have trials which negates the need to share licenses in order to try before you buy. Games target a very social community, a lot of games rely upon word of mouth (especially smaller dev run titles), part of word of mouth is handing over your copy to a friend and let them try it out. That's is a very integral part of gaming and marketing. Devs like to cater for that, and if they don't they'd like to at least be the ones to say so and not the platform they're releasing on.
    THE ABSOLUTE GREATEST

Thanks
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti View Post
    Jetamay, you're pretty smart, but you're really passing off as a Microsoft Fanboy. /sorry
    Irony, Sony/Japan fanboi.

-------

From Sony, relevant to this thread, thought I'd post:

We've already come right out and said we're not going to allow online pass. And the word "allow" is key there. Specifically with online, with PS+ requiring a charge to play online, we would not want any publisher [to charge.]

In general, we're all businesses. Sony or Microsoft is never going to be able to tell EA or Activision exactly what they can do. What we like to say at PlayStation is that we set the precedent. The way we are approaching this is that we want this to be extremely consumer-friendly, extremely retailer-friendly, and extremely publisher-friendly. My personal opinion is that it's hard for me to believe that any major publisher is going to put an extra set of used DRM onto game titles because that wouldn't put them in a good spot, right?

BRING BACK BT, BRING BACK SAGA, BRING BACK VF, BRING BACK MPGHCRAFT, BRING BACK HABAMON

Thanks
    My Mood
    Yeehaw

The will of a fanboy is strong. People in Australia are pre-ordering the Xbone and we can't even use any of the TV features, yet have to pay $100 more plus Live subscription.
    I had a co-worker tell me he was getting an Xbone just for Forza 5, and I wasn't going to say anything, but in my mind I was thinking about how much people just act like sheep. I really wish people would tune in once in a while so they wouldn't be shafted, but such is life.
    Last edited by Paladin; 06-11-2013 at 09:21 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    I had a co-worker tell me he was getting an Xbone just for Forza 5, and I wasn't going to say anything, but in my mind I was thinking about how much people just act like sheep. I really wish people would tune in once in a while so they wouldn't be shafted, but such is life.
    The sad part about this whole ordeal is that the not so tech savvy and younger kids are going to think it's business as usual,
    and getting a system similar to 360 as far as features go, but with better graphics.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Bored
    I had a co-worker tell me he was getting an Xbone just for Forza 5, and I wasn't going to say anything, but in my mind I was thinking about how much people just act like sheep. I really wish people would tune in once in awhile so they wouldn't be shafted, but such is life.
    Indeed i'm surprised the concept of DRM wouldn't just turn people off
    this thread argument seems to be taken into a couple different directions whether it'd be the rights of the developers versus the rights of Sony/Microsoft or rather the customer versus the developer or the customer versus Sony/Microsoft. Personally the ps4 model is a slightly better step in my opinion because it might actually allow for the marketing of games as share-friendly but as most of us are (and honestly if you're not i'm not sure why you're on this forum) I have been a pc gamer so these concerns are only of mild interest(although there is always some sort of effect on pc's whenever a new console monstrosity is vomited onto the market).

Let's also not forget Sony and Microsoft are businesses and as businesses there main concern in monetary gain the only difference is Sony is doing something that the normal and average consumer will find a bit more friendly while microsoft might be doing something thats legality is in question but they are just different marketing dynamics one chooses a freindly face and hopes that its more open environment will encourage some more consumer support while the other changes itself into something that the developers may find as a faster route or more reliable route for monetary gain.

The difference is which you find the lesser of two evils.
    Last edited by Cole; 06-11-2013 at 09:46 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Quote Originally Posted by Cole View Post
    Indeed i'm surprised the concept of DRM wouldn't just turn people off
    this thread argument seems to be taken into a couple different directions whether it'd be the rights of the developers versus the rights of Sony/Microsoft or rather the customer versus the developer or the customer versus Sony/Microsoft. Personally the ps4 model is a slightly better step in my opinion because it might actually allow for the marketing of games as share-friendly but as most of us are (and honestly if you're not i'm not sure why you're on this forum) I have been a pc gamer so these concerns are only of mild interest(although there is always some sort of effect on pc's whenever a new console monstrosity is vomited onto the market).

Let's also not forget Sony and Microsoft are businesses and as businesses there main concern in monetary gain the only difference is Sony is doing something that the normal and average consumer will find a bit more friendly while microsoft might be doing something thats legality is in question but they are just different marketing dynamics one chooses a freindly face and hopes that its more open environment will encourage some more consumer support while the other changes itself into something that the developers may find as a faster route or more reliable route for monetary gain.

The difference is which you find the lesser of two evils.
    As consumers, we're choosing to put our money towards what we find more appealing, or vote with your wallet, if you will. People will buy what excites them, and PS4 is fitting that bill.

I mean, sure, you could expect a free console and free games, but the reality is we all knew we were paying upwards of $300 for a new console, and most people accept that you pay money to get things in this world. Such is economy.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123