Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Strange things in the RotMG Section

So, being a long time member of the RotMG section, I have been seeing some strange things going on.

Ever since nilly resigned, Distraught has been deleting random threads in the hacking section. Such as today, there were 3 different clients posted. I checked through the whole thread, no advertisements or mentions of other sites. However, Distraught still deleted them.

Also, I posted in a thread about a user having issues and asking about an old .exe file that used to be posted in the section.
    https://www.mpgh.net/forum/654-realm-...t-release.html

What I originally said was "Don't download it unless it is the old WhiteBag client. Then it is safe." He edited that, and said not to advertise. I don't understand. I didn't provide links, or mention other sites. WhiteBag used to be posted as a download in the RotMG section monthly.

@Liz @Dave84311 @arunforce Just wondering if this can get looked into and resolved.
    Thanks.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Raple For This Useful Post:

Cheese156764 (10-28-2013),Gio (10-21-2013),Janitor (10-21-2013),[MPGH]KING (10-21-2013),Royce (10-21-2013),Trollaux (10-21-2013)

Thanks

179° 56′ 39.4″, +0° 2′ 46.2″, 7,940 ± 420 parsecs
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Tired
    Whitebag thing is understandable, simple google search leads to another site. If it was allowed previously, it was a huge mistake by previous staff. However it is one thing to name something Whitebag, and quite another asking users to use their content. So again, understandable. If you had linked to content posted inside our site, saying don't use without _____InsertMPGHThreadURLHere___ then because it does not ask members to seek for content on other websites.

As far as the 3 deleted threads, there might be something in the content provided that violates site rules. Since content is checked before approval, and distributing content outside of threads is prohibited, I don't see how you could possibly know what was in the content uploaded. Just because rule-breaking text wasn't posted in a thread doesn't mean there's nothing wrong with it.

If anyone claims to be me via any other source outside of MPGH private or visitor messages, IT'S NOT ME!
    They are trying to trick or scam you. Report them immediately and PM me here for verification.
    "Don’t confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are." — Frank Ocean
    Moderator: 5/2009-10/2009 | GMod: 10/2009-10/2010 | Staff Administrator: 10/2010-Present
    I
    do not do requests via PM. Post in the appropriate section.

Stupid/Pointless Private messages = SPAM, SPAM = BAN.

5. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Liz For This Useful Post:

Cheese156764 (10-28-2013),Confin3d (10-22-2013),Distraught (10-21-2013),Euphemistic (10-24-2013),[MPGH]Flengo (10-21-2013),Gio (10-21-2013),Janitor (10-21-2013),Maxedout (10-22-2013),Royce (10-21-2013),Youtro (10-21-2013)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    Whitebag thing is understandable, simple google search leads to another site. If it was allowed previously, it was a huge mistake by previous staff. However it is one thing to name something Whitebag, and quite another asking users to use their content. So again, understandable. If you had linked to content posted inside our site, saying don't use without _____InsertMPGHThreadURLHere___ then because it does not ask members to seek for content on other websites.

As far as the 3 deleted threads, there might be something in the content provided that violates site rules. Since content is checked before approval, and distributing content outside of threads is prohibited, I don't see how you could possibly know what was in the content uploaded. Just because rule-breaking text wasn't posted in a thread doesn't mean there's nothing wrong with it.
    Some of the threads were already previously approved with content that was not malicious or advertising in any way.

Also, EDIT, WhiteBag has been an ongoing client that has been posted many times previous, some with improvements from the original client to provide bonus content. There hasn't been a problem with this since Hux was a minion.
    Last edited by Raple; 10-21-2013 at 02:17 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Liz posted on the WhiteBag thing.

I checked out the deleted threads. All seem pretty valid. One guy was just repeatedly posting threads on the same thing. They could have been in the wrong section, didn't check that.

The clients being deleted is stated above. The file could have also contained advertisements.

Threads posted in the wrong section, should be moved sometimes, but if its repeated we delete it. Which seems to be the case.

Begging/Soliciting is also not allowed. All the deleted threads seem to have valid reason.
    I Read All Of My PM's & VM's
    If you need help with anything, just let me know.

VM | PM | IM
    Staff Administrator Since 10.13.2019
    Publicist Since 04.04.2015
    Middleman Since 04.14.2014
    Global Moderator Since 08.01.2013
    Premium Since 05.29.2013

Minion+ Since 04.18.2013

Combat Arms Minion Since 12.26.2012
    Contributor Since 11.16.2012
    Member Since 05.11.2010

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flengo For This Useful Post:

Cheese156764 (10-28-2013),Distraught (10-21-2013),Janitor (10-21-2013),[MPGH]Liz (10-21-2013)

Thanks
    Clients can't be the same or they will be deleted, That's a rule me and nilly agreed on to stop the mass threads per update if that's the type of threads that were deleted

Thanks
    Thanks for clearing it up everyone. I don't delete anything for just any reason. Also just because nobody wasn't enforcing rules such as deleting off-topic/flame/spam before doesn't mean I'll let you off with it. Some threads contain flame that end up with 15-20 responses. I have to delete all of them because the members in the section would rather flame than use the report feature. Expect to see members in the section being banned if you can't handle the section actually being cleaned up.

As for Whitebag. Even if your not trying to redirect people there. It's a competitive site since they are selling products thus the reason I've been editing posts related to it. If you don't think that falls under indirect or direct advertisement then you need to refresh yourself on the rules.

As for clients being deleted. There has only been 1 or 2 which both didn't bother to follow upload rules. As for files being approved. I've approved basically everything except 2-3 since I joined the section.
    Last edited by Distraught; 10-21-2013 at 04:38 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Distraught For This Useful Post:

Janitor (10-22-2013),Royce (10-21-2013)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Distraught View Post
    Thanks for clearing it up everyone. I don't delete anything for just any reason. Also just because nobody wasn't enforcing rules such as deleting off-topic/flame/spam before doesn't mean I'll let you off with it. Some threads contain flame that end up with 15-20 responses. I have to delete all of them because the members in the section would rather flame than use the report feature. Expect to see members in the section being banned if you can't handle the section actually being cleaned up.

As for Whitebag. Even if your not trying to redirect people there. It's a competitive site since they are selling products thus the reason I've been editing posts related to it. If you don't think that falls under indirect or direct advertisement then you need to refresh yourself on the rules.

As for clients being deleted. There has only been 1 or 2 which both didn't bother to follow upload rules. As for files being approved. I've approved basically everything except 2-3 since I joined the section.
    Not sure if that counts are indirect advertisment, because alot of rotmg sellers run there stuff off websites and expect you to purchase them threw their sites if that's what you mean.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post

Not sure if that counts are indirect advertisment, because alot of rotmg sellers run there stuff off websites and expect you to purchase them threw their sites if that's what you mean.
    Not so much. We had the same issue with DayZ selling except now its strictly done through Skype. As long as the members are being redirected outside of MPGH to those individuals sites then its out of my hands. Usually the seller redirects the customer once they reach them through Skype anyways. Since bypasses full names and abbreviations aren't allowed in the DayZ section and Whitebag is set up exactly like some of those sites. It's pretty clear its a competitor. Especially because people can go there instead of the ROTMG trading section for Pots, item sets, etc.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Distraught For This Useful Post:

Royce (10-21-2013)

Thanks

Not so much. We had the same issue with DayZ selling except now its strictly done through Skype. As long as the members are being redirected outside of MPGH to those individuals sites then its out of my hands. Usually the seller redirects the customer once they reach them through Skype anyways. Since bypasses full names and abbreviations aren't allowed in the DayZ section and Whitebag is set up exactly like some of those sites. It's pretty clear its a competitor. Especially because people can go there instead of the ROTMG trading section for Pots, item sets, etc.
    Regardless, none of us are concerned about their products. We are concerned about the quality client that many users have no idea of. People who post that client and improve it are doing us a favor and shouldn't be ridiculed for it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Raple Syrup View Post

Regardless, none of us are concerned about their products. We are concerned about the quality client that many users have no idea of. People who post that client and improve it are doing us a favor and shouldn't be ridiculed for it.
    Mind explaining how anyone has been "ridiculed" for it? Simply editing out a portion of a post shouldn't concern anyone let alone alarm you this much. It's not a matter of how certain people look at it. It's the fact that it can be used to inadvertently advertise. If you argue that some people don't use the term to purposely advertise and that it should be allowed then your giving people who do want to use it as advertisement an easy route to manipulate the rules. It's about how it is in general not how certain people look at it. There is a way to explain what you want to get across without it. If your concerned about a particular client and want it on MPGH then take the steps to alter the client enough to abide by site rules. It's doable.

Thanks

Mind explaining how anyone has been "ridiculed" for it? Simply editing out a portion of a post shouldn't concern anyone let alone alarm you this much. It's not a matter of how certain people look at it. It's the fact that it can be used to inadvertently advertise. If you argue that some people don't use the term to purposely advertise and that it should be allowed then your giving people who do want to use it as advertisement an easy route to manipulate the rules. It's about how it is in general not how certain people look at it. There is a way to explain what you want to get across without it. If your concerned about a particular client and want it on MPGH then take the steps to alter the client enough to abide by site rules. It's doable.
    Editing a post? You deleted the entire thread of the client.
    What are you talking about?

The WhiteBag client has been edited in the past, and people still do. It's getting to a matter of what is considered advertising. Just because we mention a set of contents from a different site does not mean we're advertising. Simply posting a client which has been uploaded many, many times in the past should not be considered advertising especially if every revision of the client posted here has never been malicious, dangerous, or have any sort of advertising content in them whatsoever.

Plus, the WhiteBag client has nothing to do with the RotMG products they sell. It has been free and always will be since it was originally created on this site. It is clear that MPGH obviously is the main center for clients, so it is expected that many client creators and companies would post their clients here. Just because you can go Google "WhiteBag Client" and find the site doesn't mean they are trying to advertise. I just think you are going on about this the wrong way and being slightly too strict on every day members of the section you have recently joined/rejoined. I think it was quite honorable that the original poster even mentioned WhiteBag and didn't try and take credit for him/herself.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Raple Syrup View Post
    I just think you are going on about this the wrong way and being slightly too strict on every day members of the section you have recently joined/rejoined.
    Get used to it. If you can't handle posts/threads being deleted then you'll be filing a lot more reports. Like I said, if your that concerned with that specific client not being allowed then edit out the advertisement, give proper credits like the original poster did, and follow any other upload rules and I'll approve it. However with that name, it simply won't be accepted. Like Liz said,

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    Whitebag thing is understandable, simple google search leads to another site. If it was allowed previously, it was a huge mistake by previous staff. However it is one thing to name something Whitebag, and quite another asking users to use their content. So again, understandable.
    Thanks for taking the initiative to give your input however I'm not going to sit back and let the ROTMG section continue to be the mess that it was. People were way to lenient to the members of the section. What I've done is nothing close to harsh. Everything I do is justified and some of the things you complained about, I had talked to higher staff about before taking action.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Distraught For This Useful Post:

Royce (10-22-2013)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    props to distraught for actually trying to manage that section

VIP Support // May 2011
    CF Minion // January 2012
    Newsforce // August 2012
    Minion+ // March 2013
    Moderator // August 2014
    Former Staff // January 2015
    General Minion // July 2015
    Publicist // December 2015

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Austin For This Useful Post:

[MPGH]Flengo (10-22-2013),Maxedout (10-22-2013)

Thanks

Get used to it. If you can't handle posts/threads being deleted then you'll be filing a lot more reports. Like I said, if your that concerned with that specific client not being allowed then edit out the advertisement, give proper credits like the original poster did, and follow any other upload rules and I'll approve it. However with that name, it simply won't be accepted. Like Liz said,

Thanks for taking the initiative to give your input however I'm not going to sit back and let the ROTMG section continue to be the mess that it was. People were way to lenient to the members of the section. What I've done is nothing close to harsh. Everything I do is justified and some of the things you complained about, I had talked to higher staff about before taking action.
    As long as the threads and/or posts you delete or edit are justifiable, than by all means do your job. I simply don't want my section to die out, which is what seems to be happening.

Being strict or more so on the long time members of the section will only cause unrest for you, me, and the entire section. But whatever you feel is necessary, you were the one who was chosen.

I'm going to drop this topic for now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast