Thanks

How to find function through call

Hello,

Today I wanted to hack my ammo in Sniper Elite Nazi Zombie Army 2. I realized there is no exact address for that, but for the displayed value. So I have to get the function that writes the value to display. I have the line where the my ammo gets written to the address that is displayed. Before this line there is a call edx instruction. I know this should be the right value, because this is the one that written to the displaying address. So how could I find the function that is giving the correct value of my ammo to the displaying address(call edx)?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by NB81 View Post
    Hello,

Today I wanted to hack my ammo in Sniper Elite Nazi Zombie Army 2. I realized there is no exact address for that, but for the displayed value. So I have to get the function that writes the value to display. I have the line where the my ammo gets written to the address that is displayed. Before this line there is a call edx instruction. I know this should be the right value, because this is the one that written to the displaying address. So how could I find the function that is giving the correct value of my ammo to the displaying address(call edx)?

Thanks in advance!
    Try to analys the game while shooting with CE and it should get you the exact address

The Only Bests :

R3d_L!n3(Fares)
    Aeroman (Brent)
    TheCamels8 (Ori)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cold
    Quote Originally Posted by NB81 View Post
    ... I have the line where the my ammo gets written to the address that is displayed. Before this line there is a call edx instruction...
    So how could I find the function that is giving the correct value of my ammo to the displaying address(call edx)?

Thanks in advance!
    The function's addr is edx..

Code:
    call edx
    edx = the address of where to jump to and continue executing code.
    edx = beginning of the function.

?
    'Some things that can be counted, don't matter. And some things that matter, can't be counted' - A.E.
    --

My posts have some inaccuracies/are wrong/wrong keyword(s) used.
    They're (maybe) pretty close, and I hope they helped you, not created confusion. Take with grain of salt.

-if you give rep, please leave a comment, else it means less.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    It sounds like the ammo display function is a virtual function. In that case, the ammo may be "passed in" via the this pointer. Somewhere within the code you may see a reference to ecx with some offset that could possibly be the ammo member of the class. If the display class is properly separated from the player entity itself then the ammo will be passed in via a parameter and the parameter will be pushed onto the stack before the call, or the entity class is itself the parameter and the display function updates all relevant members of the entity class.
    Last edited by Fovea; 11-17-2013 at 03:06 PM.