Hybrid View

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive

Banned from Escapist.

So I got banned from escapist today.

I did nothing for the ban, but the system(i'm guessing) is automated so big surprise that someone who disagreed with me got me banned.

The "warnings" I've gotten came all at once, as did the probation, and the ban.(These were also given several hours after the post in question were made, tens of pages behind.

I was reported for what is called "being rude to users" AND "flaming"!(didn't know there was a difference in moderation views but ok!)

The first post saying "moviebob was lazy" -FLAMING
    -This is a site that allows curse words without filters, you'd think this wouldn't be a serious offense.

The second "have fun white knights"- Being Rude
    -Yup, I quit the spam chat and I got reported.

Meanwhile I got supsended(3days) for calling someone "gullible." (again, no filter site).
    And I got banned for......banhopping? Even though I didn't make another account, still got banned for that!
    -----------------------------------------------------------

So yup, word of warning. Escapist is probably not a good site for forum'ing.

If you ever visit the site, I suggest watching Zero punctuation and ignoring the rest as it is usually meaningless drivel. The forums I liked for a time, but due to seemingly abundant amounts of "report spamming" and having moderation automated, anyone who disagrees with you can get you banned and it will be 50/50 if you ever get that back...only to be banned again.

:/ So that's my story for today.

Edit: You know, it was probably also my fault for visiting a site where fake game "journalist" flood the site's ad-space and all the views still go to a comedy show mocking games.(Zero Punctuation is pretty good). I'll admit, I might have expected too much.
    Last edited by Empire; 11-10-2013 at 01:42 AM.

Thanks
    Can't you open up some sort of dispute against the ruling there.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by Antipathy View Post
    Can't you open up some sort of dispute against the ruling there.
    I can and did. But it's been like....12+ hours and no response. So I've just given up on it, as it probably just gets ignored by the moderators if there is any.

:/ Just another site/area that has an easily abused system.

At least on MPGH it doesn't actually work like that. You can report people, but it just sends a message to the mods, it doesn't automatically give them the warning/suspension/ban all at once because the mods have to review it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post

I can and did. But it's been like....12+ hours and no response. So I've just given up on it, as it probably just gets ignored by the moderators if there is any.

:/ Just another site/area that has an easily abused system.

At least on MPGH it doesn't actually work like that. You can report people, but it just sends a message to the mods, it doesn't automatically give them the warning/suspension/ban all at once because the mods have to review it.
    I wish you goodluck.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Blah
    Well that sucks. Escapist doesn't sound very fun anyways

Official Middleman since: 30 January 2014
    Minion since: 3 May 2014
    Editor since: 13 May 2014
    Marine since: 10 November 1775

Quote Originally Posted by Dave84311 View Post
    I apologize to anyone who I have called autistic, for this is the most autistic thing I have ever seen. Thanks gbot.
    Quote Originally Posted by arunforce View Post
    You're the cancer of the marketplace. Someone vouch for me. +1

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by Wassabi? View Post
    Well that sucks. Escapist doesn't sound very fun anyways
    It really wasn't. You couldn't really have any negative opinion about anything, nor could you put your opinion on stuff without a paragraph explaining why, if you didn't you'd get reported/banned.

The people who worked there.(as it is a journalist*(blogger) site) would constantly put up shit content such as anita sarkeesian or "top 10"'s or some other garbage things that they think "journalist" would put up. I particularly found moviebob disgusting as he seemed to make videos/articles just for clickbait or just to create controversy, but the other people alright for being bloggers. However I couldn't really say they did any journalism as well.....they just reported on stories/news everyone else had already done without any added content.

Although that's really nothing compared to their forums. To call them "elitist" would be closer to the mark than anything, as their new members are generally banned before reaching 100 post and the older ones generally have a superiority complex. If you prove them wrong, it seems that reporting you is their retaliation(and this isn't just me I've noticed, multiple people have gotten this treatment).

Anyway, yeah. The escapist sucks. If it they put their content(Zero punctuation) on youtube correctly I'd probably never visit there again.
    Last edited by Empire; 11-11-2013 at 01:59 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Empire For This Useful Post:

Josh (11-11-2013)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Blah
    That's quite the shame. Maybe if they opened their minds a little people might have been able to enjoy their versions of journalism, instead of getting banned right away. It's always funny to find people with superiority complexes.

Official Middleman since: 30 January 2014
    Minion since: 3 May 2014
    Editor since: 13 May 2014
    Marine since: 10 November 1775

Quote Originally Posted by Dave84311 View Post
    I apologize to anyone who I have called autistic, for this is the most autistic thing I have ever seen. Thanks gbot.
    Quote Originally Posted by arunforce View Post
    You're the cancer of the marketplace. Someone vouch for me. +1

Thanks
    That's unfair!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    goodluck with that