Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical

Tools for Combat Arms Rez Files

Tools for with Combat Arms Rez Files

I was posting in this thread but I didn't want to a) threadjack and b) have this stuff get lost
    so I figured a dedicated post would be in order. I intend to update this post as I make more progress or test out more of the existing tools.

First off, the Game uses the LithTech Jupiter Engine (not the 'EX' version Like Fear, but the previous version like NOLF2/Contract J.A.C.K. etc) so lets do a little overview of how a Jupiter engine based game is structured (almost-straight copy from other thread):

Jupiter Engine Structure
    Ok apparently there seems to be some confusions amongst you guys as to how this game (or any LithTech (LT) based game) is structured, what tools are required & what's possible. It's frustrating to see people repeat the same (or new) inaccurate information that will only confuse people trying to figure this out. I've been working/modding LT based games since Shogo (yeah that's the 90's... i'm old...) and everytime a new Lith game got released we went through the same cycle of people not understanding or wrongly assuming things, so let me sum up the basics to make this clear for everyone:

a) A Rez file is a BINARY file, which is nothing more than a container for other files. Think of it like a custom Zip / Rar file format, but without the compression (basically a TAR file)

b) It being a binary file opening it up in a any text editor will do no good, nor will changing the font. If anything - if you were to try to save it again it would most likely corrupt the file .

c) This game uses a 'custom' version of the standard REZ File format found in all previous lithtech games such as: No One Lives Forever 2, AvP2, Shogo, etc etc. As previously posted it has an extra 44 bytes in the header which is why all the tools for those games don't understand this newer rez file.

d) I Wrote something in about an hour to Extract THESE rez files called 'RezXTract' (See attachment in this post). Given some time i'm sure I could figure out the extra 44 bytes and add full support to WinRez so you can Extract AND create the Rez files for this game.

e) If you're playing on an online server, any changes you make locally will either a) only show up on your machine b) not have any effect at all with the server pushing it's configuration as a basic means to prevent 'cheating'. You'd have to run a local server mode etc to see the changes (or if there's a single player mode run that).

f) In your main folder you will see an engine.exe and a combatarms.exe these are as you guessed the actual engine & a launcher jsut to get the game started. usually the game is actually started with: engine.exe -rez game.rez

g) Most lithtech games support running with all rez files extracted in the game folder which makes it easier to test things (Rez-ing is only required to 'distribute' your files to others). Haven't tried it , but unless they specifically removed this feature from the engine there's no reason this wouldn't work for this game either. engine.exe -rez <name of folder e.g. Game>

h) All the game logic sits in the Game Folder with the content. CShell.DLL in particular is where all the clientside code sits. (Built from C++). There does not seem to be a server side DLL (Object.LTO) as normally found with most LT games which actually holds a lot of the properties of objects etc etc- most likely since this is an online only game.

Ok so now that you've got files extracted, what do these files do?
    Filetype Explanation

TXT = Attribute Files - Specifies game /model settings etc etc. (Unlike normal these were Binary Encrypted in this game - so again See point (B) above: no text editor or font change is going to let you open this until we figure out how they encrypted it and convert it back to a plain old text files)

WAV = Obviously WAV Files for sounds (should support MP3 (or MP3encoded Wav) as well from what I recall)

DTX = Texture Files - Think PNG files (images that support transparency) Normally these files are created through the LithTech World Buildling Application called DEdit. Old DTX Plugins don't work, however I've figured out the new format (see here) so I could start work on something if there's an interest.

SPR = Sprite File(Links to multiple DTXs for animations)

LTB = Model File (usually made from a LTA/LTC file that never gets released - used to be a LTB Converter floating around the NOLF Forums that may work ) This is the actual 3d Model of the weapons/characters etc etc an uses the DTX Files for it's textures. (See Sample I Extracted here)

DAT = Level Files / Maps (Generated by DEdit Application) again uses DTX Files for textures.

Official Tools Available
    Official Tools would be the ones from either NOLF2 or Contract JACK for now.
    However with the subtle file changes that have been made not all of these will work. Normally with the Jupiter Engine you have the following Toolset available:

Dedit World Creator - most people have a hard time getting used to it, but once you do it's a great editor
    LithRez Command Line Rez File Creator/Extractor
    FxEd Make visual effects (fire/sparkles etc etc)
    ModelEdit used to configure 3d models (attach child model files for animations etc)
    and some other misc tools & plugins.

3rd Party Tools Available
    RezXtract - Download Here
    Simple Rez Extracter; Takes a rez file and just dumps out all the contents in the same folder as the rez file.

Winrez LT Studio 3.1 - Download Here
    My Old tool suite from the Shogo/NOLF Days updated to support CA. Lets you browse and extract only the files you want etc. I'm skipping the installer this time since it's old school C++ which doesn't need a whole lot.
    Includes:
    WinRez (Extract the Rez Files)
    WinRezSH (Shell Extension if you want righ***ick capability in windows to extract rez files)
    ResEdit (Edit CRes.DLL String Table)
    DTXView (Preview DTX Files)
    DTXShell (Needs to be run through REGSVR32.exe - Allows DTXs to be show in Thumbnail view in windows)
    Just run 'Register.Bat' to register both Shell Dlls.
    Note: Winrez, while being able to extract the CA Rez format CAN NOT YET CREATE this new format until we figure out the extra 44 bytes or verify how critical they are.

LTB2X - Download Here
    A Converter that 'sometimes' works and lets you convert a LTB to a Direct3D .X model. Doesn't support any animations etc etc though so not that useful (yet..)

To-Do List
    Ok that's some decent progress, but what's left? (and i'll use a format I see a lot of you guys use )

Extract Rez Files [ X ]
    Update Winrez to Extract CA Rez Files [ X ]
    Figure out DTX Texture Files [ X ]
    Update Winrez to Save CA Rez Files [ ] <-- Next on the List
    Decode Attribute TXT Files [ ] <-- Next on the List
    Write DTX Plugin for Paint.NET [ ]
    Update LTB2X Tool to work with all models/anims [ ]

If you have any questions about the Engine in general or how to use the tools etc feel free to post etc.
    Last edited by B1ackAnge1; 08-28-2009 at 01:16 PM.

2. The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to B1ackAnge1 For This Useful Post:

bigshark_1994 (06-30-2013),BrianV12 (01-15-2010),bug_NOT_ME (09-11-2009),danado (10-28-2009),dontsassme (09-20-2009),dylon510 (01-16-2010),euhsoftware (08-28-2009),Fulfilled (09-20-2009),guizinxd (04-02-2011),headsup (08-29-2009),kute_chym (03-11-2014),leoisso (07-10-2010),likes2game (08-29-2009),Ltlouis (08-29-2009),nosefuraku (12-22-2009),quindo (08-28-2009),Rocco (09-20-2009),shrimp_fried_rice (05-30-2010),Slimjim0617 (09-20-2009),Taeyeon (06-28-2013),Teh Masterer (01-09-2010),tomyssj3 (10-11-2009),TrojanMan! (08-28-2009),Vortex (11-03-2010),why06 (08-28-2009),yanshandou (01-31-2010),zion1337 (09-30-2009),~Gromit~ (01-09-2010)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    What are the extra 44 bytes in hex?

Thanks!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to euhsoftware For This Useful Post:

jmlendez14 (11-08-2009)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Quote Originally Posted by euhsoftware View Post
    What are the extra 44 bytes in hex?

Thanks!
    They are different in each rez file so probably some kind of verification/CRC scheme of some sorts.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to B1ackAnge1 For This Useful Post:

dylon510 (01-16-2010)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by B1ackAnge1 View Post
    They are different in each rez file so probably some kind of verification/CRC scheme of some sorts.
    Yeah maybe. Did you try to put a modified file in CA with the same 44 bytes?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Remove this please.
    Last edited by euhsoftware; 08-28-2009 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Double post...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to euhsoftware For This Useful Post:

jmlendez14 (11-08-2009)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Goofy
    Quote Originally Posted by euhsoftware View Post
    Remove this please.
    why the fuck would they remove this, it is a great post

LIVERPOOL FC

Thanks
    Thanks for the information.

Web Developer Pride

Thanks
    this reminds me of when i use to change the damage in fable for pc

Thanks
    the LTB2X dosnt work with these LTB's
    EDIT i only dosnt work for head models

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty
    Yeh very nice. Thx a bunch. I haven't read it all yet but I'm gonna copy it to read it later. Did I say thanks? well thanks again xD.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This is, I repeat, the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Thanks
    My Mood
    Asleep
    hey just wondering can we make mods with this if u find out how to make .ltb files that CA will understand because i want to make some maybe resedent evil mod for zombies
    [IMG]https://i607.photobucke*****m/albums/tt152/bran92don/27yangl1.png[/IMG][IMG]https://i607.photobucke*****m/albums/tt152/bran92don/kratos1.png[/IMG]

Thanks
    My Mood
    Psychedelic

awesome

Sweet.. I can kick some ass now,

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty
    Wow. Just read it. I've been busy lately so havent got to chill on the forums much. Anyway what I wanted to do was mess with the TXT files to change attributes. One thing I don't get about this is they are all .rez files. so how can you tell which one is a DTX, SPR, LTB, DAT, or TXT?

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This is, I repeat, the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Quote Originally Posted by why06 View Post
    Wow. Just read it. I've been busy lately so havent got to chill on the forums much. Anyway what I wanted to do was mess with the TXT files to change attributes. One thing I don't get about this is they are all .rez files. so how can you tell which one is a DTX, SPR, LTB, DAT, or TXT?
    Same here - do most of this stuff at the office, so not like I can spend a lot of time on it, or even fire up the game lol.

It's basic software engineering and data structures. 1 rez file contains many files, so besides the actual file data there's a block of info that describes length offsets, names etc etc. quite straight forward.
    Starting to think perhaps they compressed the attribute files since compared to any other game they are a LOT smaller.. unless they stripped out a lot of the comments etc and then encrypted them..

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty
    Quote Originally Posted by B1ackAnge1 View Post
    Same here - do most of this stuff at the office, so not like I can spend a lot of time on it, or even fire up the game lol.

It's basic software engineering and data structures. 1 rez file contains many files, so besides the actual file data there's a block of info that describes length offsets, names etc etc. quite straight forward.
    Starting to think perhaps they compressed the attribute files since compared to any other game they are a LOT smaller.. unless they stripped out a lot of the comments etc and then encrypted them..
    Oh ok I understand now. I did notice the attribute.rez was smaller, but I would have to open it up to check. Time to grab my tools and get to work.... well tomorrow, I'll get to work tomorrow. xD

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast