Thanks

zekikez's perma ban

Hello,

I was banned for "No distribution of cheating/hacking material besides in thread as an approved attachment. No distributing via pm, messenger service (via MPGH). (Permanent Ban)" and the main reason was because I did not fully read the rules.

The thread that I was trying to contribute to was talking about modifying Nilly's mod selector so clients could get created with a unique string or some code that the Minions could use to determine it was created by the mod selector.

I PMed the source code of Nilly's mod selector to Trollaux because they suspected me of possibly putting trojans or keyloggers in the selector. So I figured it would be better if someone else did the modification. I also in the PM included details on what Trollaux could do to actually modify the mod selector for what they plan to use. Along with other resource links that they could use. I did not want to create a thread with the source code because it would defeat the purpose of modifying the selector.

I honestly had good intentions about contributing to the community. I would like to see if I can get the ban lifted and I will properly read the rules this time. If the ban will not be lifted, then I wanted to confirm that I would have to leave the community forever, correct? I am not allowed to create another user to atleast continue contributing to the community?

zekikez

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    "Do not open a dispute for:

• Not knowing / being ignorant of a rule. It's your job to read the rules, and it's our job to enforce them."

https://www.mpgh.net/forum/259-staff-disputes/683089-read-before-opening-dispute.html

VIP Support // May 2011
    CF Minion // January 2012
    Newsforce // August 2012
    Minion+ // March 2013
    Moderator // August 2014
    Former Staff // January 2015
    General Minion // July 2015
    Publicist // December 2015

Threadstarter
    Thanks
    I am not trying to dispute the fact that I did not read the rules. I was just trying to give the reason why I did it in the first place. Yes I am at fault and I got banned for that reason. So I will take it but I am just arguing the fact that if I had posted the code as a thread it would defeat the purpose of secretly adding the code. Then leechers would be able to just copy my source code.

"If the ban will not be lifted, then I wanted to confirm that I would have to leave the community forever, correct? I am not allowed to create another user to atleast continue contributing to the community?"

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    You distributed source code? In what file format was it in and how exactly did you "distribute" it

You were banned by @BACKD00R
    I Read All Of My PM's & VM's
    If you need help with anything, just let me know.

VM | PM | IM
    Staff Administrator Since 10.13.2019
    Publicist Since 04.04.2015
    Middleman Since 04.14.2014
    Global Moderator Since 08.01.2013
    Premium Since 05.29.2013

Minion+ Since 04.18.2013

Combat Arms Minion Since 12.26.2012
    Contributor Since 11.16.2012
    Member Since 05.11.2010

Threadstarter
    Thanks
    It is Nilly's Mod Selector. I decompiled it and sent it to Trollaux and Cryogen235. Since I did not want to upload to any unknown website, I used my own linode cloud. I zipped up the source and gave Trollaux and Cryogen235 the link to my own personal cloud hosting. The zip contained exes that comes with RABCDAsm and java source code. The exe were untouched and were the same executables that I downloaded from Cryogen235's post.

I realize now how much against the rule it is to even distribute something. I should have contacted them another way other than through the forums and I am sorry for breaking the rules.

It just kinda sucks because I was doing it to contribute the community and in the end I kind of get screwed over.

Also, I tried to upload the zip through PM but I realized I could not attach files. I completely did not think it was against the rules to communicate in PM with link to files.
    Last edited by xolus; 11-25-2013 at 05:51 PM.

Thanks
    It was more than source code if it needed to be distributed outside of a .txt document. Mind explaining the whole story @xolus

https://puu.sh/5t9Hl.png

There were multiple alternate actions you could of taken to distribute source code which could include pastebin or ****** however you decided to PM it to a few members who in turn reported it directly to me and as I can see a few others.
    Last edited by Distraught; 11-25-2013 at 06:09 PM.

Threadstarter
    Thanks
    I sent it only to Trollaux and Cynogen235.

Honestly, from my experience source code is rarely one file. I work with many programming projects and they tend to always contain more than one file especially if it wants to be organized properly. I spend most of my day working as a senior software engineer. I have to review other people's code so I personally know it is silly to say a source code should be sent in one txt file.

Nilly's Mod Selector had the same concept. It has a couple classes which is all represented in multiple files. ColorTableModel, FileChooserTypes, MainWindow, Arguments, config, DissemblerFiles, Programs, and Settings. The reason I zipped it was to make it easier to transfer. In addition, Nilly's mod selector requires a couple RABCDasm executables, which is why every single mod selector post on ROTMG forums has those executables. I personally get annoyed if someone gives me a project source code then tells me to go find the other libraries/files to actually compile and test the code.

I did not want to upload to ****** because I do not have a private repo on ******. If I had upload to pastebin/******, it would become public and linger in the internet for a long time. This means that if leechers did come across it, they could easily used the mod selector to create a client without going through the modified mod selector. At least with my own linode cloud it would be removed from the cloud and hidden from any possible leechers.

The main idea for my distribution method is to simply upload and remove it once they have downloaded it. That way no one other than the people I message to will have access to it. In the end, I only gave the source code AND details to Trollaux and Cynogen235 because they did not trust me to modify the mod selector. I just wanted to help the community and less time spent reinventing the wheel would have made it easier for Trollaux to modify the mod selector. In fact, I gave him an exact function on a possible method to add a string or even add a pattern of opcodes. This would allow the Minions easier time to find the mod selector such as opening the client with a hex editor and looking for "0202020202020202" in hex. The mnenomic of 02 is nop.

I even gave Trollaux a link that lists all the opcodes and mnenomic that RABCdasm allows.

I now know clearly what the rules are in MPGH.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xolus View Post
    I have to review other people's code so I personally know it is silly to say a source code should be sent in one txt file.
    What do you think I do? Majority of the time the user is smart enough to send it in multiple files labeled clearly or in a pastebin link which in turn would fit the entire source code. Very rarely have we actually ran into source code that wouldn't "fit".

This is actually the first time I've ever had someone claim that "Honestly, from my experience source code is rarely one file." because generally it isn't. Obviously problems aren't compiled from 4 separate source codes. They have to be merged into 1 before going anywhere else. It is different with ROTMG but most of the files would be the exact same as the Mod Selector previously out which would make it pretty pointless to upload everything. You should of just explained and/or given the specific part to Trollaux and Cryo instead with a method that follows guidelines.

Best of luck getting this solved though however you should of known better and/or did this outside of MPGH.
    Last edited by Distraught; 11-25-2013 at 07:54 PM.

Threadstarter
    Thanks
    Java projects are have classes rooted in folders. I guess I am too used to people giving a zip or a pre packaged source code so it works on running.

Anyway, I decided this is not worth my time arguing for. I will end it here. It is my fault in the end for not following the rules. Oh well.
    Last edited by xolus; 11-25-2013 at 09:03 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    Last edited by BACKD00R; 11-26-2013 at 07:26 AM.

• Contributor: October, 31th 2011
    • CA BR Minion: January, 03th 2012
    • CF AL Minion: April, 07th 2012
    • CA Minion: April, 15th 2012
    • CF Minion: July, 03th 2012
    • PB Minion: January, 25th 2013
    • AVA Minion : February, 02th 2013
    • Arctic Combat minion: April, 03th 2013
    • Warface Minion: April, 03th 2013

• Minion + : July 08th 2012
    • Moderator : January 21th 2013
    • Global Moderator : August 1st 2013