Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired

Any suggestions?

Ok i persnally think C++ Beginner's Guide is not working out for me, i mastered the first module but i think C++ Primer Plus is a way better guide, Anyways i got a problem, my friend gave me the 4th edition of the book, but its way too old, so should i get the 5th edition or the 6th one?
    TY MPGH

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Oh wow there is a sixth edition? I've been using the 5th all along xD

Threadstarter
    Dual-Keyboard Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Quote Originally Posted by zeco View Post
    Oh wow there is a sixth edition? I've been using the 5th all along xD
    thats the problem dude, no one knows about 6th edition, and i cant make up my mind, cuz there's gunna be 7th real soon then 8th 9th 10th.....urghh

Thanks
    My Mood
    Stressed
    find the latest one and use it

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhhot View Post
    thats the problem dude, no one knows about 6th edition, and i cant make up my mind, cuz there's gunna be 7th real soon then 8th 9th 10th.....urghh
    Well I sorta got the book (5th edition) through a certain source, which the sixth edition isn't out on yet. How do you know when the 7th edition is coming, and when is that?

Threadstarter
    Dual-Keyboard Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Quote Originally Posted by zeco View Post
    Well I sorta got the book (5th edition) through a certain source, which the sixth edition isn't out on yet. How do you know when the 7th edition is coming, and when is that?
    i was just pridicting... im pretty sure they will make one in 2010, which is not too far

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    The 5th edition should be fine, the last amendment to the c++ standard was in 2003 and 5th came out in 2004. Or you could wait around for the version that comes after C++0x. Either way i use multiple books, so i have many different perspectives.

Threadstarter
    Dual-Keyboard Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    i will just buy 5th ed, since most of the ppl use it without any complains

Thanks
    My Mood
    Blah
    Ok i persnally think C++ Beginner's Guide is not working out for me, i mastered the first module but i think C++ Primer Plus is a way better guide, Anyways i got a problem, my friend gave me the 4th edition of the book, but its way too old, so should i get the 5th edition or the 6th one?
    TY MPGH
    what is wrong with C++ beginners guide? i'm using it to but dont got large problems with it.
    only sometimes i dont understand it but that is because english is not my first language

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Any of these books (unless there's gross errors in them) usually simply built upon whatever new features have been added ,cover more ground or have samples that are specifically targeted at newer compilers. I'd strive to get the latest version, but if all you have access to is say revision 3 I wouldn't worry about it too much because everything you learn from it will still apply and be 98% the same in any newer revision book.

I used to love the Bjarne Stroustrup books (but they may be too academical for most)
    For a real beginner, don't laugh but (even the old) 'C++ in 21 Days' were excellent at getting the basics across and made you feel like you accomplished something

What kind of problems are you running into?

Threadstarter
    Dual-Keyboard Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    im not running into large problems. but my friends who have all the knowledge there is to know about C++, suggested me to get C++ primer plus 5th ed

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty
    im not running into large problems. but my friends who have all the knowledge there is to know about C++, suggested me to get C++ primer plus 5th ed
    You must either have some smart friends or they must be really good lairs.

Anyway. I agree with the whole idea of getting a physical copy of a book. 100%. It doesn't really matter the edition. Like B1ackAnge1 said it will probably be 98% correct and you can come to us for the 2% that isn't ;P

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This is, I repeat, the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Threadstarter
    Dual-Keyboard Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Quote Originally Posted by why06 View Post
    You must either have some smart friends or they must be really good lairs.

Anyway. I agree with the whole idea of getting a physical copy of a book. 100%. It doesn't really matter the edition. Like B1ackAnge1 said it will probably be 98% correct and you can come to us for the 2% that isn't ;P
    hes not really my friend, i just met this graduate at my dad's work place and he said that he has finished reading C++ for Dummies, C++ Primer Plus, and C++ for Begginers, hes also fimiliar with VB, plus he works at IBM, he suggested that i use C++ Primer Plus, and im pretty sure he's not telling a lie, lol

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty
    Oh well then nvm take his advice xD... sounds like he knows what he's talking about. And I didn't know ur "friend" was that old and worked at IBM lol.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This is, I repeat, the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    C++ Primer 5th Addition all the way. I am still reading this book to the day. And the code is perfectly up to date for Visual C++ 2008. I didn't buy my book though, got it off the web.
    Goals In Life:
    [X] Become an Advanced Member
    [X]Release a tut on mpgh
    [0]Post 300 posts
    [X]Make a working hack
    [X] Learn c++

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast