Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks

How can you believe in a god when..

There's so much evil and corruption in the world?
    From my understanding, and memories as a child growing up in a VERY christian family God is an almighty being that watches over everyone, and everything.
    Yet still we have murder, rape, war, corrupted people in powerful political possessions ect.
    How can you believe in a god when all of those things excise and pretty much always have?
    Why would you love an almighty god that has the power to bring peace to the world that does nothing?

Please enlighten me, provide some sort of logical reason as to why god lets so many bad things happen to us.

Also, please refer from using BS explanations.
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Thanks
    Because the world is one massive movie. It's every genre in one. Why would you want to interfere with the movie?

In all seriousness, however, it depends on the religion and "God". Christian God gave man free will. Mythical God's are symbolic to natural process's that could not be explained at the time by ancient man. Etc.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    There's so much evil and corruption in the world?
    From my understanding, and memories as a child growing up in a VERY christian family God is an almighty being that watches over everyone, and everything.
    Yet still we have murder, rape, war, corrupted people in powerful political possessions ect.
    How can you believe in a god when all of those things excise and pretty much always have?
    Why would you love an almighty god that has the power to bring peace to the world that does nothing?

Please enlighten me, provide some sort of logical reason as to why god lets so many bad things happen to us.

Also, please refer from using BS explanations.
    The Faith in god isn't the faith that a higher being is protecting you from evil... it's the faith that you will be rewarded by a higher being for persevering through the evil.
    Last edited by Martin Johnson; 01-31-2014 at 01:05 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed
    Just believe in what you believe.
    Use that thanks button if i ever helped you!

Contact info: (my skype: Sam.lie57)

Be sure to always ask for confirmation before talking/dealing with me

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lehsyrus View Post
    Because the world is one massive movie. It's every genre in one. Why would you want to interfere with the movie?

In all seriousness, however, it depends on the religion and "God". Christian God gave man free will. Mythical God's are symbolic to natural process's that could not be explained at the time by ancient man. Etc.
    i guess this thread is mostly aimed toward christians

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Johnson View Post

The Faith in god isn't the faith that a higher being is protecting you from evil... it's the faith that you will be rewarded by a higher being for persevering through the evil.
    hmm, fair enough
    still have a hard time seeing why someone would "look up" to a god with so much chaos in this world, like praying to god every sunday, asking for miracles, there's people dying everyday from not having enough food or clean water, yet people still think that praying to a god they'll get help?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post

i guess this thread is mostly aimed toward christians

hmm, fair enough
    still have a hard time seeing why someone would "look up" to a god with so much chaos in this world, like praying to god every sunday, asking for miracles, there's people dying everyday from not having enough food or clean water, yet people still think that praying to a god they'll get help?
    But see that's the beauty of it, it gives people hope. Hope that in this darkness there is light. It gives people motivation to be good and not give in to this chaos. I know many people firsthand who were saved by religion. People who were doing and dealing drugs who were guided to a better path. People who were depressed and had no hope in life that were giving a new hope by religion. Now although most religion is bogus, but it saves.

Let me tell you, most human beings' ideas are not rational. Religion is not rational. However that's one of the things that makes human beings so strong. We don't need something rational. All we need is just a bit of sparks to light our flame. You see I didn't have a good life. I saw people, like you said, dying everyday from not having food. I saw people killing people for water. I almost turned athiest. I screamed "Where are you" to the sky every night. But I turned back to religion and stayed strong.

Thanks

But see that's the beauty of it, it gives people hope. Hope that in this darkness there is light. It gives people motivation to be good and not give in to this chaos. I know many people firsthand who were saved by religion. People who were doing and dealing drugs who were guided to a better path. People who were depressed and had no hope in life that were giving a new hope by religion. Now although most religion is bogus, but it saves.

Let me tell you, most human beings' ideas are not rational. Religion is not rational. However that's one of the things that makes human beings so strong. We don't need something rational. All we need is just a bit of sparks to light our flame. You see I didn't have a good life. I saw people, like you said, dying everyday from not having food. I saw people killing people for water. I almost turned athiest. I screamed "Where are you" to the sky every night. But I turned back to religion and stayed strong.
    i see your point, but isn't it better to..do something instead of praying to the sky?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheeky
    Religion and faith are merely crutches for the weak of intellect. The idea is that either people turn to religion as the means of reassuring themselves that their difficult, poverty-stricken lives are worthwhile or tolerable in view of the afterlife. Well, it is often true that religion is a crutch, is it not? Many religious people do live difficult lives, whether stricken by poverty or disease or suffering. They do turn to religion and to faith as a solace for the soul. And there are many aimless people who do want to be told how to live....no flame or rage intended, thank you

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive

Unfortunately that's just making up a reward. I get +100 heaven points if I don't listen to metallica this week, hurray!

In reality it just gives people ignorance. That they can't change it themselves, that they must rely on god, or that God is there only way out.

Calling them weak isn't exactly the meaning of that, it's just "willing to accept a lie to feel better". Not really a "crutch" but more a "comforting lie".

In other words: Ignorance is bliss.
    ----------------

Religion does not make you strong. This is something I've always found silly about religious people. They do all this stuff and give credit to the religion and God. Really? You solved that problem entirely by yourself but "thanks be to god" lol. It's as if people are not will to accept responsibility for their actions in any sense.

If God exist, he sure as fuck doesn't care about humanity.

:/ Not to be rude but the more rational humans are the stronger ones. Probably the reason the more developed societies have solved and stopped the problems the undeveloped ones haven't.
    ----------------

Not to mention what religion you believe in matters solely on culture, not legitimacy.
    Last edited by Empire; 02-01-2014 at 03:01 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Empire For This Useful Post:

059 (04-28-2014),[MPGH]Ghost (02-02-2014)

Thanks

If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward then, brother, that person is a piece of shit.
    Last edited by noob555; 02-01-2014 at 05:25 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to noob555 For This Useful Post:

059 (04-28-2014)

Thanks

There is no beauty in bull shit. What does it tell you when people need motivation to be good? That they are bad. If you need to get together and tell yourself stories that violate every law of the universe just to get through the god damn day without dealing/doing drugs, to stay positive, to have be hopeful, what does that tell you and the people who believe. If your ideas are irrational, and you believe in the irrational you're crazy. Religion is merely a socially accepted form of insanity. Irrational ideas don't just make people strong, it makes them reckless. Sparks and fire come from thermodynamics. Religion has existed since once monkey pointed at the sky and said,"He said to give me some of your shit". Why the fuck would you turn to religion when your peers are starving or killing for water. You rather throw money in a wishing well than buy a meal or water for others. It's a load of bullshit.
    Last edited by noob555; 02-01-2014 at 09:51 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Hot
    Quote Originally Posted by noob555 View Post
    There is no beauty in bull shit. What does it tell you when people need motivation to be good? That they are bad. If you need to get together and tell yourself stories that violate every law of the universe just to get through the god damn day without dealing/doing drugs, to stay positive, to have be hopeful, what does that tell you and the people who believe. If your ideas are irrational, you're fucking nuts. Religion is merely a socially accepeted form of insanity. Irrational ideas don't just make people strong, it makes them reckless. Sparks and fire come from thermodynamics. Religion has existed since once monkey pointed at the sky and said,"He said to give me some of your shit". Why the fuck would you turn to religion when your peers are starving or killing for water. You rather throw money in a wishing well than buy a meal or water for others. It's a load of bullshit.

And I'd like to get as many of them out in the open as possible. You gotta get together and tell yourself stories that violate every law of the universe just to get through the goddamn day? What's that say about your reality?
    Quote Originally Posted by noob555 View Post
    If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward then, brother, that person is a piece of shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post

Unfortunately that's just making up a reward. I get +100 heaven points if I don't listen to metallica this week, hurray!

In reality it just gives people ignorance. That they can't change it themselves, that they must rely on god, or that God is there only way out.

Calling them weak isn't exactly the meaning of that, it's just "willing to accept a lie to feel better". Not really a "crutch" but more a "comforting lie".

In other words: Ignorance is bliss.
    ----------------

Religion does not make you strong. This is something I've always found silly about religious people. They do all this stuff and give credit to the religion and God. Really? You solved that problem entirely by yourself but "thanks be to god" lol. It's as if people are not will to accept responsibility for their actions in any sense.

If God exist, he sure as fuck doesn't care about humanity.

:/ Not to be rude but the more rational humans are the stronger ones. Probably the reason the more developed societies have solved and stopped the problems the undeveloped ones haven't.
    ----------------

Not to mention what religion you believe in matters solely on culture, not legitimacy.

I'm not religious. Not at all. I give 0 shits about religion. This is my attempt at analyzing religious' people's way of thinking and connecting it to a period when I was religious.

I completely understand what you guys are saying and agree with 150% of it.

Just wanted to clear that bit up.

Thanks
    one word faith?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted

So you just have faith because you want a reward.
    THE ABSOLUTE GREATEST

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    The world does have evil and corruption and to it its own nature. To believe in a god is the desire for faith in hopes that things will become better because you are just one individual that can't impact the world as greatly which is where god comes into mind. A higher being to which people look up to for the the given circumstances are far beyond in their favor.

You can choose to believe in whatever you like.
    Last edited by adriandevera; 02-02-2014 at 02:25 AM.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast