Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Hope not, people would mis use it then ( like the American's )

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by stoluk View Post
    Hope not, people would mis use it then ( like the American's )
    Newsflash: Time travel wouldn't be misused in the name of a country.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post

Aw yes I know that but I'm guessing American's would make it or so ( like that ) since they have a good resource of equipment

Thanks
    My Mood
    Hot

Why not ?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferris Bueller View Post

I see what you're saying.

So basically to tie this in to OP's question, yes time travel is entirely possible and is a viable theory. Only problem is we are not advanced enough and do not have enough resources to power such a thing. Even when we do, we will first have trouble with time travel. I predict time travel will start out small scale, just like invisibility technologies, and then will expand.
    My whole point though, leaving out the science of it, was the fact that if we do start to time travel in the future at some point, wouldn't we have seen some evidence of someone that time traveled into our time period?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive

Why not ?
    Because time travel has more possibilities than a single country. World domination or even peace or half a dozen scenarios would be a better result of time travel.

Not to mention the only probable way you'd get someone who could use time travel for a country would be to send a hardcore nationalist back in time for what would be a hitman job.

Which leaves a whole bunch of complications.
    ----------------------

But more importantly Time-Travel is such a big power that using it for a country seems like a waste. Only a mindless soldier wouldn't understand that.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Hot

Because time travel has more possibilities than a single country. World domination or even peace or half a dozen scenarios would be a better result of time travel.

Not to mention the only probable way you'd get someone who could use time travel for a country would be to send a hardcore nationalist back in time for what would be a hitman job.

Which leaves a whole bunch of complications.
    ----------------------

But more importantly Time-Travel is such a big power that using it for a country seems like a waste. Only a mindless soldier wouldn't understand that.
    You're acting like the nature of human beings doesn't allow us to do irrational things to reach our goals.

If we reach the point in time where time travel is a possibility, then every person or country with a plan will do ANYTHING in their ability to use it for their advantage.

Remember nuclear energy? How we said we will only use it to generate clean power? Now every powerful country and their mothers are using nukes as a powerful weapon. A VERY powerful weapon. Also why assume that we can only send 1 person back in time? If time travel is possible then the expedition of people, tanks, and infantry is possible.

Also, reference to my nuke reference. We understand that using time-travel is a huge power to use for one coutnry, but why think that countries would even take that into consideration. We know how harmful nukes are for our planet and people, yet we are mass producing them.

In the end, no power is too big for humans to take advantage of/use for their own well-being.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive

You're acting like the nature of human beings doesn't allow us to do irrational things to reach our goals.

If we reach the point in time where time travel is a possibility, then every person or country with a plan will do ANYTHING in their ability to use it for their advantage.

Remember nuclear energy? How we said we will only use it to generate clean power? Now every powerful country and their mothers are using nukes as a powerful weapon. A VERY powerful weapon. Also why assume that we can only send 1 person back in time? If time travel is possible then the expedition of people, tanks, and infantry is possible.

Also, reference to my nuke reference. We understand that using time-travel is a huge power to use for one coutnry, but why think that countries would even take that into consideration. We know how harmful nukes are for our planet and people, yet we are mass producing them.

In the end, no power is too big for humans to take advantage of/use for their own well-being.
    Selfish need, yes.

Two things though.

First, Time travel will remain in one country. Simply put that if its made it will take too long for another country to catch up and use it. You might think "oh the same thing with the atom bomb" and yeah, that's similar, but on an entirely different level of technology, making the gap extremely huge.

Second, I don't doubt human nature, time travel has a lot higher chance for it to be misused.

However the chances that its for one country in particular, pretty low. Outside of the "hail mary" throw, there isn't that much incentives to go into Time-Travel other than the better weapon route.

Sure the US, China, and all that want to have it and would pay all the riches in the world, but it's not like the people working on it are doing it for the country, nor would it take precedence over anything more reasonable like space travel or weaponry for a country.
    -----------------------

Only way TT would be used for a country is an Apocalyptic scenario, nuclear war or some robot uprising.

Or putting a cell phone on a microwave.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Hot

Selfish need, yes.

Two things though.

First, Time travel will remain in one country. Simply put that if its made it will take too long for another country to catch up and use it. You might think "oh the same thing with the atom bomb" and yeah, that's similar, but on an entirely different level of technology, making the gap extremely huge.

Second, I don't doubt human nature, time travel has a lot higher chance for it to be misused.

However the chances that its for one country in particular, pretty low. Outside of the "hail mary" throw, there isn't that much incentives to go into Time-Travel other than the better weapon route.

Sure the US, China, and all that want to have it and would pay all the riches in the world, but it's not like the people working on it are doing it for the country, nor would it take precedence over anything more reasonable like space travel or weaponry for a country.
    -----------------------

Only way TT would be used for a country is an Apocalyptic scenario, nuclear war or some robot uprising.

Or putting a cell phone on a microwave.

But see time travel for us is an extremely advanced technology. Who is to say it will be in 100 years?

Anyways these are all just predictions, guess we'll just have to wait and see(if it happens in our life time.)

Thanks
    Time travel is possible, but you can only go forward, not backwards
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Time travel is possible, but you can only go forward, not backwards
    So.......cryogenics?

Thanks
    einstein said it could.

THE EYES OF THE DAVESTAPO ARE UPON YOU. ANY WRONG YOU DO WE ARE GONNA SEE, WHEN YOU'RE ON MPGH, LOOK BEHIND YOU, 'CAUSE THATS WHERE WE GONNA BE

Thanks
    Time doesn't actually exists therefore time travel is impossible.The only thing that exist is OUR sense of time,but in universe's time theres only distance and speed which both directly affect our human understanding of time;in that sense travelling to the future is impossible,however you can cut the distance and speed of which It's travelled but everyone and everything else around you will also follow their 'current sense of time'and move forward into time along with you.So you can't actually go from the year 2014 to 2017 in the push of a button,but you can cut the distance of how fast you will arrive to that year because distance and speed both affect our sense of time.
    Atleast that's what makes the most sense when you think of time travell.

Also,technically time travel to the past is possible but not in the way most people think of it;you cannot change past events but only observe from a distance that event in the past.
    Just take a look at a far away star and you'll be travelling into the past,since distance affects the speed of which light arrives to earth if your looking at a star that's 3 billion light years away your actually looking at how that star was 3 billion years ago.You'd have to wait 3 billion more years to actually see the current state of which that star was in 2014 because of the distance light takes to travels.Just pointng out that time does not exist but just something we made up for our convenience.

In reply to "Also in general sense we already are traveling in time...
    If space time and space are a plane, what happens if I cut a hole into space which is how wormholes come into theory."

The same thing would happen to a wormhole,you only shorten the distance of how you get to point A to point B,if you're travelling into a planet that is 3 light years away from earth and go back into that same wormhole to earth again,everyone and everything else in earth will also have moved forward with you,the only things that it would've affected was your sense of time.
    Instead of following the long route of the current space-time a wormhole just bends the distance making you reach point B faster than how you would normally go at the speed of light.

.A current space time
    __________________________________________________ ___________ .B
    |(wormhole)|
    __________________________________________________ __∞
    destination .B

Atleast that's my opinion of how time travell could exist in a way that makes sense.I may be mistaken and I may not,was just passing through the site and decided to give my input hope you guys understand my "scientific" explanations lol
    Last edited by arjunp; 03-18-2014 at 11:43 AM.

Thanks
    I am going to go slightly off topic and state something somewhat random.

If the vector of time oscillated between going forward and going backward, we would not know.

Thanks
    I believe time travel doesn't exist because we can't really "save" time in a hard disk like that to go back,so I think it's not possible to go back in time,it'd be awesome if you did thought but I think it will never gonna happen.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12