Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

dramatically decrease lag alot!

WORKING ON WINDOWS 98 THROUGH WINDOWS 7

This is not a joke. I have been suffering from major lag for a long time, and I have FOUND the problem.

The issue is something known as the "Nagle Algorithm". Anyways I'll keep it simple, this algorithm was created years ago as a way of allowing a steady stream of data to use low bandwidth. It was designed for older dial up modems to prevent online games and other things sending large numbers of small packets from filling up your entire bandwidth sending "ACK Packets". What this does is automatically delay your computer from responding to a single packet by 200ms which allows your computer to respond to multiple packets at once using less bandwidth. What this essentially does, is add up to 200ms to your lag. If you want to know more, do some googling; I don't want to bore you.

Anyways, if you are on a modern broadband connection, you can DRASTICALLY improve your Combat arms lag by disabling this algorithm. I am unsure of how to do this in Windows Vista, but in Windows XP it is a simple registry edit.

1. Go to start>run>type in regedit and hit ok. If this comes up your good to go:

2. Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameter s\Interfaces\
    3. It gets tricky here, there be a bunch of Folders with letters and numbers under this Key, you need to find the one that is your network adapter. Browse them one at a time and look for the ones with similar settings to your network, such as if you have an IP address or a Gateway manually set. If you are unsure, you could always just try adding the line to all of them.
    4. Add a DWORD named TcpAckFrequency This is Case Sensitive. If it is already there, skip to step 5.
    5. Set the Value of the DWORD to 1
    6. Reboot your PC

After this, the Nagle Algorithm will be disabled.

If you wish to test your lag, the best way to do it is by casting the Healing spell. Try casting all 5 charges of your healing spell before this fix, then after. I guarantee you'll cast them twice as fast after this fix if you have had lag issues or are living on the east coast.

For more information read: The TCPIP nagle algorithm can slow down network | Network | Smallvoid.com

~~mariofan901~~
    Last edited by mariofan901; 09-14-2009 at 10:52 PM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mariofan901 For This Useful Post:

jairel17 (09-15-2009),JIGS4W (09-15-2009),NeverBorn (09-14-2009),rohanshah1 (09-14-2009),Trunky (09-15-2009),Zetsu (09-15-2009)

Thanks
    nice guide good job.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by mariofan901 View Post
    WORKING ON WINDOWS 98 THROUGH WINDOWS 7

This is not a joke. I have been suffering from major lag for a long time, and I have FOUND the problem.

The issue is something known as the "Nagle Algorithm". Anyways I'll keep it simple, this algorithm was created years ago as a way of allowing a steady stream of data to use low bandwidth. It was designed for older dial up modems to prevent online games and other things sending large numbers of small packets from filling up your entire bandwidth sending "ACK Packets". What this does is automatically delay your computer from responding to a single packet by 200ms which allows your computer to respond to multiple packets at once using less bandwidth. What this essentially does, is add up to 200ms to your lag. If you want to know more, do some googling; I don't want to bore you.

Anyways, if you are on a modern broadband connection, you can DRASTICALLY improve your Combat arms lag by disabling this algorithm. I am unsure of how to do this in Windows Vista, but in Windows XP it is a simple registry edit.

1. Go to start>run>type in regedit and hit ok. If this comes up your good to go:

2. Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameter s\Interfaces\
    3. It gets tricky here, there be a bunch of Folders with letters and numbers under this Key, you need to find the one that is your network adapter. Browse them one at a time and look for the ones with similar settings to your network, such as if you have an IP address or a Gateway manually set. If you are unsure, you could always just try adding the line to all of them.
    4. Add a DWORD named TcpAckFrequency This is Case Sensitive. If it is already there, skip to step 5.
    6. Reboot your PC

After this, the Nagle Algorithm will be disabled.

If you wish to test your lag, the best way to do it is by casting the Healing spell. Try casting all 5 charges of your healing spell before this fix, then after. I guarantee you'll cast them twice as fast after this fix if you have had lag issues or are living on the east coast.

For more information read: The TCPIP nagle algorithm can slow down network | Network | Smallvoid.com

~~mariofan901~~
    Anyone confirm this? I'll do this for my XP partition.

Thanks
    already knew bout this did it

Thanks
    Yeah, I did it awhile on Combat Arms, Stopped the lag completely

Thanks
    ooo cool will try and post results

lol yea like never born says... healing spell?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    healing spell? what the fuck?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Blah
    I knew about this but if you do this wrong it will mess up your computer because of course you are changing the speeds of your computer

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by TwikiE View Post
    I knew about this but if you do this wrong it will mess up your computer because of course you are changing the speeds of your computer
    It's as simple as deleting the registry entry. It's only the registry after all.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    6. Reboot your PC

i got to step 3, but what do i do at 4? i don't quite understand it, sorry. i'd do some fooling around with it but it's my registry and i don't want to fuck it up.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverBorn View Post
    6. Reboot your PC

i got to step 3, but what do i do at 4? i don't quite understand it, sorry. i'd do some fooling around with it but it's my registry and i don't want to fuck it up.
    there are folders with the names EX: {4324321-43214321}

Follow step 4-5 for each folder if your unsure -_-

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverBorn View Post
    6. Reboot your PC

You should have a couple of folders left to chose from... you have to find the RIGHT folder and put the registry entry into it just click each folder and look at the data list and see if any of them have something that looks similar to your ip address. I noticed for me that the correct folder was the one with the most files in it

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by mariofan901 View Post
    there are folders with the names EX: {4324321-43214321}

Follow step 4-5 for each folder if your unsure -_-
    no i get that, but what do you mean "add DWORD"?

Thanks
    right click the folder and New > DWORD

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    RIGHT CLICK in the empty space to the right of all the values. The list contains the option DWORD.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast