Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy

Are You Religious?

Why or why not? Just curious.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Hot
    No, I simply stopped caring about religion.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ferris Bueller For This Useful Post:

Thefurball (03-24-2014),Assistive (03-30-2014)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    No. Waste of time/money/effort for what charity works can do better.

Religion as a whole is pretty faulty though. I still haven't read up on buddhism, but most religions enough moral issues to put me off of it entirely.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Hot
    It's funny because 70% or more of people who claim to be religious are really not religious at all.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post
    No. Waste of time/money/effort for what charity works can do better.
    Religion as a whole is pretty faulty though. I still haven't read up on buddhism, but most religions enough moral issues to put me off of it entirely.
    Not all charities, just throwing that out there, and iirc, Buddhism's moral is mostly abstract and focuses on helping people

OT: No, basically same explanation as Empire too
    Quote Originally Posted by Extravagant View Post
    The problem is that we're people. People are shitty beings, you just gotta keep that in mind.
    "Science is interesting, and if you don't agree you can fuck off." - Richard Dawkins
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Lehsyrus View Post
    Troll nomination. Allah and Muhammad for 1400 years of bullshit.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 666HiddenMaster666 For This Useful Post:

Ferris Bueller (03-25-2014)

Thanks
    Oh man, I could talk so much about religion as a topic in itself. I feel like many religions touch upon important social, ethical, and moral issues. However, religion itself is looked down upon due to the various negative (which is what most religious naysayers focus on) ways the pious go about expressing their faith and introducing it to society itself. This is coming from a former religious person, as well. But, I think there's a lot to learn from what religious text and stories have to say about the world.
    Last edited by BARON; 03-24-2014 at 09:02 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Brooding
    I used to be,but now the light of knowledge has cleared my path and shown me how this world works.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Yes, I am a Pentecostal Christian.

Minion Statistics

Ex-Console Minion: 13/01/2011 ~ 19/04/2011
    Console Re-Minion: 14/06/2012 ~ 27/02/2013
    AVA Minion: 22/06/2012 ~ 12/11/2012
    Battlefield Minion: 04/02/2013 ~ 27/02/2013

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin For This Useful Post:

kaysnd7 (03-25-2014)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Ventured from Buddhist, to Christian, to completely neutral agnostic, to agnostic atheist, and now I'm a full gnostic atheist/borderline antitheist.
    THE ABSOLUTE GREATEST

Thanks
    Fuck no, religion is for chumps. If some ****** runs up on me claiming he's god I'm gonna slap the shit out of him with my dick.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Yes I am, Because I fear the truth.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by 666HiddenMaster666 View Post

Not all charities, just throwing that out there, and iirc, Buddhism's moral is mostly abstract and focuses on helping people
    Yeah, but enough for me value them over organized religious efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by BARON View Post
    Oh man, I could talk so much about religion as a topic in itself. I feel like many religions touch upon important social, ethical, and moral issues. However, religion itself is looked down upon due to the various negative (which is what most religious naysayers focus on) ways the pious go about expressing their faith and introducing it to society itself. This is coming from a former religious person, as well. But, I think there's a lot to learn from what religious text and stories have to say about the world.
    Well certain people are always known to be asses. Politics does the same thing to people.

There is a conflicting problem I see with religion.

One end has decent morals and a decent code to live by. You wouldn't be a great person, but you'd be alright. But the other end has bad or no morals, and it's part of the same religion.

I find it harder and harder to to justify the wrong with the good personally, because God is often doing both, which makes him not really worth following.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Yeah, but enough for me value them over organized religious efforts.
    Yep, and the older Buddhist monks across the world is probably one of the nicest group of people you'll ever meet
    Quote Originally Posted by Extravagant View Post
    The problem is that we're people. People are shitty beings, you just gotta keep that in mind.
    "Science is interesting, and if you don't agree you can fuck off." - Richard Dawkins
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Lehsyrus View Post
    Troll nomination. Allah and Muhammad for 1400 years of bullshit.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy
    Here's my opinion:

Religion, to me, exists to fill up a lot of gaps in humankind, like the questions of where we come from, what happens when we die, what we live for, etc. However, I also think logically, and religion just doesn't make any logical sense. I have yet to find one real reason to believe in a deity of any kind.

So, I answer the questions in my own way. Where did we come from? I don't know. That doesn't mean that there has to be a god, though.

What happens when we die? We cease to exist. In the same way Christians believe animals (who have no souls) just die, so too do we. It's sad, but, in my opinion, realistic.

What do we live for? I don't think there is a purpose to life. I think it just is, and we have to make the most out of it before it's gone. I want to experience life the best I can, because it's the only one I get.

Thanks

Well certain people are always known to be asses. Politics does the same thing to people.

100% true

There is a conflicting problem I see with religion.

One end has decent morals and a decent code to live by. You wouldn't be a great person, but you'd be alright. But the other end has bad or no morals, and it's part of the same religion.
    That makes sense, I tend to focus on the positive things religion can offer, but the "bad end" is definitely there. It's just a matter of keeping yourself from getting caught in those corners of it. Most religions have various flaws, and none can claim to be flawless, in this. But, the "good" end is something that I feel should be the minimum for most people, and the start to being greater than just being "alright".
    I find it harder and harder to to justify the wrong with the good personally, because God is often doing both, which makes him not really worth following.
    I agree, mostly, here as well.

In general, my final thoughts on it have just come down to human nature. The time periods when most religions were conjured up (ancient times) were times of very weak science. Where we strived to figure out what we couldn't comprehend, we just created one big excuse for it. Anything inexplicable was "the work of God", and that was the end of it.Who knows, during those ancient times it may have just been human fallibility to want to believe in something greater than us.

Trying to stay neutral here, not trying to advocate atheism or anything, the omnipotence paradox is a good read, for anyone interested.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast