22 66.67%
  • I don't know

0 0%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Quote Originally Posted by noob555 View Post
    Doubting science is fundamental to the progression of it. Until Newton, people believed that heavier things fell faster. Then we have Einstein only 300 years later disproving Newtonian mechanics through purely theoretical physics. The nature of science is doubt. Science doesn't claim anything is true.
    Oh, you're talking about doubt being part of its process. I thought you were talking about people doubting science as a wholistic concept.
    THE ABSOLUTE GREATEST

Thinking is the Enemy of Creativity. It's Self-Conscious, & Anything Self-Conscious is Lousy.
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Believe in whatever you want to believe in. I don't have any sort of religion, I have my beliefs in what is most likely improbable, but its just another theory. There is no fact of there being a god, reincarnation, heaven, hell, the big bang theory (its just a theory after all), well in fact they are all theories and things that people make up. You have the right to believe in whatever you want, but it doesn't mean it's real or true. These theories/beliefs are there to make you feel wholesome, to have meaning of life and everything around you. Religion was probably partly made up in order to gain power, or to help people connect and form together and result in a equal community; although in fact it really only made it worse in the end.. ehh, I'm done ranting off now.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by Invis. View Post
    Believe in whatever you want to believe in. I don't have any sort of religion, I have my beliefs in what is most likely improbable, but its just another theory. There is no fact of there being a god, reincarnation, heaven, hell, the big bang theory (its just a theory after all), well in fact they are all theories and things that people make up. You have the right to believe in whatever you want, but it doesn't mean it's real or true. These theories/beliefs are there to make you feel wholesome, to have meaning of life and everything around you. Religion was probably partly made up in order to gain power, or to help people connect and form together and result in a equal community; although in fact it really only made it worse in the end.. ehh, I'm done ranting off now.

1. Evolution is not "just a theory" any more than gravity.

2. Religion, from the people who created it to the people who used it, has always been misused. If you follow the bible/quran, you can argue that there is a ton of bad morals and very few good ones.

So as far as teaching people morals or "meaning in life" I think religion is actually one of the worse ways to do that.

It creates a problem when the morals/ meaning isn't founded on something real.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Empire For This Useful Post:

Elocrypt. (04-02-2014)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Quote Originally Posted by Invis. View Post
    well in fact they are all theories and things that people make up.
    You literally don't have a single inkling as to what a theory actually is.
    A HYPOTHESIS is an inference, a THEORY is proven time and time again.
    You were seeking strength, justice, splendour.
    You were seeking love.
    Here is the pit, here is your pit.
    Its name is Silence..

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Aborted For This Useful Post:

Elocrypt. (04-02-2014)

Thinking is the Enemy of Creativity. It's Self-Conscious, & Anything Self-Conscious is Lousy.
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by Aborted View Post

You literally don't have a single inkling as to what a theory actually is.
    A HYPOTHESIS is an inference, a THEORY is proven time and time again.
    Thank you for correcting me.

Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post

1. Evolution is not "just a theory" any more than gravity.

2. Religion, from the people who created it to the people who used it, has always been misused. If you follow the bible/quran, you can argue that there is a ton of bad morals and very few good ones.

So as far as teaching people morals or "meaning in life" I think religion is actually one of the worse ways to do that.

It creates a problem when the morals/ meaning isn't founded on something real.
    I understand you, and I believe you. I agree.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    I am Buddhist, but i don't consider that a religion. Its more of a meditation.
    Well, I've got to get back to work. When I stop rowing, the slave ship just goes in circles.

Thanks
    I am agnostic, leaning towards atheist. It is a higher probability (perceptively) that god does not exist.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Hot
    Quote Originally Posted by The Void Aroma View Post
    I am agnostic, leaning towards atheist. It is a higher probability (perceptively) that god does not exist.
    If there's a higher probability of aliens existing than not, then why does the same rule not apply to God?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferris Bueller View Post

If there's a higher probability of aliens existing than not, then why does the same rule not apply to God?
    Are you trying to play devil's advocate or was that a serious question?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Hot
    Quote Originally Posted by The Void Aroma View Post
    Are you trying to play devil's advocate or was that a serious question?
    A little bit of both.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferris Bueller View Post

The possibility of physical life can't be equated to the possibility of a non-existential metaphorical being. By the same logic it could be gathered that the chance of a pink unicorn in the sky is almost certain, while in fact it's far from plausible. We understand the physical processes and conditions needed to create and support life, while the known conditions surrounding the birth of a 'god creature' are nill to none. You're using blanket reasoning, which is not logically viable in this situation. It can be said with almost infinitely more certainty that you'll be able to find loose change in your couch cushions than something not quantifiable and unproven to exist.
    Last edited by Aborted; 05-13-2014 at 03:09 PM.
    You were seeking strength, justice, splendour.
    You were seeking love.
    Here is the pit, here is your pit.
    Its name is Silence..

Thanks
    The existence of aliens is something that is very probable due to the potential existence of solar systems and planets out there that are similar to our own. These solar systems/planets would have the conditions necessary for basic life, which, over time, might proliferate into life that is a bit more complex. Life that humanity would consider to be aliens. This is something that is possible.

The existence of a god is not something that is physical, unlike the above scenario, ...at least not to our current denotations of the concept. Determining the existence of god is solely philosophical at this point, since we still know so little about both our universe and what lies outside of it.

I'm sorry, but it is absolutely ridiculous to compare the logic applied to the existence of aliens to the existence of god. :P

Edit: It appears that Aborted has ninja'd me. Nonetheless!
    Last edited by The Void Aroma; 05-13-2014 at 03:12 PM.

Thanks
    Probably a 50/50 because sometimes I believe on God because they created us but the question I have is Who created God ? no one knows.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456