Thanks
    My Mood
    Grumpy

Talk About Oldschool - Majin Bone First Impression

The first of the 2014 Spring season has come and I decided I'd go ahead and watch it since I had nothing else to do. Well, there are a couple of things that really quite caught my attention with this one. I'll be going through my thoughts on this one point by point, and I'll try not spoiling anything. First things first, the opening:

When it first started playing, I was immediately thought it had similarities to a few of the old gundam openings, and even other shows like medabots and shaman king. I probably felt this even more because the art style itself has an older feel to it, it's not so sharp and vivid with tons of detail. Instead, it's more simplistic and opaque. This, however is not a bad thing to me, it's actually one of the reasons I found this anime intriguing in the first place. Watching the opening and seeing all the characters and their mech-suits being introduced, it gave me the feel that even if this has tons of action, there's probably going to be very little outside casualties or maybe none at all. The designs of some of the mech-suits were also quite nice and didn't look overly similar to other robots in other shows. Overall I thought the opening was decent, not really going to say anything about the music since I think musical taste is subjective and some might like it while others might not. Personally I enjoyed it, but it's not the kind of opening that I'd be willing to watch every episode and it's not the kind of opening that I immediately want to skip every single time. It's more in the middle where I'll listen to it if I feel like it.

The second thing I'd like to talk about is the voice acting. At first I felt the main character's voice was a bit awkward, but that's because when I hear it all I think of is this guy. Other than that I thought the voice acting was quite good, the character's voices matching their personalities. I did have a few ticks at times when a character was speaking, but I'm sure that'll go away soon enough if I end up not dropping this. I honestly am not the greatest at recognizing good voice acting as I mostly read manga, but on a subjective point of view, I felt it was all around well done.

Thirdly, I want to talk about plot itself. I'm either really dumb or the show purposely made the first episode extremely vague. I can't get into detail or I'll risk spoiling sections of the story, but when I gathered all my information from the episode and thought to myself what the plot was, I could not pinpoint it. I have sort of an idea, but it's one episode in and I could be completely wrong. At the very end of it, I just thought "okay, that's your role, and what you're supposed to do, but what exactly are you doing with it?". I also found myself asking if some characters would be prevalent in the story or not, or if they'd fade into minuscule roles and be forgotten about.

While watching the episode, I actually felt little to no tension from what was happening at all. The tone of the story for the most part looks like it'll be lighthearted without feeling tense very often. It also felt like it was progressing quite slowly, while the scenes were moving along quite fast. The slight art style change when they're in the transformed states kind of threw me off, but it's something I can adapt to. On the battles themselves, I think this is the kind of anime where the fights will become more hectic and intense as the story progress with the characters probably gaining new abilities as they improve their skills. So I'm actually looking forward to the later fight scenes.

After completing the episode, I didn't really feel anything. I kind of felt indifferent if that makes any sense. I don't think the episode was bad at all, but it was a little lacking, and there wasn't really any scene that made me excited for the next episode. I pretty much just watched it then moved on. While I thought it resembled older style anime's, I also thought it was quite forgettable if left alone for more than a week. Overall, I think it's a good enough anime to try out just to see if it's right for you. This was my first impression, now good night, I'm really tired so I'll revisit this in the morning.

Thanks
    It had a few similarities to the Zeta opening. Well I'll check it out anyways. When Mushishi and JoJo start airing you should give them a try.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Grumpy
    Yeah I was actually thinking of doing this to lots of the other anime this season as well since I'll be off school.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    I'm actually sorry, it's toodamnlong for me to read. :/
    Formerly known as gamer4evere

Participated on:
    MPGH GAMING NIGHT 08/03/2015 - Town of Salem

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    That looks suuuuuuuuuuuuper generic.

And tiger/bunny animation? Lame.