Thanks
    My Mood
    Innocent

Here's a tip for people who have their own server

Okay, So it seems like quite a few servers have started up now in the past month or so.

I decided I'd give a good advice for the people who wants to have it running more than a week/a month etc...

There are some very basic things you need to think about.

1. Keep your source secure. <Don't just hire anyone, Make sure they're trustworthy first or you will have leaks>
    2. Get proper staff. <Most servers just blindly pick people without looking into them. I suggest making sure you know who they are before you hire them>
    3. Don't claim other peoples work as your own. <This can create hate and if the wrong person is against you... Well let's just say that a server can die very fast after that>
    4. Don't get greedy or cocky. <This is the most common down fall of servers. Because someone geets greedy or cocky over their own knowledge>
    5. Learn the code yourself before you start doing anything. <This is actually pretty important. Because some devs tend to come to the owner / project leader for help if something is wrong and they don't understand it> (Not everything can be found or fixed by mpgh you know)

5 simple things to think about before making your own server and just putting it out there.

My name is Kithio, My former name would be MaohNoRaiden or LuciTheForgotten. I was a prime developer for MMOE and a Strong Asset to Phoenix Realms over the past 6-8 months and I'm currently working on my own project with @C453 and @Club559.

I recommend taking my advices I've given here in this thread as it could ensure the safety of your servers continuous existance.

Also just a small tip for hiring devs specificly... Try to ensure that they don't work on multiple servers as that could end up like some other servers did. Like Dark Realms, Who's devs have taken content from other servers and implemented it to it's own. This will mostly just cause even more lag and memory leaks and will result in the server being pretty much unplayable because of the constant crashes that is brings with it.

This has been Kithio giving you a good advice for making your own server. Hopefully someone will be smart enough to follow them so we can get a new big server project to take over now that things are changing. <!-- (@ProHackBot999) -->
    Last edited by Kithio; 06-09-2014 at 06:11 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kithio For This Useful Post:

[MPGH]Ahl (06-10-2014),BlackRayquaza (06-10-2014),C453 (06-09-2014),Stellar Spark (06-09-2014),Travoos (06-09-2014)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Thanks for posting this. Some people need a refresher on some of those points. Definitely agree with number two, I have seen some rather incompetent or just generally malicious staff around these pservers.

Quote Originally Posted by ckrel View Post
    Sold him 6spd,recomp,bskull,gcookie,holy guid and exadef. Vouched. An awesome buyer.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerlinWolf View Post
    Btw UrASmurf Trade went well with him, he went first and he bought over 30 pots!
    Quote Originally Posted by ckrel View Post
    >>UrASmurf - Sold him another 20def today. Fast and smooth trade.

Quote Originally Posted by WIGxWIGx View Post
    Vouch. He went first. Smooth trade!
    Quote Originally Posted by krazyshank View Post
    @UrASmurf is a great trader, flexable around an issue I had and even left a tip! Vouch!
    Quote Originally Posted by DiGyy View Post
    Bump.
    Bought last one from @UrASmurf , looking to buy new one.

Quote Originally Posted by krazyshank View Post
    Bump again
    Sold 40 def + some tops to @UrASmurf

Thanks
    My Mood
    Busy
    I'm sad... I work alone. heh... erm.
    Server alive since May, 2013

Still kickin'

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Potammies For This Useful Post:

BlackRayquaza (06-10-2014),Mitcheel (06-13-2014)